Calendars and timekeeping

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Calendars and timekeeping

Post by Turtlehead »

sano wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:I like your system.
nyasa
Thank you.
Just wondering whether you were aware of this.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Aware, yes, but not extremely familiar...why?

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Was looking on wikipedia about the transit of Venus and stumbled upon that. I found it to be new knowledge to me, and thought that it fits with your 19 day month and 19 month year. Then I found that your system looks awefully like the Bahai calender. That is all.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Jerian
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jerian »

My conworld, Dreris, is a meteoroid, with an atmosphere and oceans. It does not have a rotation, however it revolves around its star in approx. 20 hours.

Drerisians began to get the need for organization of dates and time before they understood how the universe works and such... As a result, their dating system is not built off any natural phenomenon.

- Drerisian years are 625 days (most of Dreris uses a base 5 counting system, 625 being the first 5 digit number)
- time is measured in decimals (ironically, this system was adapted from Eastern Dreris, one of the few places which uses base ten counting)
ie: I'll be there in .6 days

Important dates and such are arranged year.day.time (Yes, significant dates also have time)

example:

The last Merantian/Jesinthian war ended in 3689.595.6 . (.6 would've been around 4pm by Earth standards)

The meteoroid has no tilt, and thus all days are equally long. .0 is the exact middle of the night, .25 being sunrise, .5 being sun's zenith, and .75 being sunset.

Dreris has 3 moons, and they revolve around Dreris in random patterns, constantly being altered by eachother's gravity.

There is no need for timezones, or international date line. The three continents of Dreris take up 1% of the body's surface. The ratio of land : water in Dreris is roughly the same as Europe : all of Earth.

The mass of Dreris is roughly three times that of Earth.
"Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will reveal his true face" --Oscar Wilde

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Kårroť has a short year and about half of Earth's axial tilt. I might increase the negligent effect of seasons by increasing eccentricity, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, I am not sure about what is the base unit of my calendrical year. Should it be a sidereal year? Should one year be X amount of harvest seasons? Why do we count years instead of seasons anyway? Why do we have lunar and lunisolar calendars? How would a lunar or lunisolar system even work with two moons?
Ancient Egypt's calendar may have used the Nile's floods and/or the heliacal rising of Sirius to determine the insertion of a leap month. Do any of your conworld's calendars use unusual variables?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť