Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by dhok »

Lots of people have diachronics questions, so let's put all the sound change quickies into one thread.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Nortaneous »

What's the best way to derive a set of affricates along the lines of /tsʰ ts tɬʰ tɬ tʂʰ tʂ tʃʰ tʃ/?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Nortaneous wrote:What's the best way to derive a set of affricates along the lines of /tsʰ ts tɬʰ tɬ tʂʰ tʂ tʃʰ tʃ/?
From what kind of initial inventory?

MadBrain
Sanci
Sanci

Post by MadBrain »

Nortaneous wrote:What's the best way to derive a set of affricates along the lines of /tsʰ ts tɬʰ tɬ tʂʰ tʂ tʃʰ tʃ/?
Palatalization.
鱼 发文 的 西可热特 么色只!

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
Something along the lines of /pʰ p tʰ t kʰ k m n ŋ s h l r j w/. I don't really know what I'm going to do with that protolang. Might have a series of uvulars in there also, and I'll probably end up dropping the aspirated series and deriving them from geminates.

I was thinking of using something like:
l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
and either starting with /ts/ or getting it from some variation of /s/, but I'm not sure how realistic any of that is.
MadBrain wrote:
Palatalization.
How? Seems to me that that only takes care of the postalveolars.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Nortaneous wrote:I was thinking of using something like:
l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
Yeah, this second part make sense to me along the lines of something like rr > tr > tʂ or tʂʰ. I would think the first one would be conditioned? Unless you're going to fill in those open sonorants with some other change, you'd have a weird inventory.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I have a rule in Kohanese that between vowels, consonants lenite (such as t>þ) but that they do not do so after a stressed vowel. Plausible?

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

dhokarena56 wrote:I have a rule in Kohanese that between vowels, consonants lenite (such as t>þ) but that they do not do so after a stressed vowel. Plausible?
Yes.

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

That's pretty much the exact condition for Verner's Law, except initial consonants resisted Verner's Law, so it's definitely plausible.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
Yeah, this second part make sense to me along the lines of something like rr > tr > tʂ or tʂʰ. I would think the first one would be conditioned? Unless you're going to fill in those open sonorants with some other change, you'd have a weird inventory.
Geminated consonants would already all be fortis.

The first one would probably only occur in codas, and I might have something similar happen with nasals: m n ŋ > bm dn gŋ > b d g / _%. (Is that the symbol for a syllable boundary?)

I'd probably also roll up some other clusters into that. I'm thinking maybe something like: (P = plosive)
Pl Pr Pj > tɬ tʂ cç
P:l P:r P:j > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Nortaneous wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:
l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
Geminated consonants would already all be fortis.

The first one would probably only occur in codas, and I might have something similar happen with nasals: m n ŋ > bm dn gŋ > b d g / _%. (Is that the symbol for a syllable boundary?)

I'd probably also roll up some other clusters into that. I'm thinking maybe something like: (P = plosive)
Pl Pr Pj > tɬ tʂ cç
P:l P:r P:j > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
Yeah, now I see this as perfectly reasonable and fine!

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

I have a language that doesn't allow /w j/ in codas; if they end up there, they become vowels and diphthongize the preceding vowel, so /aj/ becomes /a͡i/. However, diphthongs only form when the second vowel is higher, and so I'm not sure what to do with /iw/ and /uy/. Are /ju/ and /wi/, respectively, plausible developments?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

Definitely. Middle English /ew/, /iw/ > Modern English /ju/, for example.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Would it be reasonable to change a vowel pharyngealization contrast into tone?

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Yes, definitely.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Nortaneous wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:
Something along the lines of /pʰ p tʰ t kʰ k m n ŋ s h l r j w/. I don't really know what I'm going to do with that protolang. Might have a series of uvulars in there also, and I'll probably end up dropping the aspirated series and deriving them from geminates.

l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
and either starting with /ts/ or getting it from some variation of /s/, but I'm not sure how realistic any of that is.
MadBrain wrote:
Palatalization.
/t<C>/ clusters. /ts tl tr tj/ maybe to /t^s t^K t^s` t^S/. /ths thl thr thj/ to /t^sh t^Kh t^s`h t^Sh/. No idea if this is plausible, but I have considered it for a descendant of Chambren. Using canSAMPA.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Canepari wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:

l r j > tɬ tʂ cç
ll rr jj > tɬʰ tʂʰ cçʰ
MadBrain wrote:
Palatalization.
/t<C>/ clusters. /ts tl tr tj/ maybe to /t^s t^K t^s` t^S/. /ths thl thr thj/ to /t^sh t^Kh t^s`h t^Sh/. No idea if this is plausible, but I have considered it for a descendant of Chambren. Using canSAMPA.
Oh for heaven's sake. I was going to say this, basically, but do you really have to ruin it by making up a transcription system that's pointless and nobody else uses? :x

Even then I think you're using the wrong brackets.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Canepari wrote:/t<C>/ clusters. /ts tl tr tj/ maybe to /t^s t^K t^s` t^S/. /ths thl thr thj/ to /t^sh t^Kh t^s`h t^Sh/. No idea if this is plausible, but I have considered it for a descendant of Chambren. Using canSAMPA.
Sounds realistic enough to me. Also, can* is for phonetic detail; X-SAMPA and IPA work well enough on the phonemic level. Don't hammer in the screw.

(Although, having said that, canSAMPA does have a few features that would be useful for writing the phonemic level; ^ is definitely something that I wish X-SAMPA had, and it could easily be extended to, say, /t^s^h/ for IPA /t͡sʰ/, so as not to limit the amount of diacritics available to write additional phonetic segments contained in the same phonemic segment. And yeah, that can be done with X-SAMPA <)> or CXS/Z-SAMPA/whichever one I'm thinking of <+>, but those are ugly and rather unintuitive, and the X-SAMPA tiebar doesn't handle strings of more than two characters well. <ts)h)>?)

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I don't know whether it is the best, but in Brishkan (an Albic language under development) I have these (and some other) changes:

tʰs > tsʰ
ks > tʂ
kʰs > tʂʰ
gz > dʐ
tj > tʃ
tʰj > tʃʰ
dj > dʒ
kl > tɬ
kʰl > tɬʰ
gl > dl
tl > tɬ
tʰl > tɬʰ
tʰr > tr̥ʰ
tr > tr̥
kʰr > tr̥ʰ
kr > tr̥
gr > dr

All the affricates you want, plus some rhotic ones.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

How realistic is */r ʀ/ :> /d g/? What about */ð/ :> /ɣ/?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

What about */ð/ :> /ɣ/?
This happened in Irish. They don't use the spelling <dh> to be perverse. Well, not only to be perverse.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:How realistic is */r ʀ/ :> /d g/? What about */ð/ :> /ɣ/?
/ð/ > /ɣ/ happened in all three Goidelic languages. /r/ > /d/ makes sense, especially if the rhotic is flapped (a flap is basically a very brief stop), and /ʀ/ > /g/ is much the same farther back in the mouth, so I see no problem with that either. I have seen weirder changes.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Nortaneous wrote:
Canepari wrote:/t<C>/ clusters. /ts tl tr tj/ maybe to /t^s t^K t^s` t^S/. /ths thl thr thj/ to /t^sh t^Kh t^s`h t^Sh/. No idea if this is plausible, but I have considered it for a descendant of Chambren. Using canSAMPA.
Sounds realistic enough to me. Also, can* is for phonetic detail; X-SAMPA and IPA work well enough on the phonemic level. Don't hammer in the screw.

(Although, having said that, canSAMPA does have a few features that would be useful for writing the phonemic level; ^ is definitely something that I wish X-SAMPA had, and it could easily be extended to, say, /t^s^h/ for IPA /t͡sʰ/, so as not to limit the amount of diacritics available to write additional phonetic segments contained in the same phonemic segment. And yeah, that can be done with X-SAMPA <)> or CXS/Z-SAMPA/whichever one I'm thinking of <+>, but those are ugly and rather unintuitive, and the X-SAMPA tiebar doesn't handle strings of more than two characters well. <ts)h)>?)
That's why I will use it from now on, to preach the Gospel according to Saint Lucian...
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:How realistic is */r ʀ/ :> /d g/?
I think r >: d is attested in Malayo-Polynesian (there's a large area where *d and *r merge, sometimes to /r/, sometimes to /d/).

For Nort's affricate issue, consider deriving some of the affricates secondarily from the others. Maybe first *t :> *tʲ :> *ts by some sort of palatalization, or *ks :> ts, then assimilations: *ts-l :> tɬ-l, or *lts *rts :> tɬ tʂ.

(It is of course entirely acceptable to also start with a bunch of affricates in the protolang and have them merge into something or the other elsewhere.)
Not actually new.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Is it at all plausible to have a series of palatals but no velars (except allophonically)? If so, how might it come about? Fronting of velars?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s