Phrase Building

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Phrase Building

Post by Sevly »

Aaaaaaaaaaah, too quick for me, Arz. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to do two :) Also, this is an excellent necro, masako!

Deevi:
masako wrote:They have lived their whole lives by gathering firewood.
Damóntemísutéme mánttemu káuskoromukérdenmetáki ime.
[ˈdamowntsɛˈmɪs̩ˈtsɛmɛ ˈmaʕntstjɛm̩ ˈkawskɔrɔm̩ˈkɛddm̩mɛˈtɐx jɪmɛ]
DIST-crowd-to-life-of-all-in now-to-on firewood-on-gather-in-continue COP.3-in

"Over their whole lives to now, (they) continue by gathering firewood."
Arzena wrote:His greatest mistake was not by demanding too much but expecting too little.
Datíistitéttmuháremu témurstsuhátti téssuútenti déren.
[ˈdasstɪˈtsɛtɛmˈɣɐrɛm̩ ˈtsejmw̩ss̩ˈɣɐtstɪ ˈtejss̩ˈwʊtn̩tɪ ˈdejrə]
DIST-man-from-all-over-mistake-TOP demand-of-tall-from expect-of-short-from second

"On his greatest mistake, (it's) the latter of demanding too much and expecting too little."

Next: "The most difficult part," he said, putting on his glasses, "is that—well, they never get the colour quite right now, do they?" He shook his head. "This is definitely a turquoise and not a cyan."

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Sevly wrote:Also, this is an excellent necro, masako!
I'm glad you agree!
Sevly wrote:Next: "The most difficult part," he said, putting on his glasses, "is that—well, they never get the colour quite right now, do they?" He shook his head. "This is definitely a turquoise and not a cyan."
kye ”munyeha” ha tsaye uanku hayo tlapi “e amak kam ke sahi sahyatle teha – ke ka” ha ke ana hayo nkohaye “uame itla ke kuyanila ehe nilahik”
INDS be.difficult-AUG 3sg while spectacles 3sg.POSS don INTJ never 3pl O color correct-REL achieve - O Q 3sg O head shake-PST certain this O green-blue but blue-DIM-NEG

INDS = indirect speech marker

next: She has an irresistible temptation about her.

Arzakon
Niš
Niš

Post by Arzakon »

Oh, I love this thread. Bremsic is in the works, now, but this would be fun and helpful. Let's try:
masako wrote:She has an irresistible temptation about her
Uhm... my lexicon is too small, let's build words :P.

Te zeneden men rensail fenalezan tenu.
/Te zeneðen men renəil feniorizən tenɯ/
pron.3ps-nom.hum v.prog-hum-to.feel art.nt immortal-nt fire-wanted-nt.acc pron.3ps-hum.dat
lit. She/He is feeling an immortal temptation for her.
She has an irresistible temptation about her.

Some explanation for the gloss:
Hum - Human gender
Nt - Neutral gender
Spl - Superlative
In Bremsama there's no femenine/masculine difference in pronouns.

I have no idea if there are some rules of which sentences are valid, let's make something from scratch.

Next: "At the beginning, before the awakening of the three, there was chaos."

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Arzakon wrote:next: "At the beginning, before the awakening of the three, there was chaos."
Kala:

ke mulahue ma'e akya ha'oyo tsatoye
O begining-LOC before awake three-GEN chaos-PST

next: "Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst. And corrupts the best."

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

masako wrote:"Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst. And corrupts the best."
Deevi:

Téme dekípeime téesi. Téttmuvédetti ráar. Utni téttmudétmu vétorihistmemét.
[ˈtsejmɛ ˈdɛkijpɛjmɛ ˈtsejzʲɪ ‖ ˈtsejtɛmˌβɛdɛtstʲɪ ˈraʕə ‖ hʊnʲ ˈtsejtɛmˌdɛtsm̩ ˈβejtɔrɪɣɪssmɛˈmɛt]
all-in from-danger-COP.3-in power | all-above-bad-from attract | previous-with all-above-good-on corruption-in-put

"Power always endangers. (It) attracts the worst. And corrupts the best."

Next: "The principal agent of change is time. Would you now, ten years on, have done differently? Will you tomorrow?"

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Sevly wrote:Next: "The principal agent of change is time. Would you now, ten years on, have done differently? Will you tomorrow?"
Kala:

ama nya munta ke tsisu tsuya | ima pue anyo ue’o ke ipa muya ka | yomatli ka
time for change O factor principal | now after year ten O different do Q | tomorrow Q

next: "We are sorely in need of support as the government has refused external aid."

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

masako wrote:"We are sorely in need of support as the government has refused external aid."
I hemmed and hawed over how to derive a word for "government" here. In the end, I've thrown in the towel and am instead deferring it until I can think through a holistic set of words for politics. So, bit of a cheat here.

Deevi:

Térostsu vékanatiímotmuóparen úttide téndmuhátmúrstsime.
[ˈtejrɔss̩ ˈβejkɐnɐtɪˌjɪmɔtsm̩wɔprə | ˈhʊtɪzɛ ˈtejnzm̩ˌhɐtsmw̩ssɪmɛ]
king:under not:community:from:help:on:refuse previous:out_of support:on:tall:need:COP.1:in

"Because the king has refused help from outside the community, we are in tall need of support."

Next: "Where there is darkness, enter light. For without it, nothing can grow—not even the hardiest weed, let alone the good crop."

Lich
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lich »

Akša maala šaidarum, maasma lör. M'tšir anidal dakjar alta tšeglyr — turg d'šavanhar tyglyš, šienyhtel tarka nuohua.
[ˈɑkʃɑ ˈmɑːlɑ ˈʃɑi̯dɑrum ˈmɑːsmɑ lø̞r m̩t͡ʃir ˈɑnidɑl ˈdɑkjɑr ˈɑltɑ ˈt͡ʃe̞glyr turg ˈt͡ʃɑʋɑŋxɑr ˈtyglyʃ ˈʃie̯nyçte̞l ˈtɑrkɑ ˈnuo̯xu.ɑ]
when be.EXPL-3SG.PRS-SUBJ darkness be.EXPL-3SG.FUT-OPT light. EXPL=because medial.DEM-ABES nothing able-3SG.PRS grow-INF — even NEG=tough.SUPL wild-DIM speak-RES.ABES good-PART crop-PART
Where there is darkness, enter light. For without it, nothing can grow—not even the hardiest weed, let alone the good crop.

Next: "This is the collapse of the mind which has, in the cloudy silence of the heart, advanced towards absolute nothingness."
Karajakor dazaran

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Sevly wrote:I hemmed and hawed over how to derive a word for "government" here. In the end, I've thrown in the towel and am instead deferring it until I can think through a holistic set of words for politics. So, bit of a cheat here.
Couldn't you use a verb like "govern" and extrapolate from there? Even monarchical states tend to have a concept of governing. Just a thought.

이도냐 더 아나 거 므탄거 마아 교아 녀반 더 모요 가어라부터
itonya te ana ke mutlanke ma’a kyo’a nyepan te moyo ka’elapuatle
PROX-collapse GEN mind O absolute-ABE with quiet cloud-ADV GEN heart toward-MOT-PFV-REL
This is the collapse of the mind which has, in the cloudy silence of the heart, advanced towards absolute nothingness.

next: "Good doctors explain things to patients in easily understandable ways, using anatomical models and such."

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

masako wrote:Couldn't you use a verb like "govern" and extrapolate from there? Even monarchical states tend to have a concept of governing. Just a thought.
Oh, I should definitely have a word for the concept, no argument there. I had thought about having a "govern" verb and then a derived noun for "government" but it feels a bit too similar to English, so we'll see. I'll have to get to it eventually.
masako wrote:"Good doctors explain things to patients in easily understandable ways, using anatomical models and such."
Deevi:

Détkísi tézuutiiste rásatemudékoédani úrentiúsiukimuádermumóni értidet.
[ˈdejtskɪzɪ ˈtejzʊstjɛ ˈraʕzɐtsɛm̩ˌdɛkɔˌjɛdɐnʲ ˈwuwrəⁿtɪˌwʊzɛɔkɪm̩ˌhɐdəmm̩ˌmɔnʲ ˈjertsjɪdɛt]
good:doctor patient:to understand:up:to:clear:way:with body:from:model:on:similar:on:use:with explain:COP:IMP

"Good doctors should explain (things) to patients in easy-to-understand ways using body models and such."

Next: "Well, I once made the mistake of screwing my own brother, so there's that." (beat) "Screwing him over, I mean."