Phrase Building

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Phrase Building

Post by Thry »

ol bofosh wrote:Um gowk pore pa vu lexaw.
1p.INC drink-FUT possibly DEF until to.vomit
Let's drink until we throw up.

I haven't got conjunctions, so I have used a postposition instead, vu. I've put the definite article pa in front of it to show it is fulfilling a conjunctive function. At least, that's how I understand it.
How is vu (working as) a postposition if it's before the word it modifies (lexaw, in this case)? Compare Spanish prepositional usage of: hasta vomitar.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

ol bofosh wrote:Next: What time do we get off?
Kala:

ama nimupua ka
['a:ma ni'mu:pʷa ka]
time work.ending Q

next: There are too many onions in this salad!

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

sano wrote:next: There are too many onions in this salad!
Kàipói:

Cánì ái ato comì no kapóti ki nò hianà cánì.
[sɐ˦.ní˨ ai̯˦ ɐ˧.do˨ sɔ˧.mʲĩ˨ dɔ˧.ɡɐ˧.bʷɔ˦.ɟɪ˧ɡʲi˧ nɔ̃˨ʑi̯ɐ˧.nã˨]
DEM be much excessively GEN onion PL INE salad DEM

Next: You have to make people respect the emperor.
Last edited by Click on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Ean wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Um gowk pore pa vu lexaw.
1p.INC drink-FUT possibly DEF until to.vomit
Let's drink until we throw up.

I haven't got conjunctions, so I have used a postposition instead, vu. I've put the definite article pa in front of it to show it is fulfilling a conjunctive function. At least, that's how I understand it.
How is vu (working as) a postposition if it's before the word it modifies (lexaw, in this case)? Compare Spanish prepositional usage of: hasta vomitar.
Well, in this instance isn't a postposition, it has become a "conjunction" (at least that's its function).

I don't have conjunctions and I've been trying to avoid them. The time has come to do something though. Instead of inventing new words I took pre-existent postposition words, combined them with the definite article and there I have a "conjunction".
Except it goes in between the conjuncts, not after them, otherwise I might get confused by complicated where I don't know what is getting conjuncted. The pa is for a similar reason, without it I might mistakenly attach it (in my mind) to the previous NP, not to the conjuncts.
It was about time I changed this.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

2-4 wrote:You have to make people respect the emperor.
Tim Ar

tlnês eras iz*ín ur udélsé ar ök udélsé m édés moro ké
/tl̩.ˈnɤ́s è.ˈɹàs ì.ˈSín ùɹ ù.ˈdél.sé àɹ ø̀k ùˈtél.sé m̩ ˈé.tés mò.ˈɹò ké/
[tl̩.ˈnɤ́s è.ˈɹàs ì.ˈZín ùɹ ù.ˈdél.sé àɹ ø̀k ùˈdél.sé m̩ ˈé.dés mò.ˈɹò ké]
tlnês eras iz*ín ur udélsé ar ök udélsé Ø m édés moro ké
must cause confer.upon respect being PL rule being SG GEN apex 2PS IMP.SG

/S/ [Z] indicates a reflex of original */θ/ *[ð], the realization of which can differ wildly across dialects.

Next sentence:
Whoever wrote Rarity's lines for the MLP:FIM episode 'Lesson Zero' (according to Google) apparently wrote:Of all the worst things that could happen, this is the worst possible thing!
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

Whoever wrote Rarity's lines for the MLP:FIM episode 'Lesson Zero' (according to Google) apparently wrote:Of all the worst things that could happen, this is the worst possible thing!
Dert sue met tee vedet mue datie dert mee tee mue vedet ie doane.
/'zr̩tsəmɛtstjɛ 'βɛdɛtsmə ˈdatɪzr̩tsmɛ ↗ ˈtsɛməβɛdɛtsjɪ ↗ ˈdʊnə/

dert sue met tee vedet mue
possible under put to bad on
"the worst that could happen"

da-tie dert mee tee mue
DIST-from possible in all on
"above everything possible from that"

vedet ie do-ane
bad COP PROX-line
"bad is this line (of events)"

"Of all the worst (things) that could happen, this is the worst possible thing!"

Next, because it's stuck in my head:
Maroon 5 wrote:I'm at a payphone trying to call home; all of my change I spend on you.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

sano wrote:next: There are too many onions in this salad!
Lol. I read that as "There are too many opinions in this salad!"
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Sevly wrote:
Next, because it's stuck in my head:
Maroon 5 wrote:I'm at a payphone trying to call home; all of my change I spend on you.
Yeah that song really is annoying. It's probably a good song, but because I hear it five times a day it's hard not to hate it.

Poswa (the only language that's really developed enough to do things like this):

fo "I"
puve "bill, something that must be (pre-)paid"
wopo "phone" (from popo "voice" with a consonant gradation that shows it's manmade)

-m locative suffix
Fo puvewopom "I'm at a payphone" ... no verb is needed, nor any article on the noun ... also it keeps the rhythm of the syllables.
---------
tobvop "to call out, talk loudly, yell as if trying to make oneself heard far away"
-ak- "to attempt, try unsuccessfully" ...
plina "home, safe place"
-p accusative suffix

plinap tobvwobbo "trying to call home" ... though it's unlikely that a verb like this would keep a synthetic form for "to try" as opposed to the analytic -ak-. Stll has the same number of syllables as the English although I Had to cut it off in the middle of a word.
-----------

nadžab "remainder, rest" ... Poswobs dont use coins enough to have a word that just means "change left over from a transaction that was rounded to a larger amount"
-o "my"
baby "all, whole, entire"
lapa "to spend" ... there is apparently no native word that just means "spend" as opposed to "buy" ... I could make one, but I'm still trying to get the number of syylables to match so I'll take a loan from Khulls
mi "you"
-s genitive case marker ... will work well in this example as a dative, although accusative would also work since one would know by context that it is money that 's being spent, not a human being
nadžabwobabop mes lapabo "all of my change, I spent on you"
----------
Fo puvewopom, plinap tobvwobbo, nadžabwobabop mes lapabo
YAY! I did it with exactly the same number of syllables! :D :D :D (insert waterfall of boingies)
Well technically it's one syllable longer but the rhythm of the song seems to provide for two syllables in the word "spend" so it works.

-------

Next:

"The deal is OFF!"
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

Soap wrote:Yeah that song really is annoying. It's probably a good song, but because I hear it five times a day it's hard not to hate it.
Yeah, I don't even like it that much but it's an earworm.
Soap wrote: Fo puvewopom, plinap tobvwobbo, nadžabwobabop mes lapabo
YAY! I did it with exactly the same number of syllables! :D :D :D (insert waterfall of boingies)
Well technically it's one syllable longer but the rhythm of the song seems to provide for two syllables in the word "spend" so it works.
Awesome! Might mangle the pronunciation a bit but now I'm going to spend the rest of the day with this line running through my head.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Soap wrote:Next: "The deal is OFF!"
Kala:

mak nkata
[ma:k 'ᵑka:ta]
and.NEG agree(ment)

next: We will never have (own) another cat.

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

sano wrote:We will never have (own) another cat.
Demant dee sue vurie nie veene sie mee.
/ˈdɛmantsdɛsə ˈβʌrɪnjɪ ˈβɛnəzmɛ/

de=mant dee sue vurie nie ve-ene sie mee
DET=now down from cat with NEG-have COP.1 in

"We will never have another cat" < "From now on we don't have a cat."

Next: Additional information is needed to connect to the network.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Sevly wrote:Next: Additional information is needed to connect to the network.
Kala:

냐 즈나 마하 조호 허야
nya tsuna maha tsoho heya
[ɲa 'tʃu:na 'ma:ha 'tʃo:ho 'ɦe:ja]
BEN connection more information necessary

next: There needs to be a warning label on these/this pills/medicine.

Yagia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yagia »

sano wrote: next: There needs to be a warning label on these/this pills/medicine.
Vayardyio:

Side éfournatine mo désitrou codio stipanésara sédassine
These[DET OBVpl] medicines[/i] [OBVpl] [indef art] sign/label[OBVsg] warning show[INF] must[COND3pl]

"These medicines should display a warning label"

Next:

Finally, as their map proved false, they got lost altogether and had to turn back before night would fall, since no-one had thought of bringing torches.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou accronésara! http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Vayardyio

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Yagia wrote:Finally, as their map proved false, they got lost altogether and had to turn back before night would fall, since no-one had thought of bringing torches.
Beechmui, ñarsik fkeungeuo peuol dang tui klerññat chdorloy ley gnop ftek sdaa jarttmeen gjeh hor sway tui sianggel huoo gna logeuu soy ptiahkeuong.
in.the.end map reveal be.false therefore 3 become.lost be.complete and stop return must happen.before night spread because 3 think.of NEG regardless who torch bring

Next: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

cartweel
Niš
Niš

Post by cartweel »

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
In ceng phabhōl:

ghu phabho' bim ladh deghōl at ta dhupongīl.
Overmuch declared hast some of bureaucratic missives regarding my becoming deceased.

Next phrase:

"Ugh, why do i only panic about things at 2 in the morning when it's so much worse?"
"I bet [i]your[/i] Sun-Prince can't bend like [i]that[/i]!" said the Joppan to the Northlander. And he was right.

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

cartweel wrote:Next phrase:

"Ugh, why do i only panic about things at 2 in the morning when it's so much worse?"
In my pseudo-Asian unnamed lang:
Formal (as it should be said):
Gai ye! Monyai tsa buong loy du sok kabi ni guai po buong hang mee wo?
[gai̯ je moɲai̯ tʃa 'bu.ɔŋ loi̯ du sɔk 'ka.bi ni 'gu.ai̯ pɔ 'bu.ɔŋ haŋ 'me.e wɔ]

Informal (as most people say it):
Ga' ye! Monya tsai bwong loy du sok'abi n' wai po bwong h'ng me wo?
[ga je moɲa tʃai̯ bʷɔŋ loi̯ du sɔ.'ka.bi nʷai̯ pɔ bʷɔŋ hŋ́ me wɔ]

EXCL why.INTERROGATORY I thing many ABOUT morning early IN/AT panic.PRESENT when.RELATIVE thing all bad more

Next: Sadly, we haven't had time to take in the sights yet, but we'd like to visit the palace.
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

ZMoring wrote:Sadly, we haven't had time to take in the sights yet, but we'd like to visit the palace.
Repetitive semi-formal La-Pu, because long words are fantastic:

Dauunuu anqinauan ansaghak anaa sizuiiamaadiamprakamia, taudautuu anjadak pharkaadipautshagabi.
dauun-uu an-qin-a-ua-n an-sag-a-k an-a-a siz-uiiam-aad-iampr-i-a taudaut-uu an-jad-a-k phark-aad-ipautsh-agab-i
sad-ADV HON-see-N-place-GEN HON-time-N-OBJ 1-N-PL have-recent.past-1.PL-anyways-only-do-NEG HON.but-ADV HON-palace-N-OBJ stop.by-1.PL-want-could-do
Sadly we just are not having sight-seeing time but otherwise we really do want to visit the palace.

Next: I can see if we have anymore in stock, but I don't think we do/you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

valiums wrote:Next: I can see if we have anymore in stock, but I don't think we do/you shouldn't get your hopes up.
Continuing on "ERMAGERD, LERNG WERDS" with Ishdes:

Juyojisojushuvkoloiji jaiddebusharenavdebufu evu, jujedekotas velidnatke hajon.
[dʒu.jo.dʒi.so.dʒu.ʃuv.kol.oi.dʒi dʒa.id.dɛ.bu.ʃa.ʁɛn.av.dɛ.bu.fu ev.u | dʒu.dʒɛ.dɛ.ko.tas vɛl.id.nat.ke hadʒ.on]
ACC.3P.INANIMATE.SING.LOC.ADJ.ACC.complete.item.INANIMATE.PLURAL.LOC see.PRESENT.COND.DEPRESSIVE.1ST-ACTION.FIND.FUTURE.COND.DEPRESSIVE.2ND-ACTION 1P.FEM.SING | ACC.PROS.victory.INANIMATE.SING.however dance.PRESENT.OPTATIVE.PREVENTATIVE 2P.MASC
"I could look and find it in the inventory, but you should not dance yet to victory."

EDIT: Oh right. Next: The barbeque should be lit up for the stakes, though that idiot over there might have forgotten about it; if he did, smack him for me will you?

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

Matrix wrote:The barbeque should be lit up for the stakes, though that idiot over there might have forgotten about it; if he did, smack him for me will you?
La-Pu, featuring my patent NFG Gloss:

Prrstabawa haspibuabi cudā sizī, mū, shuňňuňisa rbakitatih. Sizasi sī, anitsita balkaki hu.
Prrst-ab-awa hasp-ibuab-i cud-ā siz-ī, m-ū, shuq-ňuň-is-a rbak-itat-i-h. Siz-as-i s-ī, an-itsit-a balk-ak-i h-u.
barbaque-OBJ-place light.match-need-do steak-P.N do-SUBJ, but-ADV.TOP, yon-fool-SUB-N forget-possible-do. Be-he-do be-SUBJ, I-benefit-N smack-you-do yeah.

The barbaque needs to be lit to make steaks, but that idiot might have forgotten. That, if being that, you hit him for me, okay?

Next: There's this wonderful place on the other side of town where you can see the sun set behind the mountains. I go there all the time.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

valiums wrote:Next: There's this wonderful place on the other side of town where you can see the sun set behind the mountains. I go there all the time.
Himmaswa:
Din tway ler koh gnia n’geak gmar ley key twarng gek ler fau keun archoyk borm. Hwai keuong guangfong.
side be.far belong city place be.wonderful be.present and sunset be.at opposite.side belong mountain TPC watch can | 1 go do.frequently

Next: We've just gotten done moving all the supplies up from the river bank.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

clawgrip wrote:Next: We've just gotten done moving all the supplies up from the river bank.
Nahakhontl:

Ðúnal ača ônal ðúkô yaxlr mô frú vek kex hôga xík.
[ðʌˈnal aˈt͡ʃa oˈnal ðʌ'ko jaksˈlɹ̩ mo ˈfɹʌ βɛk ˈkɛks hoˈga ksik]
now ready PRESENT.be CONTINUOUS.subtract all box PLURAL in-front from upon bank

Next: The way that these motes have arranged themselves in their lattice of cycles should not have begun this reverberating cascade of interference.

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

La-Pu:

Shazzupaikhā hutisa cāppi, miqaikhā lattissasā gailī, sisisi, yakayakayan mabaňaikha taitlladisa adattasi bu.
Shaq-zup-aikh-ā hut-is-a cāpp-as-i, miq-aikh-ā lattiss-as-ā gail-i-i, sizi-sī, yakayak-aya-n mabaň-aikh-a taiq-tlad-is-a adatt-as-i b-u.
this-mote-POSS-P way-SUB-N arrange-it-do, cycle-POSS-P nope-SUB-P form-do-SUBJ, be-be.SUBJ, echo-idea-GEN cascade-POSS-N difficult.river-SUB-N begin-it-do not-ADV

The way these motes arrange themselves, if forming lattice cycles, be that as it is, it should not have begun an echoing cascade of interference.

Or, less strictly:

Shazzupān huta cāppi, miqān lattissā gailī, sisisi, yakayakayan mabaňan taitllada adattasi bu.
Shaq-zup-ā-n hut-a cāpp-as-i, miq-ā-n lattiss-ā gail-i-i, sizi-sī, yakayak-aya-n mabaň-a-n taiq-tlad-a adatt-as-i b-u.
this-mote-P-GEN way-N arrange-it-do, cycle-P-GEN nope-P form-do-SUBJ, be-be.SUBJ, echo-idea-GEN cascade-N-GEN difficult.river-N begin-it-do not-ADV

I don't think I've got the logic for these sentences down perfectly, but it'll do.

Next: That was a terribly painful experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, not even my worst enemies.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

valiums wrote:Next: That was a terribly painful experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, not even my worst enemies.
Ancient:

KUO-GAPALTEK-KI-IK-NILYN-Y-KU-ME-KIKYT-AŊ-ME-KOLAL-IKKYA-NELEN.
[ku.og.ap.al.tɛk ki.ik.ni.lɪ.nɪ ku.mɛ.ki.kɪt.aŋ mɛ.ko.lal ikːɪ.an.ɛl.ɛn]
ACC-GREATNOUN.([NEG.1P-PERF-COND.arrange LOC-BASICNOUN.{<world> <POS-GREATNOUN.evil>}] [3P-PERF-IND.inflict NOM-BASICNOUN.{1P-PERF-IND.experience}])
Greatly that experience inflicted, which I could not arrange upon the world or my great evils.

Next: The cats aren't going to the place where it is dictated by the transgovernmental buraeucratic conglomerate that all animals must be brought for safekeeping when the phagoplast swarms begin their ascent from hibernation in the gas clouds.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

maıráí wrote:Next: That was a terribly painful experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, not even my worst enemies.
Kala:

yekemu umuampaye ma na nya tekimpoha nayo uehatlik
/jekɛːˈmu ʊmʷaːˈᵐpaje ma na ɲa tɛkiᵐpoːˈha naːˈjo wɛɦaːˈt͡ɬik/
DIST-experience pain-very-PST and 1sg for enemy-bad-AUG 1sg.POSS wish-FUT-NEG

next: They have lived their whole lives by gathering firewood.

Yes, this is necro, but it's a great thread that needs to be revitalized.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

They have lived their whole lives by gathering firewood.
Wippwo:
Ha lleirah got om arelou šouna diḇoŋiwã lo diḇo
ha lleira-h got om arelou šouna diḇoŋ-iwã lo diḇo
by.3sg gather-VN wood of.3sg hearth AORIST gather-3plSUB.3sgOB DEF fat

They store the fat by gathering firewood

Next phrase: "His greatest mistake was not by demanding too much but expecting too little."
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo