09/15 Project

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

09/15 Project

Post by Pogostick Man »

Phonology
/p pʰ pʼ t tʰ tʼ k kʰ kʼ q qʰ qʼ/ p ph p’ t th t’ k kh k’ q qh q’
/θ s ɬ ʃ x χ ʜ h/ ¢ s ł ś g r x h
/t͜θ t͜θʰ t͜θʼ t͜s t͜sʰ t͜sʼ t͜ɬ t͜ɬʰ t͜ɬʼ t͜ʃ t͜ʃʰ t͜ʃʼ/ z zh z’ c ch c’ ƛ ƛh ƛ’ ć ćh ć’
/l~lˤ ʎ~ʟ~ɥ~j/ l l’

/a e i o u/ a e i o u
/a̰ ḛ ḭ o̰ ṵ/ ą ę į ǫ ų
/aˤ eˤ iˤ oˤ uˤ/ â ê î ô û
/ã ẽ ĩ õ ũ/ ã ẽ ĩ õ ũ

Allophony
* Before nasalized vowels, plain stops become voiced nasals, aspirated stops become voiceless nasals, and ejective stops become implosives.
* /a o u/ become [ɛ ø y] if an /i/ is in the following syllable. This holds for all types of vowels.
* /ʟ/ becomes [ʎ] before /i e/ and [ɛ] of any type.
* Before pharyngealized vowels, /l/ becomes [lˤ]. /ʟ/ becomes [ɥ] before /oˤ uˤ/ and [j] before /aˤ eˤ iˤ/.

Stress
Stress falls on the final syllable if open, or on the penult if the final syllable is closed.

Syllable Structure
Typical syllable structure is (C)V(C), though onset clusters of the form obstruent + liquid is permitted.

Lenition
In certain circumstances lenition of consonants occurs. The hierarchies are typically:

/p pʰ pʼ/ > /h/
/t tʰ tʼ/ > /t͜s t͜sʰ t͜sʼ/ or /t͜θ t͜θʰ t͜θʼ/ > /s/ > /h/
/t͜ɬ t͜ɬʰ t͜ɬʼ/ > /ɬ/ > /l/
/k kʰ kʼ/ > /t͜ʃ t͜ʃʰ t͜ʃʼ/ > /ʃ/ > /x/ > /ʟ/
/q qʰ qʼ/ > /χ/ > /ʜ/ > /h/

Numbers 1 – 10
Because Janko will enjoy it.

1 – q’ẽtô [ʛẽˈtoˤ]
2 – l’ûc [ɥuˤt͜s]
3 – phl’ąǫ [pʰʟa̰ˈo̰]
4 – rûć [χuˤtʃ]
5 – ãƛhe [ãˈt͜ɬʰe]
6 – [nõ]
7 – tõq’ẽtô [nõʛẽˈtoˤ]
8 – tõl’ûc [ˈnõɥuˤt͜s]
9 – tõphl’ąǫ [nõpʰʟa̰ˈo̰]
10 – tõrûć [ˈnõχuˤt͜ʃ]
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: 09/15 Project

Post by Pogostick Man »

All right, so here's some more stuff.

I'm thinking about changing the romanizations of /θ t͜θ t͜θʰ t͜θʼ/ to <z ¢ ¢h ¢’>, but I'm not sure about changing /ʎ~ʟ~ɥ~j/ to <£>. (If you're wondering where I got the <¢> from, it's sort of inspired by Dhegiha.)

Consonant gradation
All right, so basically there's the strong grade and the weak grade. Typically, basic endings are inherently in the strong grade. A + before a suffix (or after a prefix) indicates that the following consonant is lenited according to these rules. On the other board, DesEsseintes pointed out that I could've just lenited the dental series to the dental fricative, so let's go with that.

{p ph p’} ~ h
t th t’ ~ c ch c’ or ¢ ¢h ¢’
{¢ ¢h ¢’} ~ z
{c ch c’} ~ s
{s z} ~ h
{ƛ ƛh ƛ’} ~ ł
ł ~ l
k kh k’ ~ ć ćh ć’
{ć ćh ć’} ~ ś
ś ~ g
g ~ £
{q qh q’} ~ r
r ~ x
x ~ h

Verbs

Conjugation and mood
So this language has two sets of suffixes for grammatical person. There's essentially a declarative and a renarrative.

Declarative verb endings:

1S +ę
2S -û
3S -Ø
1P -rõ
2P -q’i
3P +Ø

Using a sample verb qãre¢ʼ ask, the 1S form would be qãrezę, and the 3P form would be qãrez.

In the renarrative, things get a bit tricky. There are eight classes of verbs, depending on how badly the stem gets mangled.

Class I verbs
Class I verbs (like qãrezʼ) are of the form -CV(C). In this case, a reduplication occurs, with the final onset being reduplicated and lenited. The reduplicated vowel is invariably pharyngealized, so qãre¢ʼ becomes qãxerê¢ʼ. Following this, the following renarrative endings are added.

1S +įćh
2S +ôr
3S -ą
1P +et
2P +o
3P -o

1S renarrative qãxerêzįćh, 3S renarrative qãxerê¢ʼą

Class II verbs
Class II verbs are of the form -V(C)VC (but not -VCCVC). Class II verbs form the renarrative by metathesizing the final -VC to -CV before adding the following endings. As an example, the verb khǫl’uk kick appears below in the renarrative.

1S -k
2S -zh
3S -r
1P -Ø
2P -s
3P -ch

1S renarrative khǫl’kuk, 1P renarrative khǫl’ku

Class III verbs
Class III verbs are of the form -VVC. These verbs drop the final V before adding the following endings. tũôc pour is an example of a Class III verb.

1S +Ø
2S +x
3S +r
1P -ƛho
2P -z
3P -th

1S renarrative tũs, 1P renarrative tũcƛho

Class IV verbs
Class IV verbs are also of the form -VVC. These verbs metathesize the final -VC to -CV and then delete the preceding vowel before adding the following endings. ƛ’įśãęg withstand is an example of a Class IV verb.

1S -Ø
2S -x
3S -r, nasalizes preceding vowel
1P -ƛho
2P -z
3P -th

1S renarrative ƛ’įśgę, 3S renarrative ƛ’įśgẽr

Class V verbs
Class V verbs are of the form -V(C)CCVC. An echo vowel of the preceding vowel with a following p’ is inserted between the final two consonants of the cluster (even if this is an onset cluster for the final syllable), yielding -V(C)CVp’CVC. In the 2P endings, the consonant immediately after the p’ is lenited. The verb ĩstǫrzaq know (how to do something) is a Class V verb. Class V defective verbs do not lenite before the 1P ending.

1S -õ
2S -śõ
3S -śõ
1P +tõ
2P -û
3P -o

2S renarrative ĩstǫrǫp’¢aqśõ, 3S renarrative ĩstǫrǫp’zaqśõ

Class VI verbs
Class VI verbs are of the form -VV. Class VI verbs drop the penultimate vowel before adding the following endings. An example Class VI verb is phl’ąǫ triple. Class VI defective verbs have a null ending for 1P (though it still affects the vowel).

1S -k (makes vowel creaky)
2S -s
3S -ph
1P -r (makes vowel creaky)
2P -l’
3P -r (makes vowel nasalized)

1S renarrative phl’ǫk, 3P renarrative phl’õr

Class VII verbs
Class VII verbs are of the form -VV. For most of the renarrative forms of Class V verbs, a consonant is infixed between the final two vowels. An example of this is xįe defend. Class VII defective verbs nasalize the final vowel.

1S -t-
2S -r-
3S -s-
1P -ł-
2P -qh-
3P (changes final vowel to pharyngeal)

1S renarrative xįte, 3P renarrative xįê

Class VIII verbs
Class VIII verbs are of the form -VVCCV. The first V becomes nasal and the VC sequence metathesizes to CV, leniting the consonant in the process before adding the following endings. The /t/ series in all Class VIII verbs lenites to the /t͜θ/ series. The verb oągć’i unwind, spool out (rope, string) is an example of a Class VIII verb. Class VIII defective verbs have a null ending for 1P.

1S -p
2S -l’
3S -l
1P -x
2P -łâ
3P -łi

1S renarrative õl’ąć’ip
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: 09/15 Project

Post by Pogostick Man »

Nouns
So there are five noun classes/genders. They all are based upon some sort of stem. The stem itself is formed from the root plus the appropriate ending. For the time being all examples are in the nominative singular.

Code: Select all

SG    PL
Nominative        -Ø    +Ø
Genitive          -plo  -hlo
Atelic accusative -c’i  -si
Telic accusative  -eƛ   +eƛ
Benefactive       -ôs   +ôs
Malefactive       -k’u  -gu
Oblique           -śl’ẽ -gl’ẽ
Class I: Animates
Animals and sentient beings go into Class I. Class I stems generally operate in one of several ways.

Class Ia: Agents
Nouns in -(C)V(C) get an infixed -a-: -a(C)V(C).

¢’aô owner (theta roles of this verb are reversed)
tual’ać person
xãraû runner
¢ûatõ tall person

Nouns in -CCV(C) get an infixed -a- which lenites the first of the consonants in the cluster: -C+aCV(C).

l’ǫratã cook, baker
pharato hunter

Class Ib: Patients
Nouns in -V get a final -s.

¢’ôs owner (see above)

Nouns in -VCV(C) reduplicate the final CV: -VCVCV(C).

ć’ûxexer follower (as opposed to seeker)

Nouns in -CCV(C) reduplicate the cluster and vowel of the final syllable, leniting the first element of the first cluster and the word-final consonant, if present: -C+CVCCV(+C).

l’ǫrtãq’ta prepared meal
phartoqhto prey

êsq’lõr
êsq’lõrlõx source of odor, scent

p’ẽgcar
p’ẽgsatcax stolen thing

Class Ic: Benefactives
Benefactive indicate the beneficiary of a stem, typically (but not always) for ditransitive verbs. Benefactives are almost always derived from verb stems.

Nouns in -V take the suffix -hV, where V is an echo vowel.

tõhõ recipient (of a gift)
śągąhą recipient (of a message or news)

Nouns in -VC lenite the final C and add an echo vowel.

p’ẽgcax thief

Class Id: Malefactives
The rarest of Class I nouns, malefactives usually carry connotations of some sort of injury. Nouns in Class Id reduplicate the final vowel and lenite the onset, if applicable. Malefactives are almost always derived from verb stems.

p’ẽgcaxa victim of theft

Class II: Bounded, grouped
Class II nouns typically refer to things in the sense of a group (not, strictly speaking, mass nouns) or to things that are either bounded or boundaries. These nouns may also be abstract. Verb nominalizations in Class II tend to place emphasis on an instance or occurrence.

A stem is moved into Class II by infixing +re- between the final two syllables: -V(C)+re-(C)(C)V(C). If no coda is present in the preceding syllable the infix immediately follows that vowel.

ǫreis duration, life(span)
turel’ać cultural group, people group, nation, populace
q’ore¢hų stain, blemish, blotch, spot
p’ẽl’recar incidence of theft

Class III: Concrete
Miscellaneous concrete nouns make up the third noun class. Class III nouns consist simply of the stem.

tul’ać corpse
k’įtę stone
to type of fruit

Class IV: Mass
Nouns in a mass or undifferentiated sense usually make up Class IV. Most Class IV nouns only apply the transformations to stems in the singular. Verbs that are nominalized into Class IV typically refer to actions in a generic sense as opposed to an instance of an action.

Stems in -V take a suffix -tĩ.

k’įtętĩ gravel
it’rotĩ grip, grasp (n.)

Stems in -VC take an infix -tĩ+: -VtĩC+.

ǫitĩh time (note the placement in Class IV as opposed to Class V)
p’ẽgcatĩr thievery

Class V: Extractions, abstractions, liquids
Class V is comprised of liquids, abstractions, and extractions or worked material. Most Class V nouns only apply transformations to stems in the singular. Verbal nouns in Class V tend to refer to abstract qualities.

Stems in -V nasalize the vowel.

thõ type of fruit juice
¢’õ possession

Stems in -CV copy the C to word-final position and lenite the initial while turning the final vowel nasal: -C+V[+nasal]C.

¢û¢õt height
q’ozų¢h color(ation)

Stems in -(V)VC metathesize the final -CV to -VC and turn the final vowel nasal.

ǫsĩ change in state
ît’õr reach, grasp

Stems in -(C)CV(C) reduplicate the onset and vowel, making the vowel nasal in the process and leniting the original onset, if present: -(C+)V[+nas](C)V(C).

k’įtẽtę powder
êsq’lõlõr smell, odor
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO