Help me to classify my conlang

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Lme
Niš
Niš

Help me to classify my conlang

Post by Lme »

I have been working on a conlang called "Moghur" already for several months but I still have some issues to classify it, it is based on a language who evolved from the already extinct languages of Khitan and Jurchen having grammatical rules and words similar as mongolian. My first classification for it would be a "Mongolic" language but after some researches with the Buryat and Daur languages (who are also Mongolic) i realized that they are far too similar to mongolian and not independent compared with the large Turkic family. It would be nice if there could be some suggestions about the name, I've been searching a name that would suit perfectly this language but "Moghur" doesn't convince me.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help me to classify my conlang

Post by Pole, the »

Maybe you could classify it as Altaic?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Either Altaic or Para-Mongolic (Mongolic plus Khitan). If Khitan is still too similar, you can call it a "Macro-Mongolic" language, which is a fictional category.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Lme
Niš
Niš

Post by Lme »

Pole, the wrote:Maybe you could classify it as Altaic?
Altaic is the whole branch in general, I am searching for something deeper.
mèþru wrote:Either Altaic or Para-Mongolic (Mongolic plus Khitan). If Khitan is still too similar, you can call it a "Macro-Mongolic" language, which is a fictional category.
I've been actually thinking about "Para-Mongolic" but "Macro-Mongolic" seems also an option.