Quadripartite morphosyntactic alignment

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Quadripartite morphosyntactic alignment

Post by baradsonoron »

I just came up with a new morphosyntactic alignment where active, stative, ergative, and accusative are all different.

Is this original?
Bárád-dur!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Quadripartite morphosyntactic alignment

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Could you give some examples of it in action?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Examples are absolutely necessary. There's an incredibly high likelyhood you've got something else or are using terms nonstandardly.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

examples or it didn't happen

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Are you referring to a system with different cases for (1) "active" intransitive arguments (Sa), (2) "stative" intransitive arguments (Sp), (3) transitive subjects (A), (4) transitive objects (P)? As far as I know this doesn't happen in any real world languages, but notionally it could happen.

(Technically calling cases (1) and (2) "active" and "stative" would be non-standard, as these cases strictly speaking should also be available with transitives, but if there was a language with such a system these labels would be as good as any other.)

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

Seven Fifty wrote:Are you referring to a system with different cases for (1) "active" intransitive arguments (Sa), (2) "stative" intransitive arguments (Sp), (3) transitive subjects (A), (4) transitive objects (P)? As far as I know this doesn't happen in any real world languages, but notionally it could happen.

(Technically calling cases (1) and (2) "active" and "stative" would be non-standard, as these cases strictly speaking should also be available with transitives, but if there was a language with such a system these labels would be as good as any other.)
Yes I am. This is exactly what I am referring to. Additionally, it is polysynthetic, so really, it's "affixes" for those. This also means that "I was given" puts "I" in a different case than "He gave me", providing an excellently elegant way of doing the passive voice.
Bárád-dur!

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Do you mean that passives use a fifth set of pronominal markers? Or is the "passive" set the same as one of the four other sets?

In either case, in terms of plausibility, I'd say this sounds quite unlikely though not totally impossible. There's only a small handful of natural languages that are even tripartite, and I don't think any natlangs have the system you've described. (If you're asking whether it's been done before in a conlang, I don't know the answer to that.)

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

No, the passive of "He gives me" (give.3sg-ERG.1sg-ACC) would be "I am given" (give.1sg-STAT). So you would use the Sp for the passive voice. If you wanted to do "I am given by him" you could add an ergative 3sg on to the verb phrase.
Bárád-dur!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

baradsonoron wrote:No, the passive of "He gives me" (give.3sg-ERG.1sg-ACC) would be "I am given" (give.1sg-STAT). So you would use the Sp for the passive voice. If you wanted to do "I am given by him" you could add an ergative 3sg on to the verb phrase.
What would be the construction for "give" with a direct and an indirect object, i.e. "he gave me a book" / "I was given a book" / "a book was given to me"? I assume you know that in most European accusative languages, it would be the direct object ("the book") that's in the accusative case and it alone can be promoted to subject by passivization, while the indirect object ("me") requires rephrasing / change of verb to be promoted to subject?

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

hwhatting wrote:
baradsonoron wrote:No, the passive of "He gives me" (give.3sg-ERG.1sg-ACC) would be "I am given" (give.1sg-STAT). So you would use the Sp for the passive voice. If you wanted to do "I am given by him" you could add an ergative 3sg on to the verb phrase.
What would be the construction for "give" with a direct and an indirect object, i.e. "he gave me a book" / "I was given a book" / "a book was given to me"? I assume you know that in most European accusative languages, it would be the direct object ("the book") that's in the accusative case and it alone can be promoted to subject by passivization, while the indirect object ("me") requires rephrasing / change of verb to be promoted to subject?
He gave me a book, I was given a book by him. No "a book was given to me".
Bárád-dur!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

baradsonoron wrote:He gave me a book, I was given a book by him. No "a book was given to me".
Well, that means your language would be quite the outlier among natlangs. As I said, you'll find passives for the direct object "a book (kiss, handshake, gift) was given" much more frequently in natlangs than passives for the indirect object "I was given". English is unusual for being able to passivize both, your language would be even more unusual for not being able to promote the direct object via passivization at all, while doing that for the indirect object.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Also I would think that a ludicrously explosive alignment system like yours would tend to come with very free pivot rules, not with restrictive ones.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

Well, this will be a weird language. Also, did I mention all the morphemes are consonant clusters and there are zero phonemic vowels (technically morpheme boundaries are articulated with a small pause, but in actuality they will be articulated with /a/).
Bárád-dur!

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Ah, so it's one of these reality-defying artlangs.

Which explains why you asked whether your system was original rather than anything else, in which case I only have to say that if that's your poster feature for alien-ness I have seen much better.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

It's not, it's just for fun. But I was curious as to whether anybody else had thought of it.

EDIT: How much better? Enlighten me.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, I messed up earlier. You cannot passivize indirect objects. However, the alignment system is different, such that the thing being given is the "secondary" object and the thing to which it is given is the "primary" object. So, in the phrase "He gave me the book", "me" is the primary (read direct) object and "the book" is the secondary (read indirect) object. This system DOES exist in natlangs.
Bárád-dur!

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

hwhatting wrote:
baradsonoron wrote:He gave me a book, I was given a book by him. No "a book was given to me".
Well, that means your language would be quite the outlier among natlangs. As I said, you'll find passives for the direct object "a book (kiss, handshake, gift) was given" much more frequently in natlangs than passives for the indirect object "I was given". English is unusual for being able to passivize both, your language would be even more unusual for not being able to promote the direct object via passivization at all, while doing that for the indirect object.
That all depends. If it's a secundative (=dechticaetiative) language (treating recipients as primary objects), the norm would be to promote the recipient (rather than the theme) to subject of a passive. For example, Algonquian languages, which are secundative, do this, e.g. Ojibwe ogii-mamawaan "s/he took (X) from him/her/them (obv)" (3-PAST-take-DIRECT-OBV) vs gii-mamawaa "s/he had (X) taken from him/her" (PAST-take-PASSV).

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

Whimemsz wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
That all depends. If it's a secundative (=dechticaetiative) language (treating recipients as primary objects), the norm would be to promote the recipient (rather than the theme) to subject of a passive. For example, Algonquian languages, which are secundative, do this, e.g. Ojibwe ogii-mamawaan "s/he took (X) from him/her/them (obv)" (3-PAST-take-DIRECT-OBV) vs gii-mamawaa "s/he had (X) taken from him/her" (PAST-take-PASSV).
It is dechticaetiative.
Bárád-dur!

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

He got you, you really believed that was a real word didn't ya B)
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

R.Rusanov wrote:He got you, you really believed that was a real word didn't ya B)
Daechtiti... whatever is a real word.
Bárád-dur!

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Rusanov isn't worth your time.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

This is getting rather off topic... why doesn't everybody keep criticizing me for wierd morphology?
Bárád-dur!

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Because you just stated that you have departed from all rules. At that point the only feedback you will get is possibly whether people like it or not.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

baradsonoron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by baradsonoron »

Sir Gwalchafad wrote:Because you just stated that you have departed from all rules. At that point the only feedback you will get is possibly whether people like it or not.
An excellent point. Out of interest, what better features have you seen for alienness? I need inspiration.
Bárád-dur!

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

The best alien langs organize information differently. This can range from the interesting case of a STACK:POP language I once saw to simply taking a look at Theta Roles and more or less universal argument structures and finding a way of dissolving them.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Allowing all verbs other than the copula to take exactly one argument. This argument can be used by any number of verbs.