[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Naturalistic conlang from a proto-language: How rigorous?

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:52 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Last edited by Pinetree on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

All right.

Okay, so he was making some kind of asshole statement on my use of "I might want to say". I assumed it was a non sequitur because I say "I might want to..." so often I quite literally don't even REMEMBER that I wrote it. I hate making direct statements especially when I was telling the guy "hey, your site isn't working". I didn't want to be blunt. It's how I write. I did not literally mean "I may or may not want to say [STATEMENT]". I just tend to add "I might want to..." as a meaningless filler that makes me statement less blunt. I thought what he said was a non sequitur because I had quite literally forgotten that I had written that and when I had re-read it my mind just skipped over the "I might want to say" part because it's that meaningless.

Of course, Drydic had to be a twit about it. I don't like being blunt, fuck.

Pinetree: I think he was referring to my statement of "might", not that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Pinetree gets it now.

Last edited by cromulant on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Last edited by Pinetree on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:58 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

No matter what anyone says this is ALL Drydic's fault for being a snarky twit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:11 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Um, can we get back to serious business, like the level of SRYSLYNSS appropriate to a given scope of a priori conlanging? I really don't give a crap about "Drydic", who -- OH YES AD HOMINEM -- does admittedly come across like living totally up to his name, dea gratia, but this is the intarwebz: the dics are a given, let's just move on by and not just turn into a bunch of jerkass Monty-Python-quoting-type-of-nerds scoring points off each other in some masturbatory chumstorm.

FWIW, and in a totally non-distractingly trollish way, I urge all young and pure conlangers to avoid meddling with PIE. It leads -- inexorably, unthinkably, squamously and rugosely -- to elves and dwarves or dwarfs and even more dull and repugnant lines of discourse. You might as well get involved in auxlanging, amiright?

Kim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Sure sign you need to stop looking at PIE - when you start trying to put random English nouns into the zero-grade when oblique.

[This isn't meant to start a terribly unfunny 'ten ways to know' chain, this is just an example from real life]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Or /eh₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁h₁.../ (Yeah, I know)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am 
Smeric
Smeric

OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:33 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Can't we drop the matter with Drydic (all of which started with a remark on a failing web site) and get back to the TOPIC?

What we have found out so far seems to be:

1. The better the natlang you use as a starting point for an a posteriori diachronic conlang is known, the more rigour is necessary in your conlang in order to avoid problems being pointed out by those who know that natlang well.

2. Some natlangs, such as PIE and Latin, have been used so often that it is not easy to do something that is both original (i.e., different from both the existing natlangs and the conlangs done before in a significant way) and plausible.

What I can add to this is the following:

3. Whenever doing an a posteriori diachronic conlang, you should know the starting language as well as you can. Otherwise, you will make mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:33 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

I'm really not sure PIE's been done to death. Lots of people dabble, sure, but how many really fleshed-out IElangs are there? And given the variety between the extant daughters, it seems strange to think there's not scope for something new.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

No, it hasn't been done to death. But the scale needed to do it well is quite intimidating to those who realize it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next