Number systems, scripts for numerics, and hand counting

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
xybre
Niš
Niš

Number systems, scripts for numerics, and hand counting

Post by xybre »

Since I was a kid and I came across the Babylonian 12/60 base number system I've always been
into the idea. We still use a their number system today for time and geometry.

One of the things that I found amusing/odd was that even though they had a complex positional
numeric system their individual "numerals" were still little more than just tally marks which was
quite oddly base ten.

Here's what it looked like:

For at least one of my conlang/concultures I'd like to have a similar system and I wanted to create
my own version of it.

On top of that there were two other questions I'd like to have some sort of answer for:
  1. What if a similar system had stayed popular and developed over time much the way the
    Western Hindu-Arabic numerals I grew up familiar with?
  2. What might hand-counting look like for cultures that use this system?
I actually started with the second question, just idly exploring the concept and I
remembered the binary counting system.

Demonstrated here:

I found that was a good start, 31 was an odd number though so I thought about how
to make that make sense in relation to what I know of other hand counting systems.
I reasoned that starting with the index finger made sense and would bring the count
down to an even 30, totally 60 between both hands.

To explain further here is how you count on your fingers in this numeric system I'm working on:
  1. Single index finger
  2. Index finger and thumb
  3. Middle finder alone (we'll assume there's no cultural stigma attached to this gesture, at least not in the counting position)
  4. Middle finger and thumb
  5. Middle and index finger
And so on. Essentially its the binary system offset by one, this has the added benefit that
for 1 its just the index finger as you would do finger counting in the American style and
being a single finder, 2 being the index and thumb gives the same 2 gesture used in most
of Europe being two fingers, and 3 is the third finger alone. I feel these attributes make
it a bit more mnemonic and intuitive, if less consistent than the original binary system.
In my studies of numeric systems I've noticed that the first 3 numerals tend to be the most
recognizable across cultures so I apply a similar metric to these numbers.

Satisfied that I could count on my fingers up to 60 I suddenly had this suspicion that
something about the hand-counting mechanism seemed like it could provide a useful
metaphor for the numeral script.

Again I started with rally marks. Now neither I nor my conculture uses clay tablet styluses,
so we don't get the cool little pointy triangle shape, instead I started with basic tally lines
grouping them by twos - since every other number I had to put down a finger in the
counting system I figured I'd just conceptually cross it off, like this:

The up/down motion of the lateral beam came naturally as I tried to avoid munging up the
lines so they could be clearly read. An advantage of this system is that it allows you to
count by twos and fours, and 12/60 are multiples of two and four, so that's nice.
It's essentially a base 2/4 system this way, which isn't radically different than the
base 5 tally system I was taught to use as a kid.

I thought I'd take it a step further and instead of crossing every other number,
I'd cross on groups of three, like so:

This was nicer because it is easier to group larger numbers together each "character"
was either 1, 3, or 6 by nature. So we're getting closer to something usable.

Still, perhaps its because I'm mildly dyslexic, I find the readability of such characters
pretty low, so I wanted to distinguish the groups further without adding much to the
overall amount of effort and leaving it as a tally system. I thought the low/high beams
were something interesting and I wanted to enhance them a bit, make them visually
distinct and easier to identify, here's what I came up with:

The tallies work the same as before, the flourishes are just a little more elaborate to
aid visual distinction and now we can actually count by 12s! The first character is 3,
the second 6, the third 9, and the last 12.

Now I want to have standalone representations of the numbers in order to have
individual numerals for each number we need to represent. In this endeavor I
took the above symbols and simply added ticks to them to give the final number,
but grouped together inspired somewhat by Chinese characters. Here is the result:

The above image is too wide and is cropped by the forum, here's the full view if you want to see it all.

The next phase is to bring the numbers into a full fledged positional system and
grow beyond the glorified tally mark phase. However, if we are to convert this
into a true positional system, we won't really be needing the symbol for 12 so it'll
become archaic and only used for tallies. It's little more than clearly a doubled 6
anyway, so its not a huge loss.

Now we need to do some serious simplification in the same way that early letters
underwent transformation from their logographic representations into more
abstract letters. The first thing I thought to do was drop as much of the
repetitive information as possible and bring out the features of each glyph
that make them easier to disambiguate. Here's my first pass "early numeral" system:

Again too wide, here's the rest.

You can see the 3 and 4 as well as the 6 and 9 aren't terribly different. You can see
they're positionally all over the place as they're in the same locations as the
distinguishing characteristic, I'd assume this would quickly even out.
Pondering this format for a while I tried at a more mature version as seen here:

Full view here.

I'm still not thrilled with the character for 6, but overall the system is beginning to
remind me a bit of Hieratic script or maybe something else I can't put my finger on
just now, if you can think of it, let me know.

Overall I like the direction things are going with it, I might try to do without the
tall characters and fix the weirdness of the 6 and 10 glyphs but I think this is a
fairly solid basis with which to work with.
In many cultures the numeral system is distinct from the language both in form
and appearance. Even though this might look a bit like letters, be assured that
the writing systems for the associated languages and cultures would be distinctive.

Some questions for the reader:
  • Any thoughts or impressions on the approach I've taken here?
  • Are my images too large, should I spend the extra time to scale them down before posting?
  • Say you started from the 3rd stage of "grouped tallies"
    would you take a different approach than I to progress the numeral system after that?
  • What do you think of the practicality of the tally system?
  • How do the aesthetics strike you?
    (people's opinion vary a lot in this regard, I understand, but it is a sin to lack any sort of aesthetic at all)
  • Other ideas or comments? General observations?
  • Edit: Also, let me know if this is the incorrect place or format, I've been reading the forums but not posting much and haven't quite nailed down the local conventions.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Number systems, scripts for numerics, and hand counting

Post by CatDoom »

I think you're process here is really interesting! Just had a quick comment on the final product.

The characters looks nice to me, but I think that you might want to do a little simplification of the characters for 5 and 6. Using a pen, you can write any of the standard western Hindu-Arabic numerals from 1-9 fairly easily in a single motion, without lifting the pen. Assuming that's not just happenstance, it might make sense for the "5" character to morph over time into something more similar to a "w" or lower-case omega. As for 6, I can't help but imagining that people writing it quickly would wind up losing either the fat part at the bottom or the right-hand "hook," or else run them together into a single curve. I could easily see it turning into something that looks a bit like a backward "u" or even a "v".

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

CatDoom wrote:Using a pen, you can write any of the standard western Hindu-Arabic numerals from 1-9 fairly easily in a single motion, without lifting the pen.
I write 4 in two strokes.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

KathAveara wrote:
CatDoom wrote:Using a pen, you can write any of the standard western Hindu-Arabic numerals from 1-9 fairly easily in a single motion, without lifting the pen.
I write 4 in two strokes.
Me too, and I also write my 0 and 7 with a slash through it, and my 1 with a base... and I know some people who write their 8's in two strokes.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Good point. I use two-stroke, open-topped 4's as well, and I've actually developed the odd habit of adding a second stroke to my 5's, extending and straightening the top part to help differentiate it from "s." I used to add a base and a serif to my 1's, but I've tried to stop doing that because they were starting to look like 2's :P

It is interesting that there seem to be multiple acceptable forms for some of the numbers; I wonder how long that's been the case.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

CatDoom wrote:Good point. I use two-stroke, open-topped 4's as well, and I've actually developed the odd habit of adding a second stroke to my 5's, extending and straightening the top part to help differentiate it from "s." I used to add a base and a serif to my 1's, but I've tried to stop doing that because they were starting to look like 2's :P

It is interesting that there seem to be multiple acceptable forms for some of the numbers; I wonder how long that's been the case.
Isn't it fun to watch alphabets develop? The 1 and 7 things are mainly in Europe, but I adopted them (as well as the stroke through the Z) for much the same reason. I also write my <a>'s like the ones in this font to differentiate them from <o> or <oi>.

michaelbusch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by michaelbusch »

Since you're basing things on binary counting on one hand, an observation:

The 0-to-31-on-one-hand technique can be treated as the basis for a base-32 number system. i.e. I could count 0 to 31 on my right hand, then express 32 as 1-on-left and 0-on-right. This lets you express positive integers up to 1023 using only two hands. It's equivalent to binary with 10 bits. I don't know of any widely-used real-life number system that does this, although chisanbop ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisanbop ) is perhaps somewhat similar.

You could in theory have a base-243 system - actually done as having 5 digits on a hand with 3 states per digit. But that isn't used because it is very hard to move all of the joints on human fingers independently (especially for the middle and ring fingers).

Addendum: shrinking your images or putting the characters in multiple lines would be helpful.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

michaelbusch wrote:You could in theory have a base-243 system - actually done as having 5 digits on a hand with 3 states per digit. But that isn't used because it is very hard to move all of the joints on human fingers independently (especially for the middle and ring fingers).
For that matter, I find it difficult to hold up my ring finger (joints aside) without holding up my fifth. Is this uncommon?

michaelbusch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by michaelbusch »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
michaelbusch wrote:You could in theory have a base-243 system - actually done as having 5 digits on a hand with 3 states per digit. But that isn't used because it is very hard to move all of the joints on human fingers independently (especially for the middle and ring fingers).
For that matter, I find it difficult to hold up my ring finger (joints aside) without holding up my fifth. Is this uncommon?
I have trouble with that too, and so do most humans - it has to do with the structure of the extensor muscles that move the fingers. Some people can articulate those fingers entirely independently, but it's something like a few percent of the population if I remember correctly. So in practice, binary hand counting positions that involve the ring finger usually have the other fingers at least partially extended and the distinction is bent-versus-unbent rather than folded-versus-extended. And so the 3-state-per-digit folded-bent-extended counting system doesn't work well.

xybre
Niš
Niš

Post by xybre »

michaelbusch wrote:Since you're basing things on binary counting on one hand, an observation:

The 0-to-31-on-one-hand technique can be treated as the basis for a base-32 number system. i.e. I could count 0 to 31 on my right hand, then express 32 as 1-on-left and 0-on-right. This lets you express positive integers up to 1023 using only two hands. It's equivalent to binary with 10 bits. I don't know of any widely-used real-life number system that does this, although chisanbop ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisanbop ) is perhaps somewhat similar.

You could in theory have a base-243 system - actually done as having 5 digits on a hand with 3 states per digit. But that isn't used because it is very hard to move all of the joints on human fingers independently (especially for the middle and ring fingers).

Addendum: shrinking your images or putting the characters in multiple lines would be helpful.
Absolutely, I'm aware of the possibilities. I started with the Babylonian number system though, which has always fascinated me. The idea was to figure out how to develop that number system into something with more of the modern conveniences. One of the problems of a higher base numeric system like 60 or even 32 is that you end up needing that many characters to express it in written math. The Babylonians didn't have a good solution for it, but what they had was workable. My compromise was to gather numbers at base 12 to greatly reduce the character set while still being concise and simplify written equations in a 12/60 base. For another experiment another time a base 2/32 system is entirely possible. And of course you're free to take the idea and play with it too if you like. :)

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Old Albic uses base 12. The Elves use a finger counting system in which the numbers are indicated by touching one of the 3*4=12 finger segments with the thumb.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Wasn't that half of how the Babylonians counted on their fingers?

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Does anyone have an example of a counting system that is not based on one's fingers? (especially one of a non-standard base)

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

I vaguely remember reading something that mentioned aliens with a base negative three number system. I have no idea how that would work.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

michaelbusch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by michaelbusch »

Matrix wrote:I vaguely remember reading something that mentioned aliens with a base negative three number system. I have no idea how that would work.
Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_base . First devised by humans in the late 19th century.
ObsequiousNewt wrote:Does anyone have an example of a counting system that is not based on one's fingers? (especially one of a non-standard base)
Are you including all of the base-20 variants that use fingers and toes as being "based on one's fingers"?

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Does anyone have an example of a counting system that is not based on one's fingers? (especially one of a non-standard base)
Do you mean a system where fingers haven't provided the motivation for the use of any base? Extended body-part systems might be somewhat close to this. They certainly always (AFAIK) include fingers but have no numeral base that would be based around these. Fingers just provide one part of the book keeping ladder.
Matrix wrote:I vaguely remember reading something that mentioned aliens with a base negative three number system. I have no idea how that would work.
Negative bases are a mess and unusable for any everyday use. As a simple example the base 10 number 710 would be represented in base -3 as

7 = 9 - 3 + 1 = (-3)² + (-3)¹ + (-3)⁰ = 111-3

whereas in base 3 it would be simply

7 = 6 + 1 = 2*3¹ + 3⁰ = 213

It's also pretty much impossible to keep track of the sign in any practical manner.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

gach wrote:It's also pretty much impossible to keep track of the sign in any practical manner.
Wrong. Numbers with an even number of digits in a negative base are all negative.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

gach wrote:
Do you mean a system where fingers haven't provided the motivation for the use of any base? Extended body-part systems might be somewhat close to this. They certainly always (AFAIK) include fingers but have no numeral base that would be based around these. Fingers just provide one part of the book keeping ladder.
I mean that's not based even partly on fingers. Any base that is not a multiple of 5 would be nice.

michaelbusch
Sanci
Sanci

Post by michaelbusch »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:I mean that's not based even partly on fingers. Any base that is not a multiple of 5 would be nice.
Binary, then. Unless you're going to count people counting binary on their fingers as binary being "based partly on fingers". The fingers are arbitrary, after all. Taking some historical examples: the I Ching uses a binary system developed from yin-yang dualism; San drum-code was based around two tones; and Pingala developed binary to enumerate Sanskrit prosody.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

OK, let's give "pretty much impossible in any practical manner" the reading "highly inefficient in any practical use and not very intuitive at all when tracking down errors in your calculations". Interweaving the positive and negative sides of the real number line between each other doesn't strike me as something a sane person would do to make their life easier.

Now, as a disclaimer before anyone starts to point out my lack of perspective, I have to say that I'm a physicist and as such I often tend to look at mathematics through the glasses of "that's fine, but what does it do for me".
ObsequiousNewt wrote:I mean that's not based even partly on fingers. Any base that is not a multiple of 5 would be nice.
I think fingers are the most obvious way to count at least small numbers so you can expect to find people using them for the purpose. You can definitely count easily in base 12 using fingers, as pointed out above by WeepingElf, and base 8 would be no harder.

A language with an interesting selection of partial bases is Skou, which can be understood as a combination of bases 5, 8 ans 12 and only going up to 24. I wrote a short description of it a while back over at the CBB. The evidence points though that the system originates from a base 4 number system which is again easily realised using fingers.

A good contender for what you are looking for is Suki which is reported to have a restricted binary system going only up to four.

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

xybre wrote:Any thoughts or impressions on the approach I've taken here?
I don't have that much experience as to how closely it mimics real-world numeral systems, but I took a similar approach for the Deevie numeral system and I definitely like the development and the results. The details of your process are interesting, well thought out, and make, I think, for a more compelling result.
xybre wrote:Are my images too large, should I spend the extra time to scale them down before posting?
As michaelbusch suggested, you could break up the text onto multiple lines, because the images are definitely too large for the board. On the other hand, it's not really that much effort to click and view the external link, but if you rely on that then you might as well not inline the images at all. Maybe a smaller thumbnail inline and a link to the full image, if it's not too much work.
xybre wrote:Say you started from the 3rd stage of "grouped tallies" would you take a different approach than I to progress the numeral system after that?
Well I think the beauty of numeral systems, and of writing systems in general, is that there are always multiple ways to diverge from any given point. The ticks you've used are one natural way of doing it.
xybre wrote:What do you think of the practicality of the tally system?
I tried using it out a bit and it seemed to work well, particularly with the submultiples.
xybre wrote:How do the aesthetics strike you?
I like it so far, but I'd have to see more examples of how each digit fits together to get a better feel for it.
xybre wrote:Other ideas or comments?
Looking forward to seeing more! What numeral are you going to use for zero, and how will it be derived?

xybre
Niš
Niš

Post by xybre »

Sevly wrote:
xybre wrote:Any thoughts or impressions on the approach I've taken here?
I don't have that much experience as to how closely it mimics real-world numeral systems, but I took a similar approach for the Deevie numeral system and I definitely like the development and the results. The details of your process are interesting, well thought out, and make, I think, for a more compelling result.
I tracked down your post on the board, very cool, I like it. And the process is indeed very similar. Your handwriting is great too, are you using a drawing tablet?
Sevly wrote:
xybre wrote:Are my images too large, should I spend the extra time to scale them down before posting?
As michaelbusch suggested, you could break up the text onto multiple lines, because the images are definitely too large for the board. On the other hand, it's not really that much effort to click and view the external link, but if you rely on that then you might as well not inline the images at all. Maybe a smaller thumbnail inline and a link to the full image, if it's not too much work.
I'll keep that in mind next time. I didn't expect the images to be so huge when I created them, but I wasn't sure that it was worth resizing them all. In the end, they would be much crisper scaled down to a more normal size.
Sevly wrote:
xybre wrote:What do you think of the practicality of the tally system?
I tried using it out a bit and it seemed to work well, particularly with the submultiples.
Thanks for trying it out, I found it to be pretty useful as well. I also like the Deevie tally system, even though its the same number of strokes, its more concise overall.
Sevly wrote:
xybre wrote:Other ideas or comments?
Looking forward to seeing more! What numeral are you going to use for zero, and how will it be derived?
Yeah that was pointed out to me too, and I have experimented with some things, but I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of drawing inspiration from the Chinese ideograms and forming it from a more complex symbol, but it might also just end up being a horizontal spacer.
KathAveara wrote:Wasn't that half of how the Babylonians counted on their fingers?
No idea, if you have any literature or references to such information I'd love to take a look.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

xybre wrote:
KathAveara wrote:Wasn't that half of how the Babylonians counted on their fingers?
No idea, if you have any literature or references to such information I'd love to take a look.
Oh, I remember that from a program on the history of mathematics that I watched.