Messed Up Mythology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Yaali Annar
Lebom
Lebom

Messed Up Mythology

Post by Yaali Annar »

You know how in actual mythology, there are gems like:
Uranus or Father Sky was the son and husband of Gaia, Mother Earth
Or...
Horus thwarts Set by catching Set's semen in his hands. Isis retaliates by putting Horus' semen on lettuces that Set eats.
Or...
Loki himself gave birth to the horse Sleipnir by the stallion Svaðilfari, and that Loki (referred to as the "brother of Býleistr") thirdly gave birth to "the worst of all marvels".
Anyone have messed up mythology as well? Or maybe you can frame an act that is largely acceptable to us, as a pretty WTF-inducing in your setting.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Messed Up Mythology

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Yaali Annar wrote:
Uranus or Father Sky was the son and husband of Gaia, Mother Earth
There was an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine...

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I have always wondered why so many mythologies had such weird elements like that. What the hell were people thinking when they came up with Loki giving birth to Sleipnir?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

More than you ever have.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Aurora Rossa wrote:I have always wondered why so many mythologies had such weird elements like that. What the hell were people thinking when they came up with Loki giving birth to Sleipnir?
Gods, generally speaking, aren't confined to one gender or race.

Yaali Annar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yaali Annar »

This is mine. It's a creation myth of beastmen and humans in one of my world.
In the beginning of time Earth Mother and Sky Father had a child named Air.

Sky Father attempted to have another child, but he didn't know that it took time for earth mother to heal. This attempted procreation made Earth Mother bled and created the sea we as know today. Air was angry that Sky Father wounded its mother.

Air ripped its father's virility and spat it onto the Earth. Sky's orbs turned into the Moon and the Sun while his seed impregnated Earth with animals. Air also drove father sky away so that he hovered far away from the earth.

---

Air made a human and a beast named Imi and Umu. After a while it saw that neither of them are bearing a child even after several attempts. Earth Mother told him that it would not work because both of them are men. Air tried to make a woman to rectify this and named her Ama. However... the woman it created had the body of a man and thus cannot bear a child. Air tried once again and he successfully created a neuter human that it named Eme.

For this reason humans have three sexes and need the cooperation of all three of them to create an offspring.

Making two more humans after Imi is beyond Air's limit. In breathing its essence into Eme, Air exhausted itself and lost the ability to think. Thus, Air couldn't make a female beast for Umu.

Imi, Eme and Ama had many children and their children in turn had many children. This made Umu feel lonely and jealous.

In order to have Imi back with him, Umu ripped Imi's virility and swallowed it so that Ama would not want him anymore. Imi however, did not despair and took an animal's virility and stitched it onto his body. Eme did not notice anything wrong until she bore another twins. What came out of her womb was half-man half-animal due to Imi's new virility. Ama, shocked at this revelation, hid the new twins from Imi. She delivered them to their uncle, Umu.

The twins are named Angku and Engki. They grew up to be a handsome beastmen and the consort of Umu. Angku and Engki satiated Umu so that he's no longer jealous of Imi.

---

The next time Eme had another children was her last time since she died in childbirth. Her last children came up half women half beast. Ama named the next twins Hakau and Satau. Like their brothers, she delivered them to Umu.

Under the care of Umu, the sisters fell in love with Angku and Engki. However, Umu does not want to share Angku and Engki with the sisters. One day Hakau and Satau conspired one day to cut away Umu's virility so he could no longer lay with Angku and Engki.

They succeeded in drugging Umu and cut his virility. However they had a fight on who gets to use Umu's virility on Angku and Engki and they inadvertently killed each other in the feud. Griefed with the death of his niece Umu ate both Hakau and Satau, for it is the way the beasts honoured their family.

The next time he lied with Angku and Engki, Umu became pregnant. Umu was overjoyed because now he can have a family like the humans. Umu had many children from Angku and Engki and his children had many children.
Last edited by Yaali Annar on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic wrote:More than you ever have.
That hardly seems necessary.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Aurora Rossa wrote:
That hardly seems necessary.
Descartes wrote:I think, therefore I am.
You wrote:What does the Left think of this?
Independent thought, do it.
Image Image

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Yeah, Yaali has the Loki thing messed up. Loki had transformed into a mare at the time Sleipnir was conceived and born, so he was in fact a she.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Yaali Annar wrote:handsome beastmen
There should be a Tumblr called this. I would follow.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Yaali Annar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yaali Annar »

The closest tumblr I think of right now (Some pictures may be not mom-safe):

http://monsteroll.tumblr.com/archive

Tlatoani
Niš
Niš

Post by Tlatoani »

Haha, yeah. Leftists can be pretty dumb sometimes

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

This thread reminded me of this song for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Galactose wrote:
That wasn't a joke about leftists, it was a barb hurled at Eddy (Aurora.)
Image Image

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Drydic wrote:
Galactose wrote:
Or we could, you know, be nice. Just a thought.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

pahahahaha
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Drydic wrote:
Galactose wrote:
Or we could, you know, be nice. Just a thought.
Tried and failed.
Image Image

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

PM anyone who has been here for more than three years to find out why this is so as there is a lot of back story, and let's get this thread back on track.

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

From my current, flat conworld (relevant: it is an open space between two layers of "stone", i.e. there's a ceiling, and you can touch it):
...the Yellow looked over his latest work and declared it complete. The Red looked over his work and deemed it entertaining but ultimately insufficient, incorrect, and wrong. She did not tell the Yellow, but merely smiled.
The Yellow godman, full of himself, took the Red godwoman to his bed, and there were started the first humans.
These first humans grew and grew endlessly in paradise, where all is wide and open and empty. They grew until they were also like gods, and then they also looked over the Yellow's work. So impressed were they that they entered it. It was there that they first spied the sky and the sea and the land, the plants, and the animals. They learned from the sky and the sea and the land, the plants, and especially the animals, and here were started the second humans, who never grew to quite the same size.
The Yellow saw this happen, in his work, and he quickly closed the book in disgust, never to open it again.

If you look up, even now you can see the top of the world and the height of our shame. One prays the Red could start a fire more quickly.

This is basically the happiest religion ever. Ask the god who does literally nothing, it'll tell you. Or not.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

People you're all looking at the wrong place; Japanese myths are the way to go. Susanoo craps in temples and throws flayed horses at other gods, Izanagi pisses and makes a handful kami and a river, Ukemochi makes a feast by shitting and vomiting in plates, then you have the Akaname that licks crap out of toilets, then there are those septillion kami that came out of Izanami's rotting body parts.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Suddenly Japan makes a lot more sense.
Image Image

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

Drydic wrote:Suddenly Japan makes a lot more sense.
Would you feel better if I pointed out that ancient Greek actors often wore giant bright-coloured strap-ons on stage? Basically 4chan levels of penis jokes.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Rhetorica wrote:
Would you feel better if I pointed out that ancient Greek actors often wore giant bright-coloured strap-ons on stage? Basically 4chan levels of penis jokes.
That would certainly make Lysistrata more interesting.
Image Image

Yaali Annar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yaali Annar »

Welp, google now has a recording of me looking for "Excrement in Mythology"

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

Drydic wrote:
Rhetorica wrote:
That would certainly make Lysistrata more interesting.
A significant portion of the jokes in Lysistrata are based on the fact that the people on stage are wearing giant honking phalloi the whole time. The scene with Cinesias and Myrrhine is about a hundred times funnier when the dude has a massive stiffie.
Lysistrata wrote: Cinesias: By Zeus, forget the sheet! I want to screw!
Myrrhine: Don't worry, you'll get screwed. I'll be right back. (She exits)
Cinesias:: She's going to decorate until I die. (Myrrhine reenters with a sheet)
Myrrhine: Up just a little. (She spreads the sheet underneath him)
Cinesias: I'm already up. (Indicating penis)
The joke works much, much better with the fake penis. I've seen it performed both ways, and, in the penis one, a lot of the jokes made more sense.
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion