CCC game - now Magic and genre discussion

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

CCC game - now Magic and genre discussion

Post by zompist »

Keeping this separate as it should be a one-off discussion.

What do you think about the following?

1. Should the vote be among the participants only, or anyone who wants to vote? The latter has the advantage that I can use the board's polling mechanism. (Or to be fancy, maybe participants get 2 votes, bystanders 1?)

2. Do you think people should be able to vote for their own work?

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Re: CCC game - Voting rules discussion

Post by KathTheDragon »

No to both.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Yes, voting for anybody who looks upon the thread.
No, no self voting.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

How about... only NON participants get to vote? that'd give it an even more reality TV deal.

At any rate, voting for oneself's work is kind of pointless, is it not ?

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

1: Open to everyone
2: No

On a side note, if only non-participants can vote, then it's impossible to vote for your own work, so the result of the second question doesn't even matter in that case.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Keeping the voting open to everyone seems the most straightforward way to go, and ZBB doesn't seem to be swarming with trolls, so it should be fine. People probably shouldn't be allowed to vote for their own work, just in case we don't get a lot of non-participant voters.

alassion
Sanci
Sanci

Post by alassion »

I vote for

1. Allow anyone to vote.
2. No self-voting.

I'm also in favor of counting participants' votes twice. Is that easy to do with the polling feature?
Thanks for reading.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

I think anyone should be allowed to vote but participants shan't be allowed to vote for themselves.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Another vote for:

1. Anyone should be allowed to vote.
2. People shouldn't be allowed to vote for their own work.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I vote that only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on whether only participants get to vote on...

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

1. Yes.
2. No, but I'm willing to permit use of the honour system if Mark is setting up that sort of poll.

If the winning continent will be the largest, will the sizes of the others be proportional to the number of votes they get? If we do that, it might also be interesting, although not necessary, to permit votes for multiple continents to get the fullest picture of which ones people like.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Civil War Bugle wrote:If we do that, it might also be interesting, although not necessary, to permit votes for multiple continents to get the fullest picture of which ones people like.
That's an excellent idea. I second that motion :)

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

1. Voting should be open to everyone.
2. Self voting should not be allowed.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Does anyone else agree that its probably just better if we were to skip the sapient thing and just go for humans? I mean, alien languages are incredibly complicated, and I'm not seeing a lot of interest on coming up with radically different sapients... Maybe we could keep to an exercise in physical anthropology? like, subspecies of humans like denisovans and neanderthals and so on and so forth <yeah, I know, there's contention as to whether neanderthals were a different species or not, since we seem to have some neanderthal DNA and there appears to have been cross-breeding but maybe there wasn't>. It seems interesting, however, to come up with behaviorally different sapients, like... I don't know, ones where females are physically stronger and more aggressive -which radically changes the whole gender roles thing- or giant-ass hominids measuring three metres talll. I don't know, what are your thoughts?

Also, I'm assuming we're gonna go with terran biota, right? you know, dogs and wheat and yeast and so on?
-- continent creation (continents)
-- sapient creation (species)
-- first civilizations (cultures)
-- first empires (language)
-- mature empire (language)
-- dark ages (religions)
-- renaissance (language)
-- industry (type of technology)
-- contemporary (language)
-- the glorious future (...)
I'd like to comment on this here table of objects: languages languages languages. Its not like there evolved a few first civilizations on earth and then those are the cultures we're stuck with. Maybe iterating the whole 'cultures' round would result in a more textured, richer history [as opposed to a sort 'culture-nation-as-agent deal?]

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

VOTES FOR EVERYONE OVER 18! THIS IS MURICA!!!!11

Wait, that excludes me...

Only white property-owning males should be allowed to vote!

(In all seriousness, I agree with Lyra and everyone else.)

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Torco wrote:Does anyone else agree that its probably just better if we were to skip the sapient thing and just go for humans? I mean, alien languages are incredibly complicated, and I'm not seeing a lot of interest on coming up with radically different sapients... Maybe we could keep to an exercise in physical anthropology? like, subspecies of humans like denisovans and neanderthals and so on and so forth <yeah, I know, there's contention as to whether neanderthals were a different species or not, since we seem to have some neanderthal DNA and there appears to have been cross-breeding but maybe there wasn't>. It seems interesting, however, to come up with behaviorally different sapients, like... I don't know, ones where females are physically stronger and more aggressive -which radically changes the whole gender roles thing- or giant-ass hominids measuring three metres talll. I don't know, what are your thoughts?
I'm not sure.
I'd really like to submit a truly alien (well, maybe not truly alien. Let's say, reasonably alien) sapient species; on the other hand I know that it's going to be a great deal harder coming up with languages and cultures later on; on the third tentacle, well, it'd be fun to design alien languages and cultures.
Maybe the solution would be what Mark did for Almea: aliens are relatively peripheral cultures with 'humans' taking center stage?

Come to think of it, it's really the voting rules that could be a problem. We'll vote on the best alien species; the trouble is, the best alien species is likely to be truly alien, and so hard to design languages for later on.
Another suggestion: we could make an exception for this stage, and allow people to vote for two species: 1) the best-designed one 2) the one they'd like to work on later in the game?
I'd like to comment on this here table of objects: languages languages languages. Its not like there evolved a few first civilizations on earth and then those are the cultures we're stuck with. Maybe iterating the whole 'cultures' round would result in a more textured, richer history [as opposed to a sort 'culture-nation-as-agent deal?]
Yep. Why not do language and culture rounds at each stage?

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Also, Zompist, could you please put the deadline in the OP? Preferably in the title?

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Torco wrote:Does anyone else agree that its probably just better if we were to skip the sapient thing and just go for humans? I mean, alien languages are incredibly complicated, and I'm not seeing a lot of interest on coming up with radically different sapients... Maybe we could keep to an exercise in physical anthropology? like, subspecies of humans like denisovans and neanderthals and so on and so forth <yeah, I know, there's contention as to whether neanderthals were a different species or not, since we seem to have some neanderthal DNA and there appears to have been cross-breeding but maybe there wasn't>. It seems interesting, however, to come up with behaviorally different sapients, like... I don't know, ones where females are physically stronger and more aggressive -which radically changes the whole gender roles thing- or giant-ass hominids measuring three metres talll. I don't know, what are your thoughts?

Yes, agreed, again. I want to be constructing regular languages, not having to bash my brain on developing and then evolving an alien culture. I would seriously doubt continuing on with the game if I would have to do that.

Homo like creatures though, would work. I mean, elves and dwarves and those little aboriginals in Middle Earth (damn were those interesting!), are just a few examples. Now, I suppose that would mean blue cats would work too, or any anthro like thing.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There seems to be consensus on the voting, yay.

On species, we could certainly go with the Almea-style solution of all sapients belonging to a single family. If someone really wanted to create dragons or insectoids or hyperintelligent shades of the color blue, speak up!

On languages— maybe 2 instead of 3. Stage 3 will be anthropological descriptions.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

zompist wrote:There seems to be consensus on the voting, yay.

On species, we could certainly go with the Almea-style solution of all sapients belonging to a single family. If someone really wanted to create dragons or insectoids or hyperintelligent shades of the color blue, speak up!

On languages— maybe 2 instead of 3. Stage 3 will be anthropological descriptions.
I could create a race of skeletal-like humanoids... I already have a drawing...

I don't get what you mean in the last part...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Maybe the solution would be what Mark did for Almea: aliens are relatively peripheral cultures with 'humans' taking center stage?
you racist :P
hyperintelligent shades of the color blue

azhoh

Also, we should agree on general metaphysical and genre conventions: do we want magic and fireballs? are we after relative realism, or do we prefer to have wizards who can only do magic if they have their wands in their hands or the plot requires it

last part means something like "we'll have one more round of culture, one less of languages", way I parse it.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Lyra wrote:Yes, agreed, again. I want to be constructing regular languages, not having to bash my brain on developing and then evolving an alien culture. I would seriously doubt continuing on with the game if I would have to do that.
While I certainly wouldn't describe myself as an environmental determinist, it strikes me that even an earthlike world populated by humanlike beings would probably develop cultures that seem crazy-go-nuts alien to anyone on earth. No place on earth is truly isolated in the grand scheme of history, and those places that come close tend to develop cultural and linguistic traits that seem pretty strange compared to those in nearby, less-isolated areas; on another world, however, these traits could be the norm from which others deviate.

I don't see why we should restrict ourselves so narrowly with regard to biology when we're going to be designing everything else from the ground up. If I'm going to replace proto-Indo-European with pseudo-Taa, I should be able to put it in the mouths of octopus-birds with lemur tails for tentacles. Not that I would ever inflict either of those things on anyone.

Note: this post may have a little to do with the fact that I'm already working on an evolutionary history for gnoll-like hyena people.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

zompist wrote:On species, we could certainly go with the Almea-style solution of all sapients belonging to a single family. If someone really wanted to create dragons or insectoids or hyperintelligent shades of the color blue, speak up!
I have an idea for a reptile/amphibian race.
It was about time I changed this.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

CatDoom wrote:
I don't see why we should restrict ourselves so narrowly with regard to biology when we're going to be designing everything else from the ground up. If I'm going to replace proto-Indo-European with pseudo-Taa, I should be able to put it in the mouths of octopus-birds with lemur tails for tentacles. Not that I would ever inflict either of those things on anyone.
Sure, but a human-like vocal tracts would still help!
zompist wrote: If someone really wanted to create dragons or insectoids or hyperintelligent shades of the color blue, speak up!
I had a few ideas for a non-humanoid species — but I really don't mind working on a more humanlike species if that's the consensus.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I have an idea or two for a marine mammal-esque sapient. Still got a number of sketches of evolutionary pathways I never followed up.