Ancanaln Scratchpad - NP: The Story

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
SilentMember
Sanci
Sanci

Ancanaln Scratchpad - NP: The Story

Post by SilentMember »

Let me start by saying that this idea was inspired by this thread and also by the series, Ancient Aliens. Also, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with what exactly a "scratchpad" is. I assume that it is simply a forum post where you share your work-in-progress material; please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Story

During the age of the Roman Republic, an entire city's worth of people simply vanished from the face of the earth. These people did not die, were not harmed, nor did they run away in a mass exodus. Instead, they were taken away by a group of extra-terrestrial beings. These beings, known as the Legnae, were performing an experiment in planet population evolution. The experiment was conducted to understand how cultures evolved and adpated. Therefore, in a solar system near to them, they terraformed a planet to make it habitable to their target species: humans. This planet, a terrestrial planet slightly smaller than Earth and with about half the landmass, had been made habitable, then populated with modified species from a few different planets, the main one being Earth. This resulted in mixed, but relatively uniform (non-diverse), ecosystems populated by many animals and plants known to the soon-to-be progenitors, but also by quite a few they had never heard of or imagined before.

The Legnae take the former population of the Roman city to the planet, dubbed Ancanaln. En route, the Legnae teach them the basics necessities of survival, including how to hunt, how to travel, and a quick debriefing on many of the foreign lifeforms they will encounter. Once they reach the planet, the humans are placed in a primitive city, one of much lower tech than their own back on Earth. Every inhabitant of the city was given a communicator: a small, golden wristband with voice controls, where must only utter a simple phrase in Legaean to contact one of their human-Legnae relations officers.

For many generations following the initial transposition, Legnae would constantly be meddling in the affairs of the humans on Ancanaln, preventing them from being wiped out by disease, conflict, or simply a lack of repopulation. They would be exchanging species with others until they found the right balance of threats and friends; they'd interfere with battles and uprising, forcing peace upon the people; they'd forcefully impregnate human women with human sperm to further their population growth. This entire history would be orally passed down, as writing material was scarce and most writing occurred only for monumental or ritualistic purposes.

As time went on, the contact between the two species became less and less. The human inhabitants became able to handle the world themselves, and the communicators given to the original settlers were rendered inactive by the Legnae in order to severe links between themselves and the humans. When the communicators were switched off, many a city would fall into a panic. Many of them fell into disorder and chaos and were quickly brought to the ground. Others would be caught under martial law and the inhabitants of those cities were living in hell. It came to a point where the Legnae realized that cutting off all contact at once could not be considered a viable option, so they decided to restart the project. They couldn't just get a new planet, so this one had to be cleansed. They couldn't just get another batch of humans; the species on Earth had already grown past usefulness. In the end, it was decided to gather a group of humans from Ancanaln who had not fallen into complete chaos, similar in size to the original population, and large numbers of lifeforms from the inhabited areas, and detain them on the spaceship that had been monitoring the planet since the beginning. Once detained, the Legnae sprayed a chemical across the cities that would kill all life living there. They then made it rain for many days until the chemicals had all cleared off. Next step was to re-inhabit the land with the non-human species, and then finally the humans were finally allowed back. From there the Legnae would not get involved unless direly needed, and the human species would be allowed to grow and adapt in peace.

One question to you guys: is there any major flaw with this idea? I understand if the aliens and the terraforming and such seems like quite the stretch, but does it feel consistent or is there a major discrepancy/logical fallacy that I have missed?
The world is made of many ideas,
The hopes and dreams of the weak and wondrous.
They meld and twist from what they were,
And give us the mess surrounding us.