CCC Land Grab

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: CCC Land Grab

Post by communistplot »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:I2 > I1 > G2, with Batti for my claim.

Climate map, assuming small strips of land/water missing from the polar areas:
The one criticism I have is that on the island I'd created there's supposed to be a mountain range extending along the eastern half of the island into the north-western part.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I think Lyhoko only marked those regions that looked high enough to have an "alpine" climate, superceding the normal expectations of the latitude. My continental fragment is meant to be pretty rugged (similar to Indonesia or the west coast of North America), but the mountains are low enough to be covered in woods, grass, scrub, and so forth. I would assume its the same with your island.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I like the climate map (can't make any criticisms of it, I'm afraid). Glad to see I guest well for the Amphibimorphs.
It was about time I changed this.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Many thanks to Lyhoko and Catdoom for the climate maps.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm gonna take the island at V4r, although I'm skeptical that such a small island would be all desert. Maybe golem ruling class and human underclass (although I doubt I'll actually make anything out of it... I just want to grab land before it all disappears).

If someone could make a map which shows the claimed spaces, that'd be pretty cool btw.

While I'm at it, I wanna make E9 a dragon space.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Are we combining species within a culture? In which case I might have an idea.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

This map should have the (primary) land grabs so far... please make sure I recorded yours correctly.
Attachments
CCC-land-grab-2.gif
CCC-land-grab-2.gif (161.58 KiB) Viewed 5463 times

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

I'll take P10 with the golems, if De Graut doesn't mind. Presumably created by the nightpeople. Alternatively I'll take O11. Golems should withstand cold relatively easily, so the northern ice, unlike our Antarctica, could still maintain a civilization.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

A suggestion: if you make the planet unusually dry, cold or hot, that would explain very easily why golems are the dominant species: they may simply be able to live in many more places than the other species can.

[Personally, I'd have put the continents in more polar positions, so that there could be great polar expanses of pure golem civilisation, then temperate golem-other interaction zones, with the non-golem societies exiled to the few bits of warmer land nearer the equator]

Of course, we come back again to the piecemeal nature of the project. It would really make sense if everyone discussed where the different species originated and why they are dominant (or not) before plunking down random civilisations all over the place.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Humans at J -2 please.

Yeah, I don't want to kill myself with golems. Suppose one can expand from selected square?

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Well, apparently my dragons prefer coastal and cold regions. Both squares with them in are in taiga and near water. so, they could supposedly have once been marine predators, given their rubbery skin (I actually had this sort of thing in mind). I'd imagine they could once have been more widespread, but displaced in recent millennia by golems, say.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Why golems are dominant seems quite easy to explain to me: ex post facto it could be said that they have this huge advantage of not needing to eat, not needing shelter, or water, and being more or less impervious to disease and death during childbirth, and having huge lifespans: therefore, it would just take for golems to have made very many golems back in the day for there to be a large number of golems.

I agree that it all feels very kitchensinky right now. Maybe this is the nature of the beast here? I agree that in all art composition is as important, if not more, than just throwing elements into the canvas: but the fun part of the conworld here could be reconciling the results of this chaotic kitchen sink methodology? kind of like when someone just draws a squiggle on the paper and then, out of the random squiggle, the challenge is to produce a meaningful drawing.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

I think Torco has a good idea here.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Can you save the map files as .png? .gif ruins the colors and is only really good for animated images. (also note that my .png climate map is about 1/5 the size of the .gifs)

It's hard to tell which squares are which species (and Rob's turned a color that isn't even marked in the key...)
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Rob didn't indicate what species he wanted, which is why his square is a weird color.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Mine looks like a weird colour, and not the golem colour, but that might just be the transparent colour interacting with the colour on the layer below.

personak
Sanci
Sanci

Post by personak »

Humans at K7r please?
Remember, kids. Aspirate your initial plosives!
http://nathansoftware.blogspot.com

FOSCA

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Does it seem ironic that shadow creatures (Khsinesir) are living in a desert?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Ahzoh wrote:Does it seem ironic that shadow creatures (Khsinesir) are living in a desert?
lots of sun - clouds + rocks or something = shadows

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

clawgrip wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Does it seem ironic that shadow creatures (Khsinesir) are living in a desert?
lots of sun - clouds + rocks or something = shadows
I suppose they will be like those winged creatures from Pitch Black, they'll be hiding in caves, but wait till night and you're fucked.

Suppose it's too late to add some details to my species?
I was going to have:
They can teleport between shadows, for example, if there was a shadow behind a rock, and another rock with a shadow behind it, they could telpeort between them, in fact that's how they travel during the day, otherwise the sun would literally set them alight. They are fatally photosensitive.
Though they have a magical ability which grants them incredible heat resistance, enough to be able to hold and shape molten metals with their hands.
The Ḵsīnesīr like heat and will live in hot regions, and volcanoes even...
Mind you they often keep to themselves.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I think that, given the distribution of species we've got so far, the hardest thing to explain will probably be how a civilization of nightpeople wound up on that arctic island. The species originated in a desert region, which so far looks like it was probably in the south of the big continent, and it's a long way from point A to point B. They are mysterious and sneaky, though, so the most satisfying answer might very well be "nobody knows..."

For what it's worth, my current thinking is that my species (the Cynocephali) originated on the southern part of Lyhoko's continent during a colder period, during which it may have extended further southwest into the shallow sea surrounding my continental fragment. I'm basically imagining their most immediate ancestors as analogous to earth's cave hyenas, roaming an ancient region of tundra steppe. They may have had trouble adapting as the steppe transitioned into forest during the current climatic era, which made it easier for other, more adaptable sentient species to displace them.

Looking at the map, maybe the "dragons" arrived first, taking over the valuable coastal territories and driving most of the Cynocephali into the interior. Subsequently, golems arrived and probably started mining the mountainous interior for valuable minerals, coming into conflict with the remaining Cynocephali, who were ultimately all-but eradicated. The remaining survivors have adapted to life on those (relatively) southerly islands that the dragons weren't as interested in.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

The amphibimorphs arose exactly where they are. There are in fact many related species spread across the globe.
The amphibimorphs are the only ones to adopt their young the way they do, though most ther traits are shared. The krauk, the most closely related species, breed in rivers, the young go out to sea, they come back and, instead of being adopted, they hang around until they develop legs. They then leave the rivers and search out a krauk family to be "adopted" by. Though by this time they are adults and don't need raising.

My own theory concerning amphibimorph sentience, and possibly their adoption practices, is that an ancient, extinct civilisation, god, extraterrestrial or conworlder came along, chose a species and tampered with it, creating the first amphibimorphs.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

It would probably be easiest to say the Batti developed right around the place that I picked for my civilization/group/whatever. Nice and warm, and should be plenty of food available, and it's easy to get to without having to worry about flying into a tree.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

For the golems, there is a black tower in the tile I chose, covered in symbols. This is where the golems come from. They have forgotten how to read the symbols or enter the tower, but they know it is very important.

Sakir
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sakir »

Matrix wrote:For the golems, there is a black tower in the tile I chose, covered in symbols. This is where the golems come from. They have forgotten how to read the symbols or enter the tower, but they know it is very important.
It could be like the Kaaba, and golems of various kinds go on a hajj to visit it :D