CCC cultures - By Fri 2/28 - done, go vote!

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: CCC cultures - By Mon 2/24

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Lyra wrote:Holy damn, Clawgrip! It is truly grand!

@Ceresz, I'm working on a zoomed version of our general area. If you are interested send a PM.

~Lyra
Clawgrip gives me inspiration for my Ḵsīnesīr.
Can you make a zoom-up of where my Ḵsīnesīr live?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Ahzoh wrote:
Lyra wrote:Holy damn, Clawgrip! It is truly grand!

@Ceresz, I'm working on a zoomed version of our general area. If you are interested send a PM.

~Lyra
Clawgrip gives me inspiration for my Ḵsīnesīr.
Can you make a zoom-up of where my Ḵsīnesīr live?
That continent ain't mine.... :S

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

*sigh*
And now I think of a species that might have worked here...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

If you have something that'd fit in, by all means put it in. Obviously you can't retroactively win the species vote, but you can create a culture with it.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Just dropping in to say I wouldn't mind if the deadline was extended by a day or two.
It's been a busy week, I won't have any time over the week end either, so I won't be ready by Monday.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ars Lande wrote:Just dropping in to say I wouldn't mind if the deadline was extended by a day or two.
It's been a busy week, I won't have any time over the week end either, so I won't be ready by Monday.
seconded =3

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Torco wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:Just dropping in to say I wouldn't mind if the deadline was extended by a day or two.
seconded =3
thirded

Also, I thought of making my Khsinesir to be 4-dimensional beings but I'm not sure how that would work for language, and culture...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

OK, by Friday of next week then...

I'm thinking of changing the stakes... there may not be enough entrants for a per-continent vote-off, and it doesn't do much for people on islands anyway.

Instead, I think the reward will be an increase in squares proportional to the voting.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I ended up taking portions of four four different squares for the Domun culture because of their nomadic lifestyle, so if no one votes for them then I suppose we can just reduce their area and have a bunch of them die off or something.

Sakir
Sanci
Sanci

Re: CCC cultures - By Fri 2/28

Post by Sakir »

Kyahida Ethnic Group
Symbiotic Human/Golem Coastal People
Golems form center of Human family units, which form clans, which form a loose federation
Religion based on ritually building things & ancestor reverence
Federated, clan governance
Relatively peaceful, maritime ambitions

Coast, waterways, and vales of the Southeast Lyran Peninsula
KyahidaGeoContext.png
KyahidaGeoContext.png (63.41 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
KyahidaPrehistoricRange.png
KyahidaPrehistoricRange.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Racial Composition
75% Human
25% Golemmic

Subsistence
Gardening
Fishing (Lowlands)
Hunting (Highlands)
Limestone & Salt Mining

Humans do most of the work, with golems pitching in for heavy labor tasks (typically construction and mining). The 'characteristic' dish of Kyahidans is a hot, spicy fish soup with cabbage and not-accidentally-swallowed-sized chunks of pumice with a pleasingly carved limestone or salt figurine standing in the soup. What parts you eat is raciallly dependent :P

Social Schema
Geographic clans consist of 3-12 families each, loosely federated and engaging in commerce with each other.

Clans are relatively sedentary and have an extent of territory with access to the coast (or at least a fertile waterway), a quarry-able location, and some forested hills. Each family is comprised of 1-2 golems and 2-10 humans, the human portion composed of a slightly extended family (grandparents and unwed aunts & uncles, typically). Where paired, the golems are typically 'mates', or the second golem is an orphan that has been adopted.

Kyahidan families are headed by the golem member, who is exalted in the culture for their longevity and coolheadedness: a lot of the culture is about showing to other families that one's golem is well looked after. Children seeking to start new families will adopt golems that have outlived their own families, or the child's family will endeavor to create a new golem. In return, a family's golem acts as an arbiter of disputes and 'heavy lifter', as well as a focus for the Kyahidan's reverence for ancestors. For example, each golem has adorning/embedded into them relics of ancestors who died: the oldest golems tend to acquire quite ornate bone necklaces with the fingerbones of past family members.

If it weren't for golems' general predisposition to being humble and unambitious, (if they were human) they would likely have subjugated the Kyahidan humans a while ago. However, the combination of social privilege and the psychological/material rewards of engaging with a family together make being a Kyahidan golem a pretty comfortable station in society, aside from dealing with human passions. The strength of the typical golem (physically and in terms of social capital) is typically enough to curb the ambitions of sociopathic or violent family members.

However, Kyahidan clans can become just as territorial as human tribes can be, so the federation of Kyahidans are constantly at some level of low-order war or dispute.

Religion
Kyahidans are a very spiritual people, but straddle a compromise between their racial sensibilities, engaging in a combination of ancestor remembrance and an explanation of the material world via capricious forces of nature that are unconcerned, though only occasionally bearing malice, for the happiness of its people. Golems are hardier, it is said, because this force enjoys constructed things more than that which grows by itself. This informs a general societal pressure to raise golems, construct buildings, and engage in fine crafts (usually of stone, wood, and sea shells). Ancestors are believed to resonate with the family golem, imparting a degree of luck: some Kyahidans even believe that the act of having one's bones turned into a golem's necklace represents a final 'construction' that explains how ancestors can impart luck & wisdom to the golem.

Ritualistic practices usually involve crafting something piece by piece or erecting some form of structure, sometimes left to stand or to be burned or sunk into the ocean, depending on the desired effect (and the particulars change over the 2500 years of prehistory).

Sexual Mores
Kyahidans early in their history are best described as being relatively 'Old Testament'-level patriarchal, but with the power of the father being checked by a half-ton golem whose sensibilities are to protect all of its family members from violence. So, although the mores themselves are very strict and rigid, the consequences for breaking them are usually verbal, not physical, haranguing. Mothers bearing children out of wedlock (i.e.: not having adopted/constructed a golem to create the new family) are either hastily arranged into a marriage or their child adopted by the mother's father (with the family golem's ritual approval, of course).

Homosexuals face pressure to 'straighten up and get married to have children' if possible. Where this isn't the case, they bear a 'disappointment stigma' that can nonetheless be overriden by becoming a warrior, craftsman, long-range fisher, or caretaker of children. The stigma is more due to parents wanting grandchildren than a consequence of the homosexuality itself. Married individuals who engage in homosexual affairs are shamed for their unfaithfulness, but less so than those who engage in heterosexual affairs (where risk of child exists). Homosexual marriage is a Kyahidan oxymoron: marriage is for kids.

Trangendered individuals are seen as having an 'odd' fashion choice, but are generally treated by others according to whether they are willing to reproduce ('odd looking heterosexual') or not ('odd looking homosexual').

Golemmophilic individuals are seen as profaning the esteemed golems, and are the main group that has systemic hatred borne against them: it's like saying you 'get hot for Jesus wearing grandma's dress'. Where the golem returns the affections, the golem risks shunning from other Kyahidan golems and disgracing their attendant human family members.

Government
The largest unit of Kyahidan culture is the federation, with eligibility based largely on linguistic grounds, with accomodations for those few tribal peoples who revere golems in a similar fashion as Kyahidans. The real governance, however, is done at the clan level with an elder council composed of the oldest humans and golems. Occasionally, various clans' councils will send delegates to each other or visit for festivals, disputes, and joint operations (such as military alliance obligations). To war within the federation is discouraged, and manifests as series of raiding sorties. Actual conquest is typically of non-federated peoples, although the need for conquest isn't typically expressed except in instances where Kyahidans have been aggrieved by a non-federated tribe.

Language
Kyahidans (golem and human alike) speak Kjáhida. I'm gonna handwave here and say that Kyahidans of this period speak 'proto-Kjáhida', though, so that I don't have to redo it as we move forward :P

Division of Labor
Kyahidan families generally specialize in an activity, and share the fruits of their labors with other families in their clan. As such, a whole family (excepting 'vulnerable' members like pregnant women, very young children, and elders) will generally engage in their trade. Families are very often formed by a couple from two different kinds of family, and they will typically grow/expand the business of the more infuential partner's family. Kyahidans are talented sailors, and will do well in maritime affairs once their material technology rises a bit.

Goals
If I receive votes, and I put them to cultural expansion, I intend to take the squares to my east, nab the islands extending south, and (if still having squares left) push inland along the peninsula and hopefully encounter Kawdek.

Man, it's a lot of work to put together the most rudimentary culture sketch!

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

zompist wrote:OK, by Friday of next week then...
Sounds good to me. That was cutting it close with only a handful of cultures developed out of 33, and it's the end of the week.
zompist wrote:I'm thinking of changing the stakes... there may not be enough entrants for a per-continent vote-off, and it doesn't do much for people on islands anyway.

Instead, I think the reward will be an increase in squares proportional to the voting.
Also sounds good. I think voting might get rather political from now on, lol.
If I receive votes, and I put them to cultural expansion, I intend to take the squares to my east, nab the islands extending south, and (if still having squares left) push inland along the peninsula and hopefully encounter Kawdek.
Spoken like a politician. :mrgreen:
It was about time I changed this.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I hope people vote according to how good they think something is and not, as it has been suggested, for geopolitical reasons. There's already a game of democracybeing run.
EDIT: i meant diplomacy, but i'll keep funny brainfart.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Torco wrote:I hope people vote according to how good they think something is and not, as it has been suggested, for geopolitical reasons. There's already a game of democracybeing run.
EDIT: i meant diplomacy, but i'll keep funny brainfart.
I will be. I'm enjoying the creative diversity.

Anyway, from what I understand, just because your continent/species/culture/language does well, doesn't mean you get to control it later. Within cultures and empires there will be subcultures and provinces/states/client kingdoms that we can create.

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

I, for one, would not complain if the neighbors get to beat up on my mud orcs. I just hope everyone makes the deadline!
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

i drew a mecongai because i was bored

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Nice. Now I want to do the same with my amphibimorphs, monkees, dragons and golems! At least little sketches of them.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

i think there will be many drawings.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I like the pic, but pedantically have to ask: why wouldn't he* just use his finger as a chisel? Surely a stone-working golem would fit out his fingers with very dense minerals, or is that not possible?

* Pronouns are going to be a challenge. Ge?

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

They/them/their. Problem solved.

Or Myonian "shi" or Zukish "hïn" or Ancaron "et"...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

"It" isn't out of the question. I don't think the golems would mind much.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

zompist wrote:I like the pic, but pedantically have to ask: why wouldn't he* just use his finger as a chisel? Surely a stone-working golem would fit out his fingers with very dense minerals, or is that not possible?

* Pronouns are going to be a challenge. Ge?
It's totally possible. But it seems to me like it would be awkward to apply the proper force to such a chisel with your other hand.

Pronouns can be it, they, or your alternative of choice.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

omg so racist! let each golem choose their own pronouns, instead of you deciding their gender or lack thereof based on their race. bigots :P
< only relevant because in the culture i'm gonna submit, they're males >

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

I've always been a fan of xe/xir, personally.

My culture is in progress and it is probably not very good.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I should have my dragons done tomorrow.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

You guys are amazing! I've been tinkering with a map for Ngoor Ÿ, but all my efforts seem to fall flat compared to what's already been posted here. I fear my culture will seem positively drab for lack of visual flair.