Where are the African conlangs?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Where are the African conlangs?

Post by Birdlang »

Once I made a conlang that used the entire African Reference Alphabet. It is spoken in a future Togo. It is called Etyecha Afrika.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Nortaneous wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:haven't seen anyone use labial flaps
wait, *i've* used labial flaps

edit: bantu + japhug / weird polysynthetic sino-tibetan languages could be interesting, but doesn't H13 already have one of those
Kangshi, kinda. It's got noun classes, word tone, and prefixing morphology. It's not really polysynthetic tho, nor does it have the silly syntatic things Bantu langs do. I really mostly made it for the phonological hilarity.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Yeah. I made a Japhug weird polysynthetic Sino Tibetan language. It has every sound in the IPA and every modification. It even has the ExtIPA!!!

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

Birdlang wrote: It has every sound in the IPA and every modification. It even has the ExtIPA!!!
Whyyy
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

That... doesn't really have anything to do with weird Qiangojaphug, it's just being silly.

(nb when I said phonological hilarity, I did not mean it had a lot of sounds; Kangshi has 14 consonants)
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Birdlang wrote:Once I made a conlang that used the entire African Reference Alphabet. It is spoken in a future Togo. It is called Etyecha Afrika.
I'd be interested in taking a look at a grammar sketch you may have worked out. Could you post such info here or give us a link? :) I'm actually working on a West African conlang now--the one I've mentioned here before.

Edits: Minor typos fixed.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Well, I also included midievalist characters. Like all the scribal abbreviations.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Arzena wrote:
Birdlang wrote: It has every sound in the IPA and every modification. It even has the ExtIPA!!!
Whyyy
Because I wanted to use my favorite characters. Latin Extended D. I am thankful it was both uppercase and lowercase. It is a kitchen sink though.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Arzena wrote:
Whyyy
Because the aliens can pronounce any sound. It has to be written in extended Latin script with uncommon letters.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Birdlang wrote:
Arzena wrote:
Whyyy
Because the aliens can pronounce any sound. It has to be written in extended Latin script with uncommon letters.
Humans can also pronounce every sound in the IPA, yet no human language uses all of those sounds. Seriously, why are you so proud of making KSLs?

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
Birdlang wrote:
Arzena wrote:
Whyyy
Humans can also pronounce every sound in the IPA, yet no human language uses all of those sounds. Seriously, why are you so proud of making KSLs?
I cannot pronounce every sound, but I am proud because they are easy to use but have every thing in the book.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

No, they're not at all easy to use, in fact their complexity makes them impossible to use.

shanoxilt
Sanci
Sanci

Post by shanoxilt »

SomeUserToo? wrote:I do remember reading of Afrihili, a pan-African auxlang:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrihili
The problem with it is that the learning resources are so scarce and the author does not provide any etymologies.