Telmona - Word order in Tǝɣrâ (isolating V2 language)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Telmona - Word order in Tǝɣrâ (isolating V2 language)

Post by Dewrad »

I would guess that I'm mainly known these days on the ZBB for two conlangs: Dravian and Proto-Wenetic, both a posteriori conlangs set in fictionalised variants of the real world.

Those of you who have been around for a long time and have good/kind enough memories might also recall that I created Arvorec, many years ago now. Those with even better memories might also be aware that I also have a whole conplanet, Telmona. This planet is probably the longest-running of my projects, having been through numerous versions and iterations since I was about eight or so. Which, frighteningly, means that Telmona is about two decades old now.

One of the reasons I've not worked on it much recently is because the most recent world map displeased me, and was making the history I wanted to happen not happen. About three days ago, I was idly doodling in the back of an exercise book when I should have been working. I thought to myself "hey, that shape would make a really good continent." I replicated it in the GIMP and set about creating a new world map. A preliminary version is below (click on the image for a fucking huge version):

Comments invited, particulary on the subject of climate (never something I've been good at: I tend to just assume that it's going to be similar to Earth at the same latitude and then discover that my flourishing agricultural civilisation is actually in the middle of a Sahara-like wasteland.)
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Telmona - World Map

Post by gach »

What's that tall mountain range on the southern continent near the central meridian? Its tallest parts look quite isolated. I was thinking if it could have been a site for some massive volcanism in the past but that would have strong effects for the planetary ecology.

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

Very nice. I like the tenuous chain of islands between the northern and western continents.

Do you have any tectonics worked out? I always like tectonic verisimilitude, but it can be difficult to arrange with some style.

Sakir
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sakir »

Are the orbital and physical parameters of Telmona similar to Earth? That'll help decide what kind of atmospheric circulation you have going, and thus the climates.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I was going to ask for a larger map, but... oh no, I see you've got that covered.

Still: do you have a larger map that still has the graticule?

And do you have it available in other projections?

And well done for having a lot of basins. I'm not sure I understand all the mountain ranges and all the basins, but at least you've got some, which is more than most of us manage. Did you do all that yourself, or did you use some sort of fractal tool, may I ask?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Salmoneus wrote:I was going to ask for a larger map, but... oh no, I see you've got that covered.
It's not the size that counts, Sal.
Still: do you have a larger map that still has the graticule?
Sure this one is the same size as the fucking huge map, but retains the graticule and has a more subdued colour scheme, while this one has a few toponyms, mainly on the northern continent.
And do you have it available in other projections?
I intend on playing around with this, but I have yet to look into whether gprojector will accept the base map.
And well done for having a lot of basins. I'm not sure I understand all the mountain ranges and all the basins, but at least you've got some, which is more than most of us manage. Did you do all that yourself, or did you use some sort of fractal tool, may I ask?
Half and half, I guess. I had an idea of where I wanted the main mountain ranges, the intervening territory was generated by judicious use of randomly generated noise. The river basins and the erosion patterns are thanks to Wilbur, I could never have designed such intricate river systems entirely by hand. The general procedure I followed is adapted broadly from this tutorial from the Cartographer's Guild, with a number of tweaks at all stages.
CaesarVincens wrote:Very nice. I like the tenuous chain of islands between the northern and western continents.

Do you have any tectonics worked out? I always like tectonic verisimilitude, but it can be difficult to arrange with some style.
Kinda-sorta: I know where the main plate boundaries are, and have a vague idea of previous tectonic arrangements. This has informed a lot of the map: Molchais, the southern continent shaped like a comma fits into eastern Adeia quite neatly, which suggests they only recently broke up: the mountain range along the eastern coasts of Molchais and Adeia are probably connect, the result of the eastern oceanic plate subducting under the continental plates. The mountains in the middle of Adeia and the long island chain are probably the result of two plates colliding into each other at a more remote point. But beyond that, my ideas are hazy at best.
Sakir wrote:Are the orbital and physical parameters of Telmona similar to Earth? That'll help decide what kind of atmospheric circulation you have going, and thus the climates.
Broadly. I have some data from a "previous version", which still holds, with the exception of most of the names.

Telmona is the fifth planet in the Auras system, a main sequence G2 star rather like our own sun, only very slightly smaller (0.98 solar masses). There are eleven planets in the system in total, four of which are gas giants, the remaining are terrestrial. Between the third and fouth planet there's an asteroid belt. Only two of the terrestrial planets have an atmosphere and surface water, Telmona and Semisa. Of the two, only Telmona can support life, Semisa is too cold and is covered in ice. Telmona is fairly earth-like, in terms of size and composition. It has a slightly smaller axial inclination (21 degrees), a longer year and a slightly longer rotation period (by about an hour or so).
gach wrote:What's that tall mountain range on the southern continent near the central meridian? Its tallest parts look quite isolated. I was thinking if it could have been a site for some massive volcanism in the past but that would have strong effects for the planetary ecology.
It's a bloody big mountain range. I think it's partially due to subduction, like the American Cordillera, but massive volcanism isn't out of the question either.
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

This looks very fine to me. The northern continent is similar enough in shape and location to Eurasia to have similar climates (if there is something like the Gulf Stream, which I am not sure about that it would) and similar cultures as Eurasia. But you can also do something entirely different with it.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Sooo.... half an hour to work out the climates, current estimate three millenia to try to get a graphics program to select all the fucking ocean and make a layer out of it so that I only colour in the land.
[I have no idea what even isn't working. It's something to do with the map being covered in little gradient lines, though, I think]

EDIT: ah-HA!

...that looks hideous. Still, probably better than the previous attempt, which looked really pretty but was indecipherable.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Dewrad wrote:It's a bloody big mountain range. I think it's partially due to subduction, like the American Cordillera, but massive volcanism isn't out of the question either.
I was asking because the way the high peaks and the plateau are situated in the interior of the continent surrounded by much lower ground practically from all sides makes it hard to fit a believable subduction zone under it. You can maybe dodge the problems a bit if you assume the subducted plate to have had a funny shape that made wildly uneven subduction possible.

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

gach wrote:
Dewrad wrote:It's a bloody big mountain range. I think it's partially due to subduction, like the American Cordillera, but massive volcanism isn't out of the question either.
I was asking because the way the high peaks and the plateau are situated in the interior of the continent surrounded by much lower ground practically from all sides makes it hard to fit a believable subduction zone under it. You can maybe dodge the problems a bit if you assume the subducted plate to have had a funny shape that made wildly uneven subduction possible.
Or something like India perhaps, though there is a rather lack of plateau or mountain ranges to the northwest either way.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

CaesarVincens wrote:Or something like India perhaps, though there is a rather lack of plateau or mountain ranges to the northwest either way.
The Himalayas are an example of an uneven mountain range but it's hardly an isolated one being part of a long chain of mountains along southern Eurasia.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Well, if I can't make it pretty, I can damn well make it striking. Just imagine you're living in the 1970s or something....

I've just used fairly broad categories:
- equatorial purple is rainforesty. Not sure any of it is 100% torrential-all-year rainforest, but it's basically rainforesty
- lilacky is savanarish. It goes further north than true savannah, so in those places it may be 'subtropical east coast' or whatever they call it (yes, including on the west, coastal angles and mountains ranges can mess things up)
- turquoise (or whatever) is monsoony, probably. Where I've got the monsoon going into the hills, that depends on how high the hills are at that point, and nearby
- yellow is dry. I've not attempted to distinguish sahel/steppe/desert or cold/dry. Just... not much rain. Hilly areas are interesting here. Obviously, they may be distinctly tibetan-dry rather than just dry. Some basins will be ultra-dry. On the other hand, some of the lower hills may actually be a little damp - it depends on height vs wet air currents vs temperature, there's a balance between high-enough-that-the-wind-drops-its-moisture and so-high-that-there's-a-permanent-high-pressure-zone-that-pushes-the-wet-air-away. So some of the hills may have pleasant highland climates. And this may be particularly an issue on that central western continent, with the western mountains - moisture, height, temperature, details of wind currents, may be the difference between highlands, cloud forest, and atacama.
- orange is vaguely mediterranean. Bottom left continent is a little odd - the 'med' extends a long way south. This again is all about the height of those mountains. How strong is their high pressure zone? I'm thinking it's strong enough that summers on that coastline are kept dry. On the other hand, you've got rainshadow to consider in autumn and spring, which I'm thinking may make that coast wetter in those seasons. So that coast will, I think, probably be somewhere between mediterranean and maritime? EDIT: yeah, ok, this area is basically Csb mediterranean, isn't it? Only it goes a little poleward of that at the edges, but never mind.
- bright green is deciduous forest. Given the rearrangement of the continents and lack of warming currents, particularly on the northern continent, I'm thinking that I've actually shown them going too far north and more of that should be taiga, or even tundra. Easy enough to fiddle with, though. The southern parts of those islands to the west will be laurisilvan I think.
- come to think of it, the northern coast of the northern continent isn't all that far north, particularly in the west. So I think that much of that coastline - both what I have as deciduous and what I have as taiga - will actually be subarctic rainforest
- dark blue for taiga
- white for tundra?
- haven't done all the little islands sometimes

It's only a vague, first-look estimation (NB creating probably the largest picture file I've ever owned, 111 megabytes...), there's a lot of bits that are arguable. And of course I've assumed mostly earthlike temperatures, and I haven't taken into account the effect of, for instance, the lack of polar continents, and the lack of any uninterrupted circumpolar currents.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

The Mediterranean zones are a bit far from the equator (but maybe the planet is overall a bit warmer than Earth); otherwise, I can't notice any problems.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Well, as I said, it's only a vague classification, it's not necessarily meant to completely match the Koeppen criteria or anything. And anyway, if you take 'mediterranean' as including both Csa and Csb, I don't think they're far off.

EDIT: if Dew (or anyone else) wants to talk about any particular location, I may be able to give more reasoning and possibilities.

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

Salmoneus wrote:Well, if I can't make it pretty, I can damn well make it striking. Just imagine you're living in the 1970s or something....
Thanks to that map, I'm now seeing disco balls everywhere and hearing "wooka-chicka-wahka-chicka" music.

Thanks, Sal. Thanks.

:P
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

Here's your map in a few other projections (click to expand)

Plate Carree:
Robinson:
Winkel Tripel:

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Sal: that is pretty amazing. Thank you for that, it's beyond helpful: it would have taken me bloody ages to to do that on my own.

Rob: what did you use to make those?

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

Natural Scene Designer http://www.naturalgfx.com

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Telmona - Person marking and word order in Tǝɣrâ

Post by Dewrad »

I've been thinking recently about an isolating language, spoken in the south-east of the main northern landmass. I'm pretty pleased with the argument structure, so here it is:

Person marking and word order in Tǝɣrâ

Stated baldly, the underlying morphosyntactic alignment of Tǝɣrâ is deceptively simple: ergative-absolutive marking with EAV word order. A number of factors, however, conspire to make the surface instantiation of this irksomely complex.

Let us begin with the least marked species of sentance we can- a verb in the imperfect aspect with two animate third person arguments:

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
kua
boy

The lord is beating the boy.

We can immediately see that there is a deviation from the canonical argument order stated above: we have EVA, not EAV. This is due to the verb-second constraint in Tǝɣrâ. If we look at the same sentence with the verb in the perfect aspect, which is marked by an auxiliary verb, we see the following:

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
ndu
PRF
kua
boy
beat.PRF

The lord has beaten the boy.

(Ignore the tǝshâ~tâ change: a number of verbs in Tǝɣrâ have wholly dissimilar suppletive stems used in the perfect aspect. It does not pertain here.)

Another complication is when we add agent pronouns: canonically these always follow the verb:

kua
boy
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
ṇe
1SG

boy beat.IMP 1SG
I am beating the boy.

Here we see AVE order. In the perfect:

kua
boy
ndu
PRF
ṇe
1SG
beat.PRF

boy PRF 1SG beat.PRF
I have beaten the boy.

Note in both sentences that the agent is not marked with the ergative particle ye. This particle is only obligatory with 3rd person agents. When used with first and second person agents, it has a disjunctive force. Additionally, when first or second person pronoun co-occurs with the ergative particle, it behaves in the same manner as a full noun, thus:

ṇe
1SG
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
kua
boy

I am beating the boy.

Incidentally, we've just seen how to emphasise a 1st/2nd person subject there. To emphasise the object, we move it to the left edge of the phrase:

kua
boy
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
wa
WA

Two things to note here: if you're keeping up, you will have expected the AVE word order here, on account of the verb-second constraint. On the other hand, you might not have expected the particle wa at the end of the sentence. We'll explore this in greater depth below, but for now let's just note its position. This wa is one of the few preposed verbal particles- it is not a sentence-final particle. This is more evident in the perfect:

kua
boy
ndu
PRF
lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
wa
WA
beat.PRF

The lord has beaten the boy.

It gets just a little bit more complex when we have a pronominal agent rather than a nominal:

kua
boy
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
wa
WA
ṇe
1SG

I am beating the boy

kua
boy
ndu
PRF
wa
WA
beat.PRF
ṇe
1SG

I have beaten the boy

So... from this, we might assume that the wa-particle serves to emphasise the object/patient, right?

Wrong. It's the inverse particle, and henceforth we'll be denoting it as INV in the gloss. Tǝɣrâ, like some Athabaskan languages and one or two Tibeto-Burman languages, has a species of direct-inverse argument structure. Wikipedia's as good as any to quote at this stage:

"The definition of a direct–inverse language [...] is widely understood to involve different grammar for transitive predications according to the relative positions of their "subject" and their "object" on a person hierarchy, which in turn is some combination of saliency and animacy specific to a given language. The direct construction is the unmarked one. The direct construction is used when the subject of the transitive clause outranks the object in the person hierarchy, and the inverse is used when the object outranks the subject."

Until we met kua tǝshâ lɨɣao ye wa, we had been dealing with direct constructions. Tǝɣrâ's direct-inverse system does not correspond to the canonical definition given above precisely: in the sentence kua tǝshâ lɨɣao ye wa, the nominal constituents were still marked for agent and patient as they are in a direct construction, rather it is the verbal marking which differed, triggered by the abnormal word order of A preceding E.

The saliency hierarchy in Tǝɣrâ is 1st/2nd person > 3rd person animate > 3rd person inanimate. If the two arguments of a verb both occupy the same "rank" on the hierarchy and we have unmarked word order, a direct construction is used. If the agent outranks the patient and we have unmarked word order, a direct construction is used. However, if the patient outranks the agent, or if there is a marked word order, an inverse construction is used.

For example, taking the sentence "the lord is beating me", we might expect the Tǝɣrâ

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
ṇe
1SG

*The lord is beating me.

based on the sentence with a nominal patient seen above:

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
kua
boy

We would be wrong to expect this. As the 1st person outranks the 3rd person, we should rather expect an inverse construction:

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
wa
INV
ṇe
1SG

The lord is beating me.

Given that "animate" in Tǝɣrâ thought indicates "capable of language", animals are outranked by humans. So in a sentence where we have a non-human agent and a human patient, we need the inverse construction:

rɨsor
dog
ye
ERG
ñjua
bite.IMP
lɨɣao
lord
wa
INV

A dog is biting the lord.

Moving on, like many languages with absolutive alignment, Tǝɣrâ lacks a "passive voice", allowing instead free deletion of agents in transitive clauses. However, in such a construction, while the agent is no longer overtly instantiated, it is considered to still be underlyingly present. And an unstated agent requires the inverse construction:

lɨɣao
lord
ñjua
bite.IMP
wa
INV

The lord is being bitten.

That is, unless an instrument is stated. (Obviously.) Let us take the straightforward direct construction "the lord beats the boy with a stick".

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
lǝlaṃ
stick
ta
INST
kua
boy

The lord is beating the boy with a stick.

(Note the unmarked position of the instrument here: between E and A.)

To say "the boy is being beaten with a stick", we delete the agent as we did with the lord getting bitten, but instead of using the normal inverse particle, we meet a new particle: mɛṃ (which for the sake of argument we'll call the "instrument focus", or IFO):

lǝlaṃ
stick
ta
INST
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
kua
boy
mɛṃ
IFO

The boy is being beaten with a stick.

This instrument focus particle also crops up when an instrumental phrase is left-dislocated for emphasis:

lǝlaṃ
stick
ta
INST
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
kua
boy
mɛṃ
IFO

The lord is beating the boy with a stick (and not e.g. another boy).

The same particle also occurs with intransitive verbs of motion where the destination or origin is emphasised:

sua
field
se
ALL
cu
go.IMP
lɨɣao
lord
mɛṃ
IFO

The lord is going to the field.

Now, what about transitive verbs lacking a stated patient? (I hear you cry.) Unexceptionally, Tǝɣrâ has an antipassive for this kind of thing. It is expressed by a particle from the same family as wa and mɛṃ. This is mo, which promotes the agent to a patient (i.e. it loses its ergative marker), and cannot co-occur with another particle from the same family.

lɨɣao
lord
tǝshâ
beat.IMP
mo
ANT

The lord is beating somebody.

The complication here is that the antipassive particle is found with a number of verbs which (to English sensibilities) are semantically intransitive anyway. As an example:

lɨɣao
lord
hoh
sleep.IMP
mo
ANT

The lord goes to sleep. (On account of being exhausted from all the beating, presumably.)

This is because this same set of verbs are actually transitives in Tǝɣrâ, with causative meaning:

lɨɣao
lord
ye
ERG
hoh
sleep.IMP
kua
boy

The lord puts the boy to sleep.

Finally, because this isn't complex enough, there are actually two antipassive particles: the already-encountered mo, and yi. The distinction between the two is one of control or agency: mo indicates a deliberate act on the part of the agent (and has an inceptive/inchoative nuance), while yi indicates a lack of intention or volition:

lɨɣao
lord
hoh
sleep.IMP
yi
ANT

The lord is sleeping.

Now, if you're keeping up, all this should be fairly straightforward. Happily, negation and relativisation add a further layer of complexity, and will be explored in a later post.

Benturi
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Telmona - Word order in Tǝɣrâ (isolating V2 language)

Post by Benturi »

This is very interesting and has inspired me to play with word order and particles in my iso-langs. If I may suggest an idea, before you explain negation and relativisation maybe you could post some sentences together with a translation (but without glosses) ant let others find out how it works?