[WIP] Eloi redone

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
MIGUELbM
Sanci
Sanci

[WIP] Eloi redone

Post by MIGUELbM »

Note: I made this language based on the lovely Eloi language of The Time Machine movie. I took what little transcriptions of the language exist and worked out the phonotactics, I didn't really want to remake Eloi, so I played with them a bit until I was satisfied (added a few consonants and clusters that did not exist). Then I started working on the morphology of the language, Eloi is clearly an agglutinative language so I began there and worked out the rest myself. No vocabulary of the original language was kept.

I've just began working on this language so there are many rules that are way too regular for a naturalistic conlang, with time I will refine then into something less neat.

Phonotactics

(V)(C1)V(C2)(V)

V: [a e i o u]
C1: [n l ɾ d t m k s b v f j w x ʰt ʰk ʰn ʰm]
C2: [n l ɾ d t m k s b v f j w x ʰt ʰk ʰn ʰm] and the [ɾ n] cluster

j becomes ks at the end of a word
ɾ becomes bɾ at the beginning of a word

Typology

Morphological
Eloi is an agglutinative language, gender, case, person, number, tense, mood, and aspect are all determined by a series of affixes

Morphosyntactic
Eloi is an Accusative Nominative language

Word Order
Eloi doesn't have a clear cut sentence word order, instead the word order determines the definiteness of the nouns.
Nouns that go before the verb in a sentence are indefinite while verbs that go after the verb are definite
The order of the Subject and Object is not fixed, but the most relevant or closer to the head is often put first

Note: can someone clarify whether or not this is practical in sub clauses or how it could be applied? I find sub clauses to be a pain in the ass

Grammar

Person and number agreement
Note: Objects and other non-defined entities are treated as 3rd person

Verb tense and aspect
The suffix -u is added for the NEGATIVE aspect
The suffix -i is added for the SUBJUNCTIVE mood
The suffix -e is added for the CAUSATIVE mood
Note: Moods cannot be combined, a dummy verb is needed

Noun cases and gender/number agreement

Verbs without argument NEED a person/number prefix
Intransitive verbs do not need a person/number prefix
Transitive verbs need a person number prefix, if the verb agrees with the subject it is in the active voice, but if the verb agrees with the object then it is in the passive voice

EDITS INBOUND...