CCC - Religion voting - thru MON 4/21

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: CCC - Religion voting - thru MON 4/21

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

You realize you people could actually vote for Vibrationism.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Not if they already voted for 4 other religions...
zompist wrote: We have just 13 entries, so this time please vote for 4 winners.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Plus, one can recognize vibrationism as a unique and amusing idea, but not actually want it to feature prominently in the world we're building...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Monday is over, so here are the totals.

Matrix - Mecongai philosophies- 20
Mornche - The Beautiful Game - 18
Catdoom - Swiivà Ngīzwáyadri - 18

Mornche - Rao monotheism - 13

KathAveara - Zalar ancestor worship - 7
Hydro - Dragolm vibrationism - 6
clawgrip - Họzọngluism and Taladdãnism, the two sects of Nyasĩngiism - 5
De Graute Bur - Zörachok religion - 5
Kaftzael - Tetratheonism - 2
Burke - Sunha - 4
ol bofosh - Haax, Tehe - 2
Ahzoh - Haraši Reqazim - 0
Hydro - Tsargoki mythical heroes - 0

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The reward is basically widespread acceptance of your religion. The top four religions should probably be the major philosophies of CCCP in the next era.

I'd rather not enforce this by fiat, but hope that people will take it into account. That is, you don't have to have your culture change religion... but especially if you're nearby, consider what you can take from the top religions. The Torcs actually took over the heartland of Raepʰɤn, for instance, so they'll end up adopting the religion of their new subjects-- Raoism.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I've been busy lately, couldn't even contribute to the voting.

This gives me a few ideas if I have the time:
Guop might have influence from Mecongai philosophies, possibly by way of Tsargoki mythical heroes.
Gaak will adopt ideas from Họzọngluism and/or Taladdãnism.

And Dragolm has a variety to choose from. I think a small space/mention should definitely be given to Dragolm Vibrationism.
The Slavers, being mindless and soulless, can't adopt any religon, but their slaves can, and all those living within their territories will probably be inspired to rebel by followers of the Beautiful Game (it boosts confidence, morale and physical prowess to rebel against the Slavers). The Humanist Golems in the North will enourage it, I think (perhaps with teams formed of "Dragon Vibrationists"). And Rao monotheism will play its part as a more "hopeful" religion, evoking hope more than revolution.
I'm just brainstorming.
It was about time I changed this.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Voting over already! I lost my Internet connection for two days and wasn't able to vote. Apologies, but thanks for the votes anyway!

Burke
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Burke »

Got a 4. Nice. It feels like I got a few extra marshmallows in my lucky charms.
Formerly a vegetable

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I geuss my culture's religion will be limited to only my culture...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Wow.

This result was beyond my wildest hopes. I'm happy to invite everyone who wants to come up with their own derivative of Raoism or their own version of the Beautiful Game. The more unusual, the better!

Perhaps Hydro should use vibrationism as the inspiration for an entry in the tech round coming up shortly.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Ahzoh wrote:I geuss my culture's religion will be limited to only my culture...
Perhaps, even in decline in the face of TBG and Raoism.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Oh, also: I'm wondering if we'll all get a couple of squares to play with, since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that no state will expand at all in the next era.

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

The Zwera will be adopting a mixture of Swiivà Ngīzwáyadri and Zorachok religion, which are actually quite compatible, at least on the face of it. I imagine missionaries from Nggwoó will first reach the Zwera colony on Otralyra, and the religion will spread to the rest of Zwera society from there. Interestingly, the success of Swiivà will actually boost the popularity of Zorachok religion principles in Dwína: the golems will have previously been well aware of the nightpeople's spirituality but quite resistant to it, until the wave of Swiivà proves the nightpeople were right about the moon all along. But the true victory of Swiivà is its acceptance by the research departments of the guilds, which redefine their mission to collate the world's knowledge for both the tangible benefit of members and the intangible beauty of understanding as a direct consequence of the creed: after all, the purpose of life is to perfect our awareness of the spirit of unending love, in both the metaphysical and in the physical. An apprentice's training in Zwáyadri is as important as—nay, the source of—his knowledge in his craft.

From Zörachok religion, the Zwera borrow the nightly rituals and the attitude towards the sun, which is viewed as a lesser entity who, despite its efforts to help Phusrwa and the other moons, is the source of more problems than solutions. The sun is not viewed malevolently, but is a spanner in the works, who through ditziness undoes the perfect plans of Phusrwa, but is still beloved by her, and so by us.

Meanwhile, the Zwera explorers on the northern tip of Raepʰɣn come into contact with the Č'ira̤̤, and observe a rather odd entity which is the passion of thousands and has the clout to compete with any of the guilds. The game is played with odd ropes and poles that grow towards the sky, rather than into the sea, and so the Zwera decline to participate, but take a keen interest in observing its rules and trying to explain the baffling calls of the umpires. Eventually they decide to try and adapt it to water, but I'll have to think more about the mechanics of that later.

Anyways, great job, everybody! Lots of fodder here; definitely gonna have some fun with it.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I'm not sure what to do with the Zalar, given their relative isolation down south. By this point, they'd be settled on a number of small islands, plus the two slightly larger ones.

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

We could always assume that the Zalar and the Dragolm established some kind of telepathic link and ancestor worship replaced the cult of the Holy Tuning Fork. From there it could spread almost anywhere.

Actually you might not even need a telepathic link. Not a lot of people know this, but the poles of CCCP loop, just like the east and west sides do, so if you go south from Zalar and cross over the northern polar continent, you will quickly reach Dragolm.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

There is always that possibility, Hydro. You are certainly living up to the second half of your name.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I'm not sure what to do with the En Soki either, since all the major religions seem to be really far from them, and they are the clear dominant power in their continent. Any idea how another religion can start filtering in there?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Here's my idea for the next stage; I'm going to explain it first in case people hate it. :)

I'll call it the Drama contest. The idea is to introduce some event which a) changes your culture, or introduces a new one, in a dramatic way, and b) if it wins the vote, can become a widespread event.

Some examples might be:

* A barbarian invasion that destroys the existing power structures.
* Magic becomes temporarily more powerful.
* Someone invents the printing press. Or a capitalist economy.
* A nasty disease affects one species.
* Ancient golems awake, instruct the people, then solidify.

So, if everyone votes for the barbarian invasion, it becomes a mega-massive barbarian empire. If everyone votes increased magic, then there's a period when magic is powerful over most of the planet. And so on. So, you would want to come up with something that can be generalized.

(Note, I'd also like to see histories filled out past 4000. So this idea is in part a way to encourage that.)

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Actually. I think at this point I would want my culture die off and be left as an "ancient peoples" with some leftover ruins or whatever.

I don't want to give it to someone else, and I proceeded far enough in this game to my satisfaction.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

clawgrip wrote:I'm not sure what to do with the En Soki either, since all the major religions seem to be really far from them, and they are the clear dominant power in their continent. Any idea how another religion can start filtering in there?
Well, Swiivà Ngīzwáyadri (whose name may, embarrassingly, have to be slightly revised to be grammatical) is definitely a missionary faith, and I imagine it spreading along coastal trade routes in northern Lyranis and southern Otralyra. Since there seem to be established trade routes from eastern Lyranis to Torcopea, along which Mecongai writing reached En Soki, I figure that Swiivà Ngīzwáyadri could get there the same way. The Mecongai philosophies could potentially spread along the same route, or perhaps even some syncretic combination of the two traditions.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

zompist wrote:Here's my idea for the next stage; I'm going to explain it first in case people hate it. :)

I'll call it the Drama contest. The idea is to introduce some event which a) changes your culture, or introduces a new one, in a dramatic way, and b) if it wins the vote, can become a widespread event.

Some examples might be:

* A barbarian invasion that destroys the existing power structures.
* Magic becomes temporarily more powerful.
* Someone invents the printing press. Or a capitalist economy.
* A nasty disease affects one species.
* Ancient golems awake, instruct the people, then solidify.

So, if everyone votes for the barbarian invasion, it becomes a mega-massive barbarian empire. If everyone votes increased magic, then there's a period when magic is powerful over most of the planet. And so on. So, you would want to come up with something that can be generalized.

(Note, I'd also like to see histories filled out past 4000. So this idea is in part a way to encourage that.)
I like it! I've been thinking for a while now about introducing a new culture on the islands between Lyranis and Torcopea (or possibly someoplace else) that undergo a philisophical awakening that causes them to enter a period of Polynesian-style expansion. Having them adopt a philosophy descended from Mecongai Landscapism might provide the prefect impetus...

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

CatDoom wrote:Well, Swiivà Ngīzwáyadri (whose name may, embarrassingly, have to be slightly revised to be grammatical) ...
This is what I got for changes and a gloss, based on the notes you mentioned in the other topic:
Swiiva Ngīzwaáyadri
Swii-va Ngī-zwaá-ya-dri
abstract_derivation-find GEN-love.COL-NEG-end
Discovery/awareness of all unending love

Assuming swii is a derivational prefix, va's actual meaning could likely be shifted a bit to get it to fit with the original awareness/understanding meaning that you mentioned originally, in this case it fits best in the singular. (Also, no noun ends in a falling tone) Additionally, the correct form of the collective has been added for zwaá.

(Also note that this is the proto-language, which would likely have been replaced by daughter languages by the time this religion developed, but I don't think anyone's been bothering with daughter languages much if at all... Just using the proto-language would be good for basic descriptions for now)
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

So, I imagine that the Mecongai and Nggwoo would exchange ideas through the return of Calligraphist historians to the Nggwoo lands. I imagine that most Mecongai would not believe in Phurswa and her husbands - though some might interpret the idea as people living on the moons and sun, but such would remain a minority view. However, the idea of Unending Love as a sort of "everybody should get along and work together" sort of deal would resonate with traditional Mecongai ideas of community, possibly even spurring revolt against the soldier caste of Leinopheon...

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Thanks Lyhoko! I figured it made sense to use the proto-language for the Nggwoó religion, since you dated it to around the year 4,000; if it had been spoken much earlier I probably would have contrived some sound changes.

Considering the wide-ranging influence of the Mecongai philosophies and the fact that they generally don't interfere with more spiritual beliefs, I would imagine that a lot of interesting syncretism could take place. I rather like the idea of a school of Swiiva Ngīzwaáyadri inspired by Landscapism, emphasizing meditations on natural beauty and "living beautifully."

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I imagine that the various Zalar peoples are living in a golden age right now. This means time to do lots of science and invention. Who knows, they may start exploring the globe. Though I'll still need to do all their languages.