Dzuish/דזוּאֽשׁ/Judeo-English

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Dzuish/דזוּאֽשׁ/Judeo-English

Post by Shemtov »

Basically, This is an alt-Lang where the Jews were never expelled from England and developed a Judeo-English much like Yiddish is to German or Ladino is too Spanish.
The main differences from Modern English are Phonology, Orthography, The Pronominal System, and Lexicon.

Phonology (with Romanization and Hebrew script)
/m n ŋ/ < m n ng> </נג נ/ן ם/מ>
/p b t d k g/ <p b t d k g/ <ג ק/כּ/ך ד ת/ט בּ פּ>
/f v s z ʃ x h/ <f v s z sh kh h> <ה ח ש ז ס/שׂ ו/ב פ/ף>
/t͡s dz/ <ts dz> <דז צ>
/j/<y> <י>
/l/ <l> <ל>
/r/ <r> <ר>

i u <ee oo> <וּ אִ>
ɪ ʊ <i u> <אֻ אְ>
e o <ae oh> <וֹ ע>
ə <ea> <אֶ>
ɛ ɔ <e o> <אָ אֵ>
ɑ <a> <א>

Diphthongs;
/oi ai/ <oi ai> <<אי וֹי>

<א> can also mean a null onset

Sound correspondences to standard English
English Dzuish
w v
wh f
θ s
ð z
t͡ʃ ts
d͡ʒ dz
ai ee

Pronominal system;

Nominative
1p singular: Ee אִ
1p plural: Vee וִ
2p singular: Zoo זוּ
2p Plural: Yoo יוּ
3p Male singular: Hee הִ
3p female singular Shee שִׁ
3p non-human singular: It אְת
3p Plural: Zae זע

Oblique:
1p singular: Mee מִ
1p plural: us אֻס
2p singular: Zee זִ
2p Plural: Yoo יוּ
3p Male singular: Him הְם
3p female singular Her הֵר
3p non-human singular: It אְת
3p Plural: Zem זֵם

Possessive
1p singular: Meen מִן
1p plural: Ar אר
2p singular: Zeen זִן
2p Plural: Yoor יוּר
3p Male singular: His הְס
3p female singular Hers הֵרס
3p non-human singular: Its אְתס
3p Plural: Zaer זער

Lexicon:
The Dzooish lexicon, in addition to an English core, has many loan words and loan morphemes from Hebrew and Yiddish (as contact was kept with continental Jews).
The Core prefers Anglo-Saxon and Norman words over later borrowings, especially avoiding loans directly from Latin or Greek.
Plurals in Hebrew and Yiddish Loan words are most often the same as the source language. "Leashohn" - "Language" "Leashohnohs" - "Languages". In a lot of texts loan words are spelled according to Dzuish orthography.

Often, loan words take English derivational affixes. An example is Khootspaful חוּצפּאפֻל "Brazen" from "Khootspa" "Brazenness, Gall". Interestingly, the Yiddish equivalent "Khootspadik חוּצפּאדְק" has been borrowed to mean "Outrageous".

The Hebrew 1p plural possessive suffix is attached to English words to mean "Relating to Jews":
Hamaenoo האמענוּ means "Ghetto" from archaic English "Ham" "Village". Templaenoo תֵמפּלענוּ "Synagogue". The 3p plural possessive suffix is attached to English words to mean "Relating to Gentiles":
Templaem תֵמפּלעם meaning "Church".

An example of Dzooish:
תוֹ בִ וּר נָת תוֹ בִ, זאת אְז זְ שׁאילא. פֵזֵר אְת אְז מוּר קאבוֹדאבְל אְן זְ מִנד תוֹ סְפֵר זְ רָקס אנד ארוֹס אָב חוּצפּאדְק מאזאל, וּר..... בִּ סתרֻגלְנג, אֵנד זֵם

Toh bee oor not toh bee, zat iz zee shaila. Fezer it iz moor kavohdabil in zee meend toh sifer zee roks and arohs ov khootspadik mazal, oor ......bee strugling, end zem?

"To be, or not to be, that is the question,
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or ....... by opposing, end them"

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Dzuish/דזוּאֽשׁ/Judeo-English

Post by Chengjiang »

Any particular reason for the development of [tʃ dʒ] to [ts dz] while [ʃ] is retained? Hebrew influence doesn't seem especially likely, since at the time Yiddish, Ladino, and presumably Dzuish developed Hebrew was dead as a language of everyday discourse; the pronunciation of Hebrew as a liturgical language was influenced by Jews' pronunciation of their primary languages, not the other way around. (Hence the absence of [θ ð ɣ] in standard modern Hebrew despite their presence in Biblical Hebrew alongside other lenition products that were retained; most European languages don't have these sounds and hence they were absent from liturgical Hebrew in the Ashkenazic and Sephardic communities that were the primary influences on the creation of modern spoken Hebrew.)

I'm curious about the vowels. From the examples given, it would appear that parts of the Great Vowel Shift happened (e.g. [eː] > [iː]) but not others (e.g. [iː] > [ai]). I'd be interested in hearing more about the sound changes in this language's history. Also, speaking of vowels, is the language normally written with or without niqqud? And why the use of ayin for [e]?
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

stinja
Niš
Niš

Post by stinja »

Chengjiang wrote:I'm curious about the vowels. From the examples given, it would appear that parts of the Great Vowel Shift happened (e.g. [eː] > [iː]) but not others (e.g. [iː] > [ai]). I'd be interested in hearing more about the sound changes in this language's history. Also, speaking of vowels, is the language normally written with or without niqqud? And why the use of ayin for [e]?
Re: orthography, the use of <ע> for [e] is consistent with Yiddish orthography, and (I think) Ladino. However, the Dzuish orthography appears to rely much more heavily on Niqqud than Yiddish does. For example, Yiddish uses <ו> only for , spelling [o] with <אֶ>, while Dzuish uses <ו> for both.

I did a little playing around with a Hebrew orthography for Modern English vowels earlier this year, taking some cues from Yiddish, although I left it pretty half-finished. You can find it here: http://stinja.com/language/oysyes/index.html

I'm a little curious about the changes in history myself. AFAIK, the first Jews to settle in England were in 1070, and were likely Middle High German speakers (Yiddish and Modern German's point of departure) although I could be wrong about their language. If that is actually how it went down, 'Dzuish' would probably be more like a surviving Western Yiddish dialect than an English variant.
[url]http://www.stinja.com[/url]

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

stinja wrote:Re: orthography, the use of <ע> for [e] is consistent with Yiddish orthography, and (I think) Ladino.
I see that you are correct, having checked. (At least WRT Yiddish. Haven't checked Ladino.) Thanks.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.