[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - 24-hour speedlanging challenge

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The premise behind this is simple: I start off by posting a phonemic inventory, notes on syllable structure, and a couple of short grammatical notes. Then, somebody takes up the challenge and turns this, within 24 hours, into a language with at least 50 words, a somewhat fleshed-out grammar, and a couple of sample sentences. Then they post a similar description of a different language, and we keep going.

Here's the first one, with a minimalist, Polynesian-like phonology:

Consonants: /p t ʔ m n ɸ h ɾ/
Vowels: /i e ɛ a u o ɔ/. No length or tone distinction. Stress is up to you.

Syllable structure is (C)V(h): tiʻo, ʻênaʻeh. /hh/ and /hʔ/ are realized as [h].

Grammatically, it should have a small number of inflections, a simple pronoun system, and split-ergativity. Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Oh, come on...nobody wants to do this? You could knock it out pretty easily.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I don't have enough time in a 24 hour period to devote to it :( Maybe sometime though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Dhokarena, my man, I might give it a shot, but might violate that "simple inflections" rule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

The way to do these is to give a reasonable-sized TC (a substantial paragraph) and about 3-4 hours; you've placed too many restrictions for it to be of interest to me, and you can produce quite a lot more in 24 hours.

Not that I really have 3 consecutive hours to spare at the moment, anyway, what with working until 7-9pm most days, even if I do usually start at around 12-1pm to make up for it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I had intended to do it, but have been otherwise occupied with school-type things.
I have an chunk of free time starting in about 3 hours, so perhaps I'll take a look then.

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'll bite. Notes on this shall be forthcoming.

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:15 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I may be next.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Okay, I gave it a go, check .

I put most of it in this html page. But this is long and tedious so there are tidbits missing, like the fact that the alignment becomes ergabs when the sentence in the past tense, put it shows in the examples.

I haven't fulfilled most conditions (word number, strict phonology, time alloted) but I liked the exercice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

So what's the next challenge, then?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:17 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I figured I'd let someone else who adhered more to the rules give the next challenge.

Take as many hours as you want between 1 and 5 (or whatever; the idea is to do it in one try), sit down and get working on a dialogue. Content and size up to you.
Constraints: between 3-5 vowels without suprasegmental features

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:19 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Last edited by Pole, the on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I'd do it if the constraints were more interesting; as it is, I have several conlangs that qualif--wait, no, no I don't, the only one I have that doesn't have either tone, a register system, or a stress accent is Kannow, which has six vowels. (Let's see... all Kett langs have tone besides Insular, which has stress; Proto-Hathic has a register system; Hathic langs all have contrastive nasality except Hathic, which has pharyngealization; Hoanu sort of has stress; and everything else I haven't started work on. Welp.)

But still, more interesting constraints.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada
I also prepared a conlang for dhokarena's challenge. I wanted it to have a little more stuff, but I guess that now that two conlangs have been posted already I'll post what I have:

This is the first conlang I've worked on that I've ever put on the internet, by the way.

And yeah, the new challenge definitely needs more interesting constraints (or just more constraints), see the original challenge by dhokarena. A 5-vowel /a e i o u/ system with no prosodic features is just... nowhere near enough.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

It's spelled definite and it's not a proper noun... And no I didn't, my conlang was for dhokarena56's post ("I also prepared a conlang for dhokarena's challenge..."), not Opera's. You do the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

fneh. i suppose it would be asking too much to say there should be constraints that i don't already have a phonology for?

oh well, i might take this opportunity to start on the grammar of ketas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Maybe it should just be a race- the first to present a sketch of the outlined language outlines the next one...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I might revamp this sometime over the summer, seems like it was a fun idea.