How are these unvoiced consonants pronounced?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Turama
Niš
Niš

How are these unvoiced consonants pronounced?

Post by Turama »

How do you pronounce a voiceless /n/([n̊]). Because of analogy, I would think it is pronounced like the unvoiced /w/, just adding /h/, so it sounds like /hw/([ʍ]). So is an [n̊] pronounced something similar like /hn/?
The second question is. Does [ɡ̊] (this diacritic means unvoicing) differ in any aspect from [k]? Is it kind of voiced but a little unvoiced? And if not, why are these kind of phonemes in use, at all (for example in german dialects) and not just the [k]?
I am not native to english, so there could be some errors in my grammar, spelling or the choice of words.

Kilanie
Sanci
Sanci

Re: How are these unvoiced consonants pronounced?

Post by Kilanie »

[ɡ̊] is typically the same as [k]. It's used sometimes to indicate that the underlying phoneme is /g/. I think it may be used in some languages to indicate a third level of voicing, but I can't think of any examples right now.

[n̊] can be approximated by [hn], yes. However, [n̊] and [hn] are not the same thing (and neither are [ʍ] and [hw]).
After ordering a pint of his favorite ale, Robert was perplexed when the barmaid replied that the fishmonger was next door. The Great English Vowel Shift had begun.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Arhama wrote:How do you pronounce a voiceless /n/([n̊]). Because of analogy, I would think it is pronounced like the unvoiced /w/, just adding /h/, so it sounds like /hw/([ʍ]). So is an [n̊] pronounced something similar like /hn/?
Yes. You basically put your tongue in the position for [n] and then blow air out through your nose.
Arhama wrote:The second question is. Does [ɡ̊] (this diacritic means unvoicing) differ in any aspect from [k]? Is it kind of voiced but a little unvoiced? And if not, why are these kind of phonemes in use, at all (for example in german dialects) and not just the [k]?
In describing German dialects, the distinction between [k] and [ɡ̊] is a fortis/lenis distinction, with [k] representing a fortis consonant and [ɡ̊] being lenis.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Arhama wrote:How do you pronounce a voiceless /n/([n̊]).
Exactly as you pronounce it while whispering.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Whispering is not the same as voicelessness, physiologically, although they sound similar. Voiceless nasals indeed sound just like you're breathing out through your nose – and I at least don't do this when whispering a regular nasal.

If you don't believe me, just try pronouncing 'vision' and 'fission' while whispering – they sound different because the normally voiced sounds are replaced by whispered sounds, but the normally voiceless sounds stay the same, in the larynx or glottis or whatever it's called. Voiceless is a wide open glottal state and whispering is a half-constricted state.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Voiceless nasals are usually only pronounced partially voiceless, but I think languages vary in where the voicelessness goes.

Angami has actually-aspirated nasals, with positive VOT, but what I wonder is if the first part of the nasal gets voiced, as apparently happens in some TB lang I was reading about the other day where, say, /na/ would be [nn̥a].
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

This page (which is bizarrely frustrating to search for on Google) has audio examples of Hmong nasals, including voiceless nasals. If you navigate around you can find all of the phonemes in the language spoken by a couple of different speakers, which also include a number of tricky sounds like uvulars, prenasalized stops, and breathy voiced vowels.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Say "hmm". That's a voiceless m followed by a voiced one. Practice until you can say it without the trailing voiced m. When you master that, repeat for other nasals.
vec