Awkwords

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Šọ̈́gala
Lebom
Lebom

Awkwords

Post by Šọ̈́gala »

By the way, does anybody have any inside info on what's going on with Awkwords? As long as I've known about it, it's said that it's moving to a new site, but the new site has never been active. The old site:

http://bprhad.wz.cz/awkwords/

was down for a long time (as far as I'm aware), but it seems to be back up now. Awkwords is my personal favorite random word generator (although certainly gen has its charms) but I'm uncomfortable getting used to using it because I don't know if it'll stay up. I kind of feel like I'm better off getting used to gen instead.

Haplogy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Awkwords

Post by Haplogy »

It's been right there for years; I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.
Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil!

paman
Sanci
Sanci

Post by paman »

The new site DID came, and it contained a newer version of Awkwords (1.2) that had better support for Unicode. Then the new site went down and has remained down. The old site has not been down as far as I have noticed, unless it was a short time at the same time the new site was up.

I just wrote an e-mail to Petr Mejzlík and asked about it.

Personally I use a spreadsheet with one column containing "=rand()", and another column containing all possible syllables in my conlang, then I just have to sort the "=rand()" column to get syllables at random for new words.

paman
Sanci
Sanci

Post by paman »

I haven't received any answer to my e-mail. I used the address found on Awkwords' help page, it is possible that it is wrong.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I wonder if anyone can recreate the newer version of Awkwords in some new, safe place in case Petr Mejzlík can't be reached.
vec

paman
Sanci
Sanci

Post by paman »

Quantum
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Quantum »

Isn't this 1.2?
"To those who seek the solace of eternity, may journey down the river through the sacred Gates of Iss and find everlasting peace in the bosom of Issus"

paman
Sanci
Sanci

Post by paman »

No, that's a version that predates 1.0. But it still handles Unicode. Maybe it broke in version 1.0.

YourFace
Lebom
Lebom

Post by YourFace »

How do you use it? The only HTML document in the file is the help page.
I'm sorry about necroposting, I just can't figure it out.
yee

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

You have to upload it to some kind of webserver that can process PHP. I did that a while ago already though: http://akana.conlang.org/tools/awkwords/