The Flag of Vrkhazh

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

The Flag of Vrkhazh

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

With some help by people, I now have a flag for the nation of Vrkhazh.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/D ... ad8c11.png

I cannot explain the symbolism at this moment in time.
But, the red circle and the red star are supposed to symbolize an eye, while the bladed object is supposed to be a nail driven into it. It is supposed to represent suffering of the people overall, while the sunrays symbolize a new dawn brought about after all the suffering endured. Something like "no pain, no gain"?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

ivazaéun
Sanci
Sanci

Re: The Flag of Vrkhazh

Post by ivazaéun »

May I recommend the North American Vexillological Association's guide to designing a good flag?

http://www.nava.org/flag-design/good-fl ... lag-design

If you want one rule from it to stick to, it's that a good flag "should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory". To me, your flag is rather busy. A lot of that detail in the middle third would be difficult to make out when it's flying from a flagpole, which somewhat defeats the point of having it on the flag in the first place.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Of course, there are plenty of real world flags that don't follow all of those principles. Especially 4.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

ivazaéun
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ivazaéun »

Matrix wrote:Of course, there are plenty of real world flags that don't follow all of those principles. Especially 4.
Obviously. There wouldn't be any need to write the guide if all flags already followed them...

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

That link is no help to me, I'm not the one who drew these. I forgot to update with a new flag, made by XXXVII/Thirty7: Image
Last edited by احمکي ارش-ھجن on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

And here is an even newer version!

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

These are unusual, but certainly striking. I like them.

I shouldn't worry about those "five principles". Like Matrix says, lots of real flags don't follow them - indeed I suspect most flags violate at least one. That's not to say that they're don't constitute sensible advice, but a concountry where everything is perfectly sensible would not be very realistic.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

That is good, it means the flag has succeeded in being unique.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Honestly, the current version of the flag *bends* the "rules" set out on the linked website, but doesn't really break any of them as far as I can tell. More importantly, it looks nice and I think it would be pretty recognizable from a distance. I definitely prefer the version with the blue field; the black one seemed kind of... I dunno... oversaturated. About my only criticism is that the blue is a little drab or faded-looking, but I know that specific shades of a color can have specific meanings in a culture, so it's probably fine.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

CatDoom wrote:Honestly, the current version of the flag *bends* the "rules" set out on the linked website, but doesn't really break any of them as far as I can tell. More importantly, it looks nice and I think it would be pretty recognizable from a distance. I definitely prefer the version with the blue field; the black one seemed kind of... I dunno... oversaturated. About my only criticism is that the blue is a little drab or faded-looking, but I know that specific shades of a color can have specific meanings in a culture, so it's probably fine.
Well, I have to correct you a bit, but, it's not blue; it's turquoise, albeit a darker shade.
If Whorf's Hypothesis were true, the Vrkhazhi's distinction between green, turquoise and blue would be akin to the Russian's distinction between blue and light blue.