[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Proto-Wideriver Scratchpad/Lexical Participation Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My conlangs on this site:

Last edited by StrangerCoug on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:45 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I am not knowledgeable enough to help with this, but I am very much interested in seeing examples of this in motion. As in some charts of Proto-Wideriver and the various branches and then to some of the different daughter languages once you have things worked out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I myself am interested in how the borrowing and language contact works out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Took a cue from German and added wukʰtʰaj – canoe.

I need a word for otter and I don't see any obvious way to derive it from what I have. (satpakʰkaʔa is already taken to mean fish.) Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Otter generally derives from the word for water (Germanic, Slavic), often compounded with dog (Celtic, Malay) or local similar animals (sable in Persian (and Turkish and Albanian, probably calqued as "sable" was loaned from Persian to Turkish to Albanian), fox for Arabic).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:18 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

wapʰpakʰkaʔa it is for otter, then, since I have a word for dog. (I have a word for fox, but that's a compound already and I didn't want too long of a word.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

OK, guys, I've reorganized the lists in the Google spreadsheet. There are now two depending on the translation direction, a setup I feel I'm going to need soon.

A few words related to life and death (including words for life and death themselves) have been added to the list because they were missing and I felt they could be derived in obvious ways, and a word relating to work has been added as well. Some more words in other categories are upcoming as well; most likely some more pairs of opposites.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Looks like I could have some fun with this :-D

From Elamite: /kusa/=To hammer, forge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Will add on the next update (despite being a new root); Google Drive is being a jerk right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:42 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sixteen words added (one of them from Jūnzǐ's suggestion, two more derived from that, and thirteen of my own).

Edited to add: Added a seventeenth; I want to avoid using the same form for intransitive and transitive and I typically use the causative marker to convert the former to the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

One more word has been added; the meaning of another has been changed slightly for consistency.

I want to leave the wordlist alone for now and work on the grammar. It's VSO, it branches right, adpositional phrases are time-manner-place, and it uses postpositions rather than prepositions. What else, though? Is it realistic to have a consensus on only that much for a protolang that pretty much fractures to pieces? What aspects are more realistic to decide for my written daughterlangs first?

The first thing I want to figure out is how to make an irrealis mood (from the existing stock, if possible) and where to stick it in the verb paradigm (currently base + perfect marker + pronoun maximally). If I can develop multiple for specific purposes so it doesn't have just one irrealis mood, I'd like to.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Are you still working on Wideriver?

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:13 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

This isn't an active project, no.