Hoemstrungë

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
youkai01
Sanci
Sanci

Hoemstrungë

Post by youkai01 »

yo, that's my first post here

so, I've been thinking on creating a conlang for a while but due to excessive amount of school tests throughout the whole trimester I wasn't really able to pay too much attention to it. but I have created some basic phonology and some plans on how I'll structure its grammar (though I still have a lot to learn on that).

I've developed a proto-like lang (Feorsmass) before Hoemstrungë and another middle one (Old Hoemstrungë). but the names are probably only temporary. phonemes separated by bars come both from an original one (like a -> a / ɑ) and their spelling (only Hoemstrungë's will be represented for now) is on the respective bar position (like a / ɑ -> a / ä).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the umlaut diacritic to represent sound changes of any kind; I want to explain the shifts when I have time (introducing ablauts or assimilation, for example). Two-letter units are falling diphthongs and I'm thinking about monothongizing three ortographic vowels in sequence (either a diphthong + vowel by consonantal loss or maybe even a triphthong).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stops have phonemical labialization represented by their voiced ortographic version (so doos /tʷɑ:s/ but toos /tɑ:s/). I'm trying to make this etymological (as in "Feorsmass' voiced stops developed into labialized ones in Hoemstrungë" but I don't know if that's possible), but in the worst case scenario it'll be just an stylistic matter. as you can see I haven't made up the consonants' development over the langs.

I promise to learn how to make graphs here or something of the kind.

- Phrase structure is mainly OSV but it's not restricted since syntax (subject, object, adjective, etc) is determined by declension or postpositions.

Any suggestion about the lang would be highly appreciated!

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Hoemstrungë

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

youkai01 wrote:I'm trying to make this etymological (as in "Feorsmass' voiced stops developed into labialized ones in Hoemstrungë" but I don't know if that's possible)
I'm afraid this would be an unlikely sound change. In general secondary articulations (such as labialisation) tend to behave like places rather than as manners of articulation. So it'd be more likely if a language had a phonemic labialisation distinction on (say) only its velars rather than only on its stops.

salem
Sanci
Sanci

Post by salem »

Maybe d :>:>:>:> tw :> tʷ? Generalized to all voiced stops, obviously.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Possible, depending on the time span between Feorsmass and Hoemstrungë.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I have seen weirder things proposed in serious relationship proposals, such as voicing > retroflexion (for dentals only) in Bomhard's Nostratic.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A