Esperntaĉ - Esperanto descendants scratchpad

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Esperntaĉ - Esperanto descendants scratchpad

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

It was surely a cruel joke by some advanced alien race, or a terrible coincidence of a space-time rift. One day, several thousand people - all the world's native speakers of Esperanto, and many of the world's most proficient L2 Esperantists - awoke to find themselves in a seemingly uninhabited world, which was at once both quite familiar and deeply foreign. I can only say that they survived, and in fact managed to thrive on this world, establishing a new society.

This situation was a revolution for Esperanto, which had never undergone anything like this in its approximately 130-year history. As the years wore on and the language saw constant, daily use, corners were cut and already-existent colloquialisms became entrenched. Much to the displeasure of the first generation (la unuavenantoj, the firstcomers) their children and grandchildren (la alvenidoj, the children of the arrival) picked up these habits and made them a regular part of their speech. It turns out that when trying to survive in a new world, adherence to the rules of the Akademio and the Fundamento takes a back seat. The unuavenantoj derisively called this "degraded" Esperanto - which they themselves had created - by the appellation Esperantaĉo, a term that was eventually taken up with pride by the alvenidoj.

So, I've had this amusing little idea for a while, and it could end up being quite a fun endeavor. Essentially, starting from a plausible collection of phonological and grammatical changes that will form a sort of "Vulgar Esperanto", I want to try my hand at deriving a language family from Esperanto. I gladly welcome any input and ideas anyone has to offer.

I am basing "Vulgar Esperanto" on a series of changes that are already present in modern-day Esperanto, as well a few other changes that I find to be particularly plausible.

Vulgara Esperanto (Vulgar Esperanto) or Esperantaĉo (Wretched Esperanto)

* The phoneme <ĥ> /x/ merges into /h/.
* The word-initial clusters /kv/ and /gv/ develop into <kŭ> /ku̯/ and <gŭ> /gu̯/.
* The sequence /dz/ is reanalyzed as a new phoneme /d͡z/, which I will represent as <ẑ>.
* The clusters <tĉ>, <tc>, <dĝ>, and <dẑ> are reduced to <ĉ>, <c>, <ĝ>, and <ẑ>, respectively.
* The word-initial cluster /kn/ drops the /k/, leaving /n/.
* The verb esti "to be" drops the /es/ in all of its forms but the infinitive and volitive, forming Esperanto's first irregular verb. (esti, tas, tis, tos, estu, tus)
* The copula-predicate adjective construction falls out of use and is replaced by stative verbs. This also affects verbal participles, which essentially become new compound verb forms.
* The tendency towards using -e adverbs as a sort of ablative case becomes entrenched.
* The singular nominal -o is dropped.
* The vowel before the primary stressed vowel is deleted in the following situations:

V→∅/V([srl])C_CV
V→∅/VC_C([rl])V
V→∅/C_([rl])V

Keep in mind that in Esperanto, primary stress always falls upon the penultimate syllable. In Vulgar Esperanto, this is changed only by the elision of -o.

So nothing happens to the accusative quite yet, and nothing has happened to the plurals.

Some comparisons of Esperanto (E) and Vulgar Esperanto (VE):
E: Esperanto
VE: Esprant

E: Esperantaĉo
VE: Esperntaĉ

E: Unuavenantoj, unuavenanto
VE: Unuavnantoj, unuavnant

E: Alvenidoj, alvenido
VE: Alvnidoj, alvnid

E: La virino estas serĉanta la edzon. (The woman is seeking the husband.)
VE: La vrin serĉantas la eẑon.

E: La knabo estos ŝia amiko. (The boy will be her friend.)
VE: La nab tos ŝia amik.

E: Li estis kvietigata. (He was calmed/made calm.)
VE: Li kŭietgatis.
Any thoughts on all of this?

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Esperntaĉ - Esperanto descendants scratchpad

Post by GreenBowTie »

a good first step imo, curious to see the next stages

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

(lightbulb) You might find this useful:

http://blogicarian.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... liary.html
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Are we gonna get any more of this? It was looking really good.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

KathAveara wrote:Are we gonna get any more of this? It was looking really good.
Uh, heh, maybe. The semester's started and I'm gonna be really busy. But, uh, here, I'll provide a little bit more of something - some speculation on what some of the future, more divergent dialects of Esperntaĉ might look like; I'll call it Early Oriento, spoken c. 200 years after the Arrival by a band of Alvenidoj who set out towards, of course, the east, as the population of the initial area of settlement grew:

Changes from Vulgar Esperanto/Esperntaĉ:

-Adverbs formed with -e are fully reanalyzed as a general-purpose ablative case, with non-nominal uses gaining the -aŭ suffix of the adverbial pseudo-word-class already present in Esperanto.
-Falling diphthongs are monophthongized, with /e/ becoming part of a chain shift to /ɛ/
/aj/ → /æ/ <Ä ä>
/ej/ → /e/ <Ė ė > → /ɛ/ <E e>
/oj/ → /ø/ <Ö ö>
/uj/ → /y/ <Ü ü>
/au̯/ → /ɔ/ <Ọ ọ>
/eu̯/ → /ø/ <Ö ö>
-Stressed /i/ and /u/ in the position C_V become /j/ and /u̯/, with stress shifting to the following vowel

Esperanto:

En multaj lokoj de Ĉinio estis temploj de drako-reĝo. Dum trosekeco oni preĝis en la temploj, ke la drako-reĝo donu pluvon al la homa mondo. Tiam drako estis simbolo de la supernatura estaĵo. Kaj pli poste, ĝi fariĝis prapatro de la plej altaj regantoj kaj simbolis la absolutan aŭtoritaton de feŭda imperiestro. La imperiestro pretendis, ke li estas filo de la drako. Ĉiuj liaj vivbezonaĵoj portis la nomon drako kaj estis ornamitaj per diversaj drakofiguroj. Nun ĉie en Ĉinio videblas drako-ornamentaĵoj kaj cirkulas legendoj pri drakoj.

Esperntaĉ:

En multaj lokoj de Ĉini tis temploj de drakreĝ. Dum troskec oni preĝis en la temploj, ke la drakreĝ donu pluvon al la homa mond. Tiam drak tis simbol de la superntura estaĵ. Kaj pli poste, ĝi friĝis prapatr de la plej altaj regantoj kaj simbolis la abslutan aŭtortaton de feŭda imperestr. La imperestr pretendis, ke li tas fil de la drak. Ĉiuj liaj vivbeznaĵoj portis la nomon drak kaj tis ornmitaj per diversaj drakofguroj. Nun ĉie en Ĉini videblas drakoornmentaĵoj kaj cirkulas legendoj pri drakoj.

Early Oriento:

En multä lokö de Ĉini tis templö de drakreĝ. Dum troskec oni preĝis en la templö, ke la drakreĝ donu pluvon al la homa mond. Tjam drak tis simbol de la superntura estaĵ. Kä pli postọ, ĝi friĝis prapatr de la plọ altä regantö kä simbolis la abslutan ọtortaton de föda imperestr. La imperestr pretendis, ke li tas fil de la drak. Ĉjü ljä vivbeznaĵö portis la nomon drak kä tis ornmitä per diversä drakofgurö. Nun ĉje en Ĉini videblas drakoornmentaĵö kä cirkulas legendö pri drakö.

I did this kind of quickly, I may have accidentally missed out on some sound changes.