Turning English into Chinese

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Clearsand
Sanci
Sanci

Turning English into Chinese

Post by Clearsand »

For fun I made a list of sound changes that could turn English phonology into Mandarin Chinese's. I used my dialect (Pretty close to GA) for the starting language. The final result is supposed to be close to Standard Chinese. I know that I made quite a few mistakes so corrections, criticism, and comments are welcome

Here is the list of sound changes for SCA2 I came up with:
More: show
V=aæəeɛɪiɔoʊuyɤœ
C=mnŋpbtdkgʰfvθðsʂʐɕzʃʒxlhɹɻjɥw
U=ptk
O=bdg
S=ptkbdg
X=ptkfθsʂɕʃx
Y=bdgvðzʐʒ
F=fvθðsʂʐɕzʃʒx
N=mnŋ
Q=pmf
Z=tnx
θ/t/#_
ð/d/#_
ð/d/V_V
θ/f/_#
ð/v/_#
ɹ/:/V_C
ɹ/:/V_#
l/:/V_C
l/:/V_#
://_V
ə//_V
t//n_
d//n_
tɹ/tʂʰ/#_
tɹ/tʂ/_
dɹ/dʐ/_
ʃɹ/ʂ/_
ɹ/ɻ/_
ɔ/a/_
æ/jɛ/_
ɪ/i/_
ii/i:/_
ju/y/_
wi/y/_
y/ɥ/_V
m/n/V(:)_
v/f/#_
t//s_
s/ts/V_V
z/dz/V_V
h/x/_
ɛ/e/i_
ɛ/ei/_
a/ɛ/i_n
i/ɛ/ɥ_n
i/œ/ɥ_
SF/SəF/_#
X/X5/V(:)(N)_#
Y/Y1/V(:)(N)_#
z/s/_
ʒ/ʃ/_
ʐ/ʂ/_
v/f/_
U/Uʰ/_/_#
O/U/_
F/Fʰ/tʰ_
ʰ//t_F
ʰ//ts_#
ʰʰ/ʰ/_
X//V(:)(N)_(C)(ʰ)[15]
ʰ//V(:)(N)_
[pbtdkgʰfvθðsʂʐɕzʃʒxlhɹɻjɥw]//_#
N/N3/_/_[51V]
V/V3/_/_[NV:51]
V:/V:3/_/_[NV51]
:1/214/_
:5/51/_
:3/35/_
1/3/V(:)(N)_
:N1/N214/_
:N5/N51/_
3/35/:N_
://_
3/35/s(C)(C)(V)(V)(N)_
3/51/_C
N3/N5/_
55/5/_
[ɻl]/w/C_
C//_N
[pbdkgʰfvθðsʂɕzʃʒxlh]//_[pbtdkgfvsʂɕzʃʒxl]
[pbdkgʰfvθðsʂɕzʃʒxlh]//_[pbtdkgfvsʂɕzʃʒxlh]
e//ei_
jei/jɛ/_
V/ɛ/[ji]_n#
ʊ/ɤ/C_
s/ɕ/_[iy]
ʃ/ɕ/_[iy]
ʂ/ɕ/_[iy]
ʃ/ʂ/_
[əi]/ʐ/[ʂɻs](ʰ)_
s//_C
V/a/w_ŋ
ə/a/[lt]_
poʊ/puɔ/_/_n
a/o/f_ʊ
a/e/f_i
ə/a/_/_N
k/t/_(ʰ)i
x//_[ij]
u/oʊ/i_
Q/Z/_(ʰ)[wu]
i/ai/w_
ʐ/ɻə/_n
ɻ/tʂ/_ai
tʂʰ/tʂ/_ei
ɻ/tʂ/_ei
tsʰ/ts/_ei
[ji]ɛ/ei/w_
a/wa/#_
Sample Texts:
(Texts assume no change of grammar and apply sound changes to affixes along with words)

Beginning of Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Wá younēn bīng wá bān huái yān yíkuá yīn dìnìtí yān zhàita. dei wá einao yū rírēn yān kànshēn yān she ye tádā wēn enàdá yīn ei pírī wa duàdáhe.
/wa35.ioʊ.nən5.piŋ5.wa35.pan5.xwai35.jɛn5.i35.kʰua35.in5.ti51.ni51.tʰi35.jɛn5.tʂai51.tʰa3.tei3.wa35.ei.naʊ3.y5.ɻʐ35.ɻən5.jɛn5.kʰan51.ʂən5.jɛn5.ʂɤ3.jɛ3.tʰa35.ta5.wən5.ə.na51.ta35.in5.ei3.pʰi35.ɻʐ5.wa3.twa51.ta35.xɤ3/
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Xíkā xí xí xì xī xí xíkā xǐ.
/ɕi35.kʰa5.ɕi35.ɕi35.ɕi51.ɕi5.ɕi35.ɕi35.kʰa5.ɕi214/
Six seared seals seek sick sea silk's seed.

Wai kiān séi wáwei hūn chainǐ hŭ. Wai rìlí la tiē zhī. - Shān Wāi.
/wai3.kʰjɛn5.sei35.wa51.wei3.xwən5.tʂʰai3.ni214.xu214.wai3.ɻʐ51.li35.la3.tjɛ5.tʂʐ5.ʂan5.wai5/
I can't stay away from Chinese food. I really love that stuff. - Shaun White

Wēn tú chí fá fei xíkā séifēn ēi nāyīn tēn
/wən5.tʰu35.tʂʰʐ35.fa35.fei3.ɕi35.kʰa5sei35.fən5.ei5.na5.in5.tʰən5/
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Last edited by Clearsand on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tana, Iáin voyre so Meď im soa mezinä, řo pro sudir soa mezinä, ac pro spasian soa mezinë ab ilun.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Turning English into Chinese

Post by masako »

This is mildly interesting, but I can't say that I'd bother learning any details. Also, I can't remember who, but years ago another ZBBer did something similar...without the fancy SCA2, though.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

now write it in yingzi!

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Wow thats awesome. How did you choose the tones, though? Is it the same sound changes that led to Mandarin getting its tones from Old Chinese? That would be perfect.

I really want to borrow some Chinese sound changes just purely for help coming up with ideas for my conlangs, even though I have only one tonal conlang and its daughter right now. br > dw, for example, is great and I want to use that somewhere evne if it's not in the tonal conlang.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Clearsand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Clearsand »

masako wrote:This is mildly interesting, but I can't say that I'd bother learning any details.
Clearsand wrote:I know that I made quite a few mistakes so corrections, criticism, and comments are welcome
Criticism, Check :-D
masako wrote:Also, I can't remember who, but years ago another ZBBer did something similar
Really? I'd be interested to see the sound changes they came up with.
GreenBowTie wrote:now write it in yingzi!
:mrgreen: I would if zompist had a full set of yingzi characters. I could make my own though...
Publipis wrote:Wow thats awesome. How did you choose the tones, though? Is it the same sound changes that led to Mandarin getting its tones from Old Chinese? That would be perfect.

I really want to borrow some Chinese sound changes just purely for help coming up with ideas for my conlangs, even though I have only one tonal conlang and its daughter right now. br > dw, for example, is great and I want to use that somewhere evne if it's not in the tonal conlang.
I really wasn't able to find much about Chinese sound changes, so I made up most of them up on my own. It probably would have helped though.
The tones didn't form exactly like Chinese tones. As far as I can tell, Middle Chinese tones came from Old Chinese final consonants. The four modern Mandarin Chinese tones came from a modulation of four Middle Chinese tones with the initial consonant. For Yingkuai, on the other hand, I first assigned a high tone to the final syllable of a word ending in a voiceless consonant, a low tone to the final syllable of a word ending in a voiced consonant, and a middle tone elsewhere. They then changed to different tones depending on whether the vowel was long or short and changed a middle tone to a rising tone in a syllable starting with /s/.
Tana, Iáin voyre so Meď im soa mezinä, řo pro sudir soa mezinä, ac pro spasian soa mezinë ab ilun.

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

Nice! A before/after audio sample would be amazing.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

masako: that was me, I lost all my notes for it tho. if I were to do it again I'd get Middle Chinese and then just apply the diachronics from there to Mandarin
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Clearsand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Clearsand »

Sevly wrote:Nice! A before/after audio sample would be amazing.
I'm not quite sure how to do that, but I'll see what I can do.
Nortaneous wrote:masako: that was me, I lost all my notes for it tho. if I were to do it again I'd get Middle Chinese and then just apply the diachronics from there to Mandarin
Cool! That should have been my plan.