How many words does your conlang have?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
YourFace
Lebom
Lebom

How many words does your conlang have?

Post by YourFace »

My main conlang, Tsëmi, has about 1400. How many words are there in yours?
yee

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: How many words does your conlang have?

Post by Hallow XIII »

eleven
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

My Õtari language has 810 words and there's a few more "pending" words as well.

The mean number of words per language amongst the languages submitted to CALSis 1130.

http://cals.conlang.org/statistics/vocabularies/

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Though, oddly, they exclude languages with more than 10000 words, so my main project (Poswa) isnt even included. Though it is just barely over 10000 (10470 when I listed it) so it wouldnt have mattered too terribly much. Currently my Excel spreadsheet has 11426 entries for Poswa, but a lot of those are just duplicates, girl's names, and som,e even empty.

e.g. šafa means both "the force of good" and "up, upward, top", and are historically the same word, but i made two seaprate entries to make it easier to search and so i could potentially at the future make a reverse disctionary with that in both places.

On the other hand, the dictionary excludes loans, the number system, and family wrods, because i prefer to use a table for those with all my languages listed at once, so it about evens out and Id say i probably have about 11000 "words" now.

Pabappa is muy 2nd largest, the dictionary page has 9525 entries, subject to the same cautions to an even greater extent. There are a lot of empty entries, which Im sure will exist in Pabappa, but I like to do sound changes manually instead of using a prohram so I havent figured them out yet. And lkots of sysnonyms, e.g. 18 words for lollipop, with no difference in meaning, jsut 18 words for lollipop. THis is how I prefer to make new words ... make a bunch of possible entries and thin them out over time. And Pabappa is a much more loan-happy language than Poswa, and in fact the speakers living in the city of Paba itself are known for borrowing essentially any Poswa word into Pabappa and using it as native, so Pabappa easily defeats the claimed figure of 9525 if loanwords are allowed in.

I have a lot of other conlangs, but all have <1000 words except for Dîlṡ, but that is mainly a holding place for words to derive other languages from, not much of a unified languaghe itselfg.

edit: to clarify what i mean, in Dîlṡ it is common for me to have ten entries for the same word to show how it evolved differently in different lanuages, and it ios not eonvenient to cram it all on one line, even if all the words go to the same protoform, whiuch the often do not (e.g. Mooshins adding an "ṁ" to some body parts and an "í" to others)
Last edited by Pabappa on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Ercunic is currently ~1600 words.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

AndrewTheConlanger
Niš
Niš

Post by AndrewTheConlanger »

Ausulune's got just about 1,400, as well!

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

I have several conlangs with more than 1,000 words:

Lonmai Luna(a priori): more than 2,000 words(2,300+)

Urban Basanawa(a posteriori, west-Germanic, ingvaeonic): more than 2,000 words(2,200+)

Nevotak and Old Nevotak(a priori): more than 1,000 words but less than 2,000 words(1,100+)

Koulesch(a posteriori, west-Germanic, high german condialect): more than 1,000 words but less than 2,000 words(1,000+)
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

The Count
Sanci
Sanci

Post by The Count »

Xhaimeran has about 16000+ words. I'm currently in the process of transferring my card-file system to a digital database, which will give me a more exact count.
"Khal malenol akher venkhasa!"

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

About 1500 and growing.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Rawàng Ata has maybe half a dozen words, give or take, optimistically speaking.
At any one time it has many more than that, usually a dozen or two, but as it's constantly being revised and updated and reformed, and those words may well be forgotten about or reformulated with the next revision, I can't really claim any of them as vocabulary proper.

I do have one language with about 200, 250 words, though.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

kusuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kusuri »

Worloom has less than 150 discreet concepts, and probably about 200 "words", i.e. stuff like "to" "too" and "toho" all meaning "to display".

Malo has about 150 as well.

Lapu/ALP had almost a thousand words when I dropped it.

Nvomi is at 400 something, I think.

Anse/Tiikk-Gaahaak da has about 50.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

For No. 1, I currently have 161 entries in my database; for No. 4 I have 15, although there are probably a lot more; most words aren’t in there yet because I can derive them easily from No. 1.
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

None. I am still fleshing out the grammar of my only conlang. I have made up some 'test words' which are completely random and will be changed in the future.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

dyolf wrote:I have made up some 'test words' which are completely random
I have some of that sort, too, in one tab of my own SCA (did I mention I wrote my own SCA that uses the same rule format as Zompist’s? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43876)—a list of random words that I use for looking at sound changes. Every time I want a word for a specific meaning, I usually pick one of those.
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

For my main project at the moment, they range from Silk Weaver and the Maritime languages at the low end (Silk Weaver has fewer than 10; the Maritime languages between 40 and 70) to the Qeymetic languages at the other (~350 each, with Tnaqite having the largest and Lashqumite the smallest). The Northern languages are in between at ~100 each for Harukeshite and Firishokha. Olotian (in-universe believed to be an isolate, but actually a relative of the Qeymitic languages in a stock I call Eastern) has about 200.

My largest conlang ever was the absolutely atrocious Ithiri, which had about a thousand words by the time I realized what a mess it was. :P
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

Old Gzho: 2080
Panaka: 296
Victot li Rhak: 1182
Mzta: 301
Vaida Mi ha: 907
Sntibo: 67

* Basically just counting word stems / lemmas / lexemes (i.e. ignoring inflected forms of verbs, etc.)
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here go at it and say "right, I'm going to do the colours!" and then make words for as many colours as you're likely to need or can think of, and then say "next - plants!" and do the same? Or do you prefer to just add words one at a time when the need arises?
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

I sometimes do a little bit of that when I want to divide up semantic spaceinterestingly, but mostly no.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Most of my Conlangs are a posteriori languages on the Akana wiki, meaning that I didn't independently invent the vocabularies, but rather derived them from the work of others. I was part of the group that developed the (as of yet unrevealed) Proto-Ronquian, however, so I'll focus on my contributions to that family. Probably the most complete Ronquian language I've worked on is Rrób Tè Jĕhnò, which has 1,181 words, though that number could easily be expanded a fair amount through simple derivation.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

CatDoom wrote:Most of my Conlangs are a posteriori languages on the Akana wiki, meaning that I didn't independently invent the vocabularies, but rather derived them from the work of others. I was part of the group that developed the (as of yet unrevealed) Proto-Ronquian, however, so I'll focus on my contributions to that family. Probably the most complete Ronquian language I've worked on is Rrób Tè Jĕhnò, which has 1,181 words, though that number could easily be expanded a fair amount through simple derivation.
Same for me. My most complete conlang lexicon is that of Buruya Nzaysa, which currently stands at 1350 published words. My two Ronquian languages Ronc Tyu and Ree Rɛɛ Kıbyaa have reached 1115 and 1011 words respectively, and most of my other conlangs have somewhere between 500 and 800 words - enough to be able to talk about lots of topics, but I still usually need to coin about 10-20 new words for a typical translation relay text.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

dyolf wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone here go at it and say "right, I'm going to do the colours!" and then make words for as many colours as you're likely to need or can think of, and then say "next - plants!" and do the same? Or do you prefer to just add words one at a time when the need arises?
I usually start my lexicons with primary colors, kinship terms, and the numbers 1-#, where # is the base numeral for the language. I then find words that I think will be useful until I build enough vocabulary to start working out sound changes for a daughter language, often picking a category from the Lexipedia until I feel I have enough to work with. After that, I add (or borrow) words as I need them.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Ercunic has 1492 roots, but probably around 1550 total words currently.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Ngolu has 2,216 entries at the moment. I don't know how I can feel like I can't say anything at all in it without creating new words.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

I have maybe 300 or so, but with inflections they cover the meanings of quite a few more.
dyolf wrote:does anyone here go at it and say "right, I'm going to do the colours!" and then make words for as many colours as you're likely to need or can think of, and then say "next - plants!" and do the same?
I did with colours and numbers, but usually not any large categories like that.

The majority of my words are pretty basic ones, as you'd expect, but I also have a fair few where I thought "this would be fun to have a word for in English - oh well, I'll add one to my conlang instead". Such as "without wasted effort or resources", "be prepared to act as if", and "new and inexperienced but in a good way".

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Chuma wrote:I did with colours and numbers, but usually not any large categories like that.
I'm willing to bet most people do it with numbers.
Chuma wrote:The majority of my words are pretty basic ones, as you'd expect, but I also have a fair few where I thought "this would be fun to have a word for in English - oh well, I'll add one to my conlang instead". Such as "without wasted effort or resources", "be prepared to act as if", and "new and inexperienced but in a good way".
There've been a tonne of threads about these kind of things over the years but I don't know how to search for them to find them again. I find these a fun way to add character to the culture, such as things that they can be very specific about, like dividing "kill" up into a whole lot of things such as "kill X for food", "preemptively kill X as a precautionary measure", "kill X for no other reason than that X dies".
________
MY MUSIC