Changes to Aeghilian

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Solan
Niš
Niš

Changes to Aeghilian

Post by Solan »

1. Causation not required for sentence structure (you don't need a laundry list of how what is being talked about happened or all the possible consequences of the event or information being shared.

2. No strange(?)/impossible to pronounce sounds.

3.a 500 word lexicon including 200 nouns 150 verbs and 150 adjectives (adverbs are used but they are formed by comparison to objects ( "hastily retreated" becomes "moved away ~like the wind~ ") (as a starter, eventually will develop 2500 words)

4. Aeghilian alphabet will be adapted to include a few letters that were eliminated in the previous version. I am still debating the changes but, to give an idea: a b e f g h i I m n o r s t
Keep in mind I am still in debate about this.

5. The people who speak Aeghilian will be agriculturally based villagers with xenophobic tendencies (not taken to extremes, but they adapt to new people, cultures, and ideas very slowly)

IPA....well eventually I'll use it to properly encode the sounds of the language but don't think that'll happen any time soon :-D

6. Currently using a "gate system" to generate words It'll be a while before I get this down to a final form but this method will free me up a great deal, all I do is think of what a concept 'feels"like and write a few letters/sounds down that feel like that and look to see how I can navigate between the gates to create a word using the letters chosen.
Gate creation is currently the step I am working on and although it can be frustrating as there are certain words in English I rather not make possible in this language (even if their meaning in Aeghilian would be completely unrelated), it will however, free up my creative processes.

A E G Gn H I L M N O R S Sh T V (and possibly b and f with the removal of v based on input I have received that I did not have enough stops )

7. Also a new rule that consonants withing a cvc block do not repeat. This includes the digraphs sh & gn (which are seen for both the letters within it) (so no: gnon, Gnog Shoh, Sosh, or tat, mim, or nan. (If you have any suggestions how I can validate this restriction help would be appreciated. Currently my only reason is I do not like the way it sounds, but I would like to give an in-world reason why the villages do not do this).
He may favour the Arcadia, but as for me, I prefer my Aeghilian.

MiscellaneousJax
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Changes to Aeghilian

Post by MiscellaneousJax »

My best advice here would be to learn IPA. It's one of the most useful resources available for conlanging (or learning a natlang) because it's a logical chart that contains all of the sounds that are used in language. For example, "knife" and "kniv" both look very similar (they're from English and Danish, two Germanic languages, so I'd expect a simple word such as this to be similar). However, they have different pronunciations: [naɪ̯f] vs. [knɪwˀ]. Such distinctions in pronunciation can't be made if you're going by orthography alone unless you know the language in question.

Also, the letters that compose a digraph don't have their own sound; they're combined to form the sound of the digraph. If "sh" had the value of its component letters, it would be an aspirated alveolar sibilant, [sʰ], rather than a postalveolar sibilant, [ʃ]. Why, in Rule #7, would digraphs affect what singular consonants can be used, if the digraph and the consonant produce two different sounds?

Gen is a good word generator for making a priori languages, languages with completely made up words. It doesn't do digraphs, but that's all the more reason to use IPA.

Lastly, what qualifies a sound as strange?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

MiscellaneousJax wrote:Lastly, what qualifies a sound as strange?
I think sounds only attested in a single language, like Tlingit's /χʼʷ/, can justifiably be called strange. :P That hasn't prevented me from using it in a conlang, however...
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Solan
Niš
Niš

Post by Solan »

I am constantly amazed how when I ask certain questions about developing my language most responders pick on areas I am not interested in changing or have already responded to.

1.There is an IMMENSE learning curve for IPA. I will get around to it someday but right now i am more interested in the creative side of making a language.

2. I have chosen those restrictions because I don't like the sounds that are produced without them.

3. It would be nice if people responding to my posts would use terms understandable by the average lay person so I can understand your meaning.

4. The vast majority of languages I have researched do not use alot of cvc blocks with repeating consonants, In english the only ones I can think of off hand are words like: mom, pop, and dad, and nun.

5. The Aeghilian language has much more phonetic connection between its letters and sounds than say english or french. (less spelling variation of sounds)

Language creation should be a fun activity. Most of us here do not work in a linguistics department or wish to. So please do not hassle those of us who are not into the technical side of language creation. This is my hobby; something I do for fun in my spare time. Not something I want to pull out my hair about. What would be the point if it stops being fun? I can get plenty of aggravation from my boss at work if that was what I was seeking.

OK, enough ranting. Let's keep things fun and interesting for everyone. OK?

Solan
Niš
Niš

Post by Solan »

Zaarin wrote:
MiscellaneousJax wrote:Lastly, what qualifies a sound as strange?
I think sounds only attested in a single language, like Tlingit's /χʼʷ/, can justifiably be called strange. :P That hasn't prevented me from using it in a conlang, however...
Whatever sounds strange To Me.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Solan wrote:There is an IMMENSE learning curve for IPA.
Or you could, you know, keep a table open as a reference. You won't learn if you don't use it, and this isn't a school exam, so you are allowed to look things up.

Solan
Niš
Niš

Post by Solan »

KathAveara wrote:
Solan wrote:There is an IMMENSE learning curve for IPA.
Or you could, you know, keep a table open as a reference. You won't learn if you don't use it, and this isn't a school exam, so you are allowed to look things up.
Yes but a table isn't going to tell me what the sounds are that the symbols stand for. I've tried listening to the samples, but they are too short to be certain I am getting the gist of the sound.( I am a bit hard of hearing)

I wonder if anyone here would be willing to give me the IPA notation to my language if I sent them a sound file of me pronouncing some of the words (it would only take a bout 20 words to get all the sounds on tape).

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

If you go to the wiki page for each IPA letter, it has examples in various languages.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

I'm going to point out here that by declaring a lack of interest in the "technical side of language creation", you are very much in the minority here. This board is pretty much geared to those who very much are interested in linguistics and the "technical side". You might get feedback more in line with your interests over at Unilang or the CBB- the latter has a decidedly linguistic slant as well, but tends to be slightly more forgiving than the ZBB is.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Solan wrote:1.There is an IMMENSE learning curve for IPA.
No.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Dewrad wrote:I'm going to point out here that by declaring a lack of interest in the "technical side of language creation", you are very much in the minority here. This board is pretty much geared to those who very much are interested in linguistics and the "technical side". You might get feedback more in line with your interests over at Unilang or the CBB- the latter has a decidedly linguistic slant as well, but tends to be slightly more forgiving than the ZBB is.
+1

And more, not to be too societal about it, but without IPA I doubt you'll be taken seriously anywhere. I think that York University Canada's page is a good place to start because it's clickable and it has good samples.
næn:älʉː

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Saying that you don't want to learn the technical side of conlanging is like saying you don't want to actually learn how to play an instrument when when learning music.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

He decided to learn IPA.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.