@anyone who went to conworlds.com

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Xhin
Sanci
Sanci

@anyone who went to conworlds.com

Post by Xhin »

There was a server configuration bug that made all requests redirect to my other site gtx0.com.

I also forgot to renew the domain name so it expired, got locked, and then became available again.

I've re-bought conworlds.com and the old posts/etc are still on the server so nothing's actually been lost. I'm going to look into the server configuration this weekend, but the domain should at least go to the right server within 72 hours.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: @anyone who went to conworlds.com

Post by sangi39 »

I was never a member of the conworld.com board but I did browse it every so often to see if there was any useful information that might be helpful in my current project and I was a bit surprised when it, all of a sudden, went down. Glad to see it's going to be back up though :)
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I lurk there sometimes, too, so thanks for letting us know what's been happening.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

awesome. i'm finally getting back to my noveling and world building so this is extra great to hear. i might actually be able to regularly contribute again
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Ramses
Niš
Niš

Post by Ramses »

Since this was posted, I've tried several times to get to the site, with conworlds.com and conworlds.com/cwbb/index.php, without luck. Is the site having problems getting up?
"It was not the sadness of one about to commit suicide but the melancholy of one that has been rejected."
-From a Dream

"The only daughter of the Sun is Chaos."

"Käpó ní Jan ú äshí Úfá."

Xhin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xhin »

These issues have finally been fixed. I mass-emailed everyone. Domain propogation may take up to ~24 hours.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Problems started up again this year.
NameCheap.com sold conworlds.com to Shane Cagle.
It's a crap-shoot every time you try to send anything to conworlds.com, or try to log on to it, whether you'll get his domain or the CWBB.
Even if you're already logged on to it, if you reply to a post on it your reply is sent to the domain NameCheap.com sold about half the time.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

TomHChappell wrote:Problems started up again this year.
NameCheap.com sold conworlds.com to Shane Cagle.
It's a crap-shoot every time you try to send anything to conworlds.com, or try to log on to it, whether you'll get his domain or the CWBB.
Even if you're already logged on to it, if you reply to a post on it your reply is sent to the domain NameCheap.com sold about half the time.
Xhin seems to have fixed this for good now.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Oh good. I saw it was gone, and thought it was gone for good and I was sad to have one less conworld/lang place.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I cannot help but make a plug for Anthologica, a conlanging/conworlding site which represents a population of users formed mostly of #isharians (and hence of ZBBers and former ZBBers). We can always use more users, especially for our forums (which still need to reach critical mass), and IMO we provide a better environment for actually constructing conlangs and conworlds than phpBB or MediaWiki-based environments and hence will be useful to even people who plan on primarily sticking to the ZBB w.r.t. forum usage.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

There's also ConWorkShop, which is built primarily for making conlangs, but there's also a forum. We also host games (and other events) every other month, mostly geared towards helping to develop conlangs.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

I participated on some sites where someone who could edit it apparently enforced a rule that if you didn't update your stuff for a certain number of days or weeks or months then they would delete it without telling you so.
Obviously I don't want to put anything permanent on any such site.
One way to avoid that problem would be to limit the authority to delete stuff (preferably to just one editor other than the author himself/herself); another would be to automatically notify the user when their stuff gets deleted.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

TomHChappell wrote:I participated on some sites where someone who could edit it apparently enforced a rule that if you didn't update your stuff for a certain number of days or weeks or months then they would delete it without telling you so.
Obviously I don't want to put anything permanent on any such site.
One way to avoid that problem would be to limit the authority to delete stuff (preferably to just one editor other than the author himself/herself); another would be to automatically notify the user when their stuff gets deleted.
I do not know about conwords.com or ConWorkShop, but this certainly is not an issue with Anthologica.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

CWS doesn't work that way either, as far as I've ever known--although if your dictionary isn't set up properly (usually because you imported it from a CSV file incorrectly), there's a cleanup job that will delete it eventually. You'll get notified a month or so before it happens, though, so you have time to fix it.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

That seems like bad design, in that it should not be possible to have an improperly set-up dictionary in the first place, with the user being prevented from creating an improperly set-up dictionary.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

To my knowledge, the only way to trigger it is to import from an external file, with malformed PoS codes.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

KathTheDragon wrote:To my knowledge, the only way to trigger it is to import from an external file, with malformed PoS codes.
Yes, I think this is the only way, I hedged my bets with "usually" in my original post because I'm not entirely sure. :)
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

That still is bad design, as a well-designed site would immediately report an error upon trying to import with an invalid CSV file and refuse to create/update the dictionary as a result.

Xhin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xhin »

This issue has been fixed, and steps have been taken so that I can respond to server issues immediately (since I check the site rarely these days).

It would be neat to do more with the site someday, but for now it's just a great place to post stuff that will never be deleted.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Travis B. wrote:I cannot help but make a plug for Anthologica, a conlanging/conworlding site which represents a population of users formed mostly of #isharians (and hence of ZBBers and former ZBBers). We can always use more users, especially for our forums (which still need to reach critical mass), and IMO we provide a better environment for actually constructing conlangs and conworlds than phpBB or MediaWiki-based environments and hence will be useful to even people who plan on primarily sticking to the ZBB w.r.t. forum usage.
At least in my case, i can't seem to get to the site, there's a problem loading. Maybe the curse has been passed on?
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

For me, at least, Anthologica has always had loading issues, and is the slowest site I know of.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

KathTheDragon wrote:For me, at least, Anthologica has always had loading issues, and is the slowest site I know of.
Have you tried http://dynamic.anthologi.ca?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO