What's the importance of complement and relative clauses?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Turama
Niš
Niš

What's the importance of complement and relative clauses?

Post by Turama »

So firstly, a complement clause is the clause that is mostly expressed with that in English. For example: I saw, that he slept. Headless relative clauses would be relative clauses but without a head, obviously. Something like the sleeping one though one is used as a dummy head in this case, some other languages would use just the sleeping, like Latin for example.

The sentence ilapim phaiatasa could either mean I saw, that he sleeps or I saw the sleeping one. However how important is this destinction though? I mean of course it's my conlang but how realistic is that cross-linguistically? Who knows maybe it's a very important feature cross linguistically and I just remove it.

Before I changed that the second meaning was expressed through the use of the prefix tzha-, so that the sentence would be: itzhalapim phaiatasa I saw the sleeping one.

PS: I believe I heard that some north american languages do the same. I think it was Navajo, but I'm not sure.
I am not native to english, so there could be some errors in my grammar, spelling or the choice of words.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: What's the importance of complement and relative clauses

Post by Salmoneus »

"I don't like the sleeping one" is not the same as "I don't like that he sleeps".
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: What's the importance of complement and relative clauses

Post by vec »

I don't like the one who sleeps and I don't like the sleeping one are roughly equivalent, relative/participial, respectively.
vec