A question about proto-nostratic's Wikipedia page

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
YourFace
Lebom
Lebom

A question about proto-nostratic's Wikipedia page

Post by YourFace »

What the hell does "∇" represent? It only shows up in the vocabulary section (and nowhere else, not even the example text), so I have no idea what it represents. Does anyone here know?
yee

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Re: A question about proto-nostratic's Wikipedia page

Post by WeepingElf »

It seems to be a cover symbol for an uncertain segment of some sort, but I don't know the details. Russian school Nostratic is full of uncertain segments and many-to-many correspondences, which strongly suggests that the whole thing is bogus.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

YourFace
Lebom
Lebom

Post by YourFace »

WeepingElf wrote:It seems to be a cover symbol for an uncertain segment of some sort, but I don't know the details. Russian school Nostratic is full of uncertain segments and many-to-many correspondences, which strongly suggests that the whole thing is bogus.
Thanks.
yee

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Strange, Ive never seen that before either, I think ∇ is seen as a more socially acceptable variant of V, which stands for "unknown vowel".

An IP user change4d it in 2009:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =295148411
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I dug up a Proto-Nostratic dictionary a while back which was probably one of the main sources for the Wikipedia page, and it used ∇ rather than V. The edit was probably to bring the orthography in line with what's used in the literature. Note that the Wikipedia page mentions that the listed etymologies are considered "strong"; In the dictionary I found, many if not most of the listed morphemes contained one or more uncertain segments, and some were as vague as "some liquid followed by some vowel."