How do you manage your lexicon?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
YourFace
Lebom
Lebom

How do you manage your lexicon?

Post by YourFace »

I use Lexique Pro. What do you do to sort your words?
yee

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Re: How do you manage your lexicon?

Post by Pabappa »

I use MS Excel. I tried Access once but I couldnt quite get my mind around it so I gave up. Access would have been awesome and perfect for matching languages with each other. Two of my conlangs have >10000 words so Im not sure Lexique Pro would handle that.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

gestaltist
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gestaltist »

I use TiddlyWiki. I use its fantastic scripting abilities and have built a tool that lets me interlink things in a neat way and is great for searching. (E.g., I can have multiple languages in one base, make links to and from glossed examples, to root words in the proto-Lang, to grammar topics...)

ęzo
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ęzo »

[razed and salted]
Last edited by ęzo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Notepad documents or google documents. The first is preferable since it has a search function and if such a thing exists for google docs I haven't found it.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Cmd/Ctrl+F gives you search in Google Docs.
vec

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

I have a spreadsheet with columns for word, glosses, grammatical category, etc. New words get added to the end of the list, and periodically I use the built-in alphabetizer to sort into (English, obvs) alpha order. I keep one set for Conlang>English and one set for English>Conlang just so I don't have to realphabetize when I switch which way I'm translating.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

A simple HTML file.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

Emacs. Why would I need anything else?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Aili Meilani wrote:Emacs. Why would I need anything else?
A text editor for that operating system? I dunno, maybe EVIL?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Badly ...

At the moment I mostly prefer Excel for my major languages. Some of my smaller languages I just keep lists in .doc(x) or .txt format, though.

I used to use Lexique Pro for my biggest languages until I inadvertently failed to transfer the source files when I got a new computer - I kept the .rtf outputs though so I didn't actually lose anything, although even several years later my Viksen vocabulary is now unevenly distributed between that .rtf file and the new .xlsx file. To be honest I think I prefer Excel - though LP does have certain advantages, I doubt I'll go back to it.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I've started using ConWorkShop in conjunction with an Excel spreadsheet for managing my languages.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

vec wrote:Cmd/Ctrl+F gives you search in Google Docs.
Oh, of course! Thanks :)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Either with Pages or Numbers on Mac. For short lists sometimes I use TextEdit.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Kilanie
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kilanie »

I use LaTeX to format a dictionary. Although usually I just end up looking at the raw .tex file instead of the PDF it outputs.
After ordering a pint of his favorite ale, Robert was perplexed when the barmaid replied that the fishmonger was next door. The Great English Vowel Shift had begun.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I probably should use some sort of database thingie, maybe MSAccess or something... but I'd have to learn the ropes, so instead i make do with excel. it works well enough

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Excel doesn't seem to want to let me use extended letters. Word is very happy with this, but excel refuses point blank. Not even just user-specified letters, it doesn't even acknowledge that i'm using the United Kingdom Extended keyboard.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

I've had bad experiences with Lexique Pro and then also with spreadsheets and I've found, for me, it's simplest just to use text. It's easy to back up and there are never any problems with formatting. I do a whole lot of weird stuff to help myself search through it. Headwords are preceded by •, followed by ::, English words that I want to search for are in these < >, crossreferences to other words are in these ' ', tags for semantic domains are in these { }. It's not really pretty or anything but it works for me.

More: show

Code: Select all

• xume :: (v) is <necessary> to |D|; is <obligatory> for |D|; |D| <needs> <requires> <must have> |N| (≈ 'nase')

» Xume zuo ka loe nu jeu.
  › xume      zuo   ka   loe   nu         jeu
  › necessary NOM.C PROS sleep NOM.1s.ICS same
  › “I will need to sleep later too.” [ICS/DOM] 

• xumie :: (v) <needs> <requires> <must> be |…| [from 'xume' + '-i-']
• xuo :: (v) is a <gap> <space> between |…|/|G| {spat}
  ◊ gixua ~ › (v) is <among> <amongst> |…|/|G| {loc}
  ◊ nxua ~ › (v) is <between> |…|/|G| {loc}
• xuomaki :: (v) is a <window> [from 'xuo' + 'maki']
• xuttia :: (v) <four> <and four> <plus four> [compounding form of number used as an addition rather than a multiplication, follows numbers of tens, from x- + nuttia, see 'ava'] {quan}
• xuua :: (n) [contraction of 'xu' + 'tia']
• xuue :: (n) [contraction of 'xu' + 'tie']
• xuuo :: (n) [contraction of 'xu' + 'tio']

Z z /z/

» Iuxi va tiia za kue nu ixi to hueva xabas eni xuue.
  › iuxi            va  tiia    za  kue   nu         ixi             to   hueva xaba            ene        xu              -tie
  › GEN.3p.INAN.DEF all picture REL cause NOM.1s.ICS ACC.3p.INAN.DEF thus most  happy.situation DAT.1s.ICS NOM.3s.INAN.DEF this1
  › “Out of all of the pictures I've made, this one pleases me the most.” [ICS/DOM]

» Ha vu inju za ttu eni zuo nju vu?
  › ha vu         i-   g-  ju             za  ttu      eni        zuo   g-  ju             vu
  › Q  NOM.2s.ICS PRED-COP-NOM.3s.ICS.DEF REL believed DAT.1s.ICS NOM.C COP-NOM.3s.ICS.DEF NOM.2s.ICS
  › “Are you who I think you are?” [ICS]

» Kka nu inju za ttu eui zuo nju nu.
  › kka nu         i-   g-  ju             za  ttu      eui         zuo   g-  ju             nu
  › no  NOM.1s.ICS PRED-COP-NOM.3s.ICS.DEF REL believed DAT.2s.MASC NOM.C COP-NOM.3s.ICS.DEF NOM.1s.ICS
  › “I'm not who you think I am.” [ICS]

• zagua :: (v) is a <gibbon> [Hylobatidae] {fau}
• zaha :: (v) [MUJA] <fights> <attacks> |A| for |T| because of |Ca| [physically, without weapons, cf. 'gazau'] {vio}
  ◊ le ~ › (v) is <violence>
• zaitia :: (v) is <guts> <entrails> <intestines> <internal organs> of |G| {bod}
• zaliu :: 1. is a <slug> <land slug> [shell-less land-living gastropod] {fau}
           2. is <grease> <axle grease> [lubricant used to grease the axles of an 'ozuuo'] {Qu}
• zamita :: (v) is <Saturday> {loan} {DE} {Earth}
• zamu :: (v) <stands>
  ◊ ~ talu › (v) is <goosebumps>; |L|/|G| <has goosebumps>
• zara :: (v) <writes> |A| to |D| on |L|
  ◊ xo ~ :: (v) is a <scribe> <author> <writer> {job} 
• zare :: (v) is <grass> [Poaceae] {flo}
• zaria :: (v) is <writing>; is a <script> [from 'zara' + '-i-']
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Salmoneus wrote:Excel doesn't seem to want to let me use extended letters. Word is very happy with this, but excel refuses point blank. Not even just user-specified letters, it doesn't even acknowledge that i'm using the United Kingdom Extended keyboard.
really? I've never had any problem with character support in excel... then again, I'm lazy and so generally work with romanizations dependent on stuff like digraphs, instead of going through the trouble of fashioning or adopting some keyboard layout that allows one to type half the IPA. Still, I import plenty of non-standard characters to excel with no problems... though not the sort of "a-with-two-acute-accents-and-a-little-underdot" weird characters.

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

I mainly use OpenOffice.org Calc(OpenOffice.org version of Excel), although I have tried to export some vocabularies to ConWorkShop, and have downloaded Lexique Pro and have even used Lexique Pro, but I am probably not patient enough, I have only typed less than 100 words in Lexique Pro, while I have two conlangs(one a priori, one a posteriori) with more than 2,000 words...
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

Uzhdarchios wrote:Unfortunately, looking for the program now, it seems Mecislau’s removed LexManager from his website, so perhaps it’s no longer available for general use.
I was able to find it pretty quickly on GitHub. OTOH the last commit is from 2012 so it doesn't appear it's being actively maintained.
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

k1234567890y wrote:I mainly use OpenOffice.org Calc(OpenOffice.org version of Excel),
What frustrates me about Calc is, if I want to find all the instances of, for example, the sequence /ti/ in my conlang and I select the column where the conlang words are and then go to search, it searches the entire document and finds ALL of the ti's in every column. What's the point of having my dictionary aranged in columns if I can't isolate the columns? Maybe newer versions don't do this?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

gestaltist
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gestaltist »

Imralu wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:I mainly use OpenOffice.org Calc(OpenOffice.org version of Excel),
What frustrates me about Calc is, if I want to find all the instances of, for example, the sequence /ti/ in my conlang and I select the column where the conlang words are and then go to search, it searches the entire document and finds ALL of the ti's in every column. What's the point of having my dictionary aranged in columns if I can't isolate the columns? Maybe newer versions don't do this?
Can’t you circumvent this problem via filters?

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Imralu wrote:
If you click "More Options" in the find dialog, you can choose to sort by columns rather than rows, which can help a bit, although you have to make sure you're searching from the top cell or else it'll move to the next column.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

I’m using a database in LibreOffice Base (LibreOffice’s Access) for both of my conlangs; I even create additional tables and queries for some recurring tasks.
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.