Scandinavian/Baltic Auxlang

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
MiscellaneousJax
Sanci
Sanci

Scandinavian/Baltic Auxlang

Post by MiscellaneousJax »

So, I've recently started working on an auxlang that is to be used by a fictional nation of mine, which encompasses what is today the Nordic countries, the Baltic countries, New Zealand, Malta, and the Canary Islands. The auxlang is based off of the following languages: Phonology:

/m n ɲ ŋ/ m n nj ng
/p~pʰ b t~tʰ d k~kʰ g/ p b t d k g
/ts tʃ~tɕ/ z kj
/f s ʃ~ɕ x h/ f s sj x h
/ʋ l j/ v l j
/ɾ~r/ r

/i y e ø ɛ æ/ i y e ø æ a
/ɪ ʏ ʉ~ʊ ə/ i y u (any)
/u o ɔ/ u o å
/a~ɑ/ a

/aɪ̯ eɪ̯ ɔʏ̯ oʊ̯ aʊ̯/ aj ej åj ou au

The orthography is designed so that it is able to be typed on a Danish keyboard. The phonology itself, though it is based off of all of those languages, is most heavily influenced by the Nordic languages (specifically Danish) because those languages (including Danish, the former national language) are the most commonly spoken languages. If you can find any gear-grinding illogicalities in the phonology or the orthography that I posted, feel free to point them out; any help is appreciated. The morphology is currently a work-in-progress, so it may take some time before I can post it.

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Scandinavian/Baltic Auxlang

Post by Genome »

Looks interesting, can't wait to see how it works out. :-D

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Ditto what Genome said. Any update? I made a Germanic auxlang myself, which takes the Scandinavian languages on board. Only thing left online right now, though, is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbt6d4wfBBA

MiscellaneousJax
Sanci
Sanci

Bryan wrote:Ditto what Genome said. Any update? I made a Germanic auxlang myself, which takes the Scandinavian languages on board. Only thing left online right now, though, is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbt6d4wfBBA
Terribly sorry to disappoint, but I ended up scrapping the auxlang because I redid my fictional nation (it's on NationStates; we restarted our region and I changed quite a bit about my country). I ended up keeping Danish as the national language, but having a strong emphasis on multilingualism among the population.

I did, however, create three conlangs for this new redo of the nation, though they're only complete enough for me to have named their member-republics and a couple government officials.

I'm also working on a Danish-French-based language that I'll probably post soon. It'll either end up fantastic or turn out to be a giant clusterfuck, the way it's going.

Cool language, by the way!

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Shame about the scrapping. Is Nation States still even around? You read Jennifer Government?

Link us up when you post that language description.

MiscellaneousJax
Sanci
Sanci

Bryan wrote:Shame about the scrapping. Is Nation States still even around? You read Jennifer Government?

Link us up when you post that language description.
NationStates is still around, and with it every single possible ideology there is. I haven't read Jennifer Government yet, but it seems interesting and it's on my list of books I'd like to read.