Modern English to Modern Brazilian Portuguese

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
conde
Niš
Niš

Modern English to Modern Brazilian Portuguese

Post by conde »

What if I used the rules that turned the Vulgar Latin in Modern Brazilian Portuguese , in English to an English with Latin characteristics ? How it would sound as the Portuguese sounds a little different?
Portuguese only allows s r l m as final consonants , vowels and nasal has also dintongos nasal . Please give me a help !!!

conde
Niš
Niš

Re: Modern English to Modern Brazilian Portuguese

Post by conde »

I thought the Portangles name, which means door of the English, because Portuguese comes from Portugal , which means door of the Gauls , but do not know if it's good

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

You will have to modify the rules, since the starting points are different.

youkai01
Sanci
Sanci

Post by youkai01 »

Brazilian Portuguese didn't come from Vulgar Latin, but rather from the Portuguese of the 16th century. However, colonial Portuguese didn't really become a new language over time, so calling the pt-BR of today "modern", as to give it a "separate language" feeling, may be problematic as well. You could think of applying the rules that turned Vulgar Latin into Old Portuguese, though.
(also, Brazilian Portuguese only allows /s, r/ at the syllable coda)

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

youkai01 wrote:Brazilian Portuguese didn't come from Vulgar Latin, but rather from the Portuguese of the 16th century.
Saying this is like saying that Modern English didn't come from Proto-Germanic because it came from Old English. Old English ultimately comes from Proto-Germanic, thus so does Modern English. In the same way, Brazilian Portuguese ultimately comes from Vulgar Latin. What I presume the OP means is that they want to apply the sound changes that happened throughout all the 1600 years or so from Vulgar Latin to Modern Brazilian Portuguese.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

You'll need to pick a dialect of English, as different dialects have radically different vowel sets. (For a good feel of the variety, look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... h_dialects, and remember that those are just the major dialect groups).
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

youkai01
Sanci
Sanci

Post by youkai01 »

Matrix wrote:Saying this is like saying that Modern English didn't come from Proto-Germanic because it came from Old English. Old English ultimately comes from Proto-Germanic, thus so does Modern English. In the same way, Brazilian Portuguese ultimately comes from Vulgar Latin. What I presume the OP means is that they want to apply the sound changes that happened throughout all the 1600 years or so from Vulgar Latin to Modern Brazilian Portuguese.
Evidently, but take a look at how they phrased that: "What if I used the rules that turned the Vulgar Latin in Modern Brazilian Portuguese (..)". It sounds like the change was direct, which just isn't the case.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

youkai01 wrote:
Matrix wrote:Saying this is like saying that Modern English didn't come from Proto-Germanic because it came from Old English. Old English ultimately comes from Proto-Germanic, thus so does Modern English. In the same way, Brazilian Portuguese ultimately comes from Vulgar Latin. What I presume the OP means is that they want to apply the sound changes that happened throughout all the 1600 years or so from Vulgar Latin to Modern Brazilian Portuguese.
Evidently, but take a look at how they phrased that: "What if I used the rules that turned the Vulgar Latin in Modern Brazilian Portuguese (..)". It sounds like the change was direct, which just isn't the case.
Of course it was direct. It was a continuous process - the fact that you can attach arbitrary labels at any point doesn't affect the changes themselves in the slightest.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I suggest reducing the sound changes to their distinctive feature components in order to account for the differing the starting phonology e.g. rather than n>0/V_V, say +nas -syll -lab>0/V_V.

Atrulfal
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Atrulfal »

Why pick English and pick Brazilian Portuguese ?
mèþru wrote:You'll need to pick a dialect of English, as different dialects have radically different vowel sets. (For a good feel of the variety, look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... h_dialects, and remember that those are just the major dialect groups).
That person would also need to pick a dialect of Brazilian Portuguese to aim for.