History of your Conworlds?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Carolina Conlanger
Sanci
Sanci

History of your Conworlds?

Post by Carolina Conlanger »

Almea is probably the conworld with the most detailed written history besides Middle Earth. Do most people here write detailed histories of their Conworlds, or am I in the minority here?

I've written histories and short stories for my conworld. The stories and histories I've written include among others:

Rebellion
Conflict
Revolution
Orisiy
The Descendants of Tillhah
The Zedith Wars
Before the Rebellion
Monarchs of Oriccia
Erag's Rebellion
Landing on Oris Island
The Exhenixen Wars
The Legend of Ista
The Legend of Tillhah

Many of these stories are incomplete, some are lost, and some contradict each other. Have you written detailed histories of your conworlds?

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: History of your Conworlds?

Post by Frislander »

I have one word for you: Tekumel
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daistallia »

Karero wrote:I have one word for you: Tekumel
:)

The "forgoten Tolkien" is wastly underrated!

Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pedant »

In terms of world-building? Definitely. His stories, though, tend to read more like summarized plots of the games the world was developed with. Which makes sense, but it may explain–-along with its slightly unorthodox mores--why it may not be as popular.
Another to look into is the world in The Stone Dance of the Chameleon, which suffers from similar storytelling setbacks. Sheesh, people read George R Martin with no trouble, but dab it up in convoluted language and throw in a new social structure and they go right off the violence and lovemaking...heh, not so fond of the latter myself, but that's a personal preference, and it doesn't affect the sheer creativity of these places.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

I have quite a lot of material on the history of my conworld - not sure how much exactly, maybe in the order of several tens of thousands of words? Certain historical cultures I've focused on rather more than most present-day cultures. But the level of detail varies - sometimes it's not more than the most sketchy of notes (and sometimes not even that - it's still just nebulously hanging around in my head, or I haven't thought about it at all); sometimes it's more details, but still little more than a bullet point outline; and just occasionally it takes the form of a fairly long piece of continuous prose - albeit often still unfinished, or with gaps in.