Conlangs in the Media - links

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Conlangs in the Media - links

Post by jal »

(I don't think there's been a thread on this before, if I'm mistaken please say so.)

What I'd like to have is a thread that has links to conlanging in the media, both good and bad. Here's a link I stumbled upon recently:

JRR Tolkien’s rules for constructing imaginary languages

It's very top-level, but adds a link to a Youtube vid of Tolkien reciting a poem in Quenya, and a nice Youtube vid I didn't know where Okrand, DJP and Frommer (of Na'vi) talk about creating languages.

So, if you encounter or have encountered media attention to conlanging, please share.

JAL

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangs in the Media - links

Post by Xephyr »

(I also posted this in the Random Thread a while ago I think, but...)

The Brows Held High episode on Klingon Hamlet does a surprisingly good job of covering Klingon, Marc Okrand, and conlangs in general. He's not quite part of "mainstream media", but he is Internet Famous.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

jal wrote:Here's a link I stumbled upon recently:

JRR Tolkien’s rules for constructing imaginary languages
Written by one of the authors/editors of the recently published A Secret Vice book, expanding on Tolkien's essay.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Just found this (YouTube). Nice (very basic) introduction to conlangs, and it has subtitles in a gazillion languages.

JAL

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

A friend found an interesting little article about English-based creoles on the BBC. It's nice, but it gives to much credit to the "English is a creole" idea:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201608 ... -languages
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť