[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Standard Average You

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Standard Average You
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 am 
Sanci
Sanci

I have a strong attraction to nasals, bilabial trills, fricatives, prefixes, and the average Spanish vowel set.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Orthography:
- No use of diacritics - easy to write quickly with whatever keyboard
- Little use of digraphs, and no use of digraphs that could lead to ambiguity (these two things have an effect on my phonology, although I tend to like small systems anyway)

Phonology:
- Standard five-vowel system, with /i/ and /u/ having semivowel/non-syllabic allophones
- Tendency towards smaller consonant inventories
- Lots of [ʒ] because it is sex
- Initial /ŋ/ always allowed
- No rhotics although alveolar flaps appear as an allophone of /d/
- Increasingly few consonant clusters, tending towards more open syllables. I used to like a slightly consonanty, Eastern Europe sound, but I'm liking vowelier languages now.
- Tending towards more voiced consonants, prenasalised stops, semivowels and a kind of stereotypical "ugabuga bu" sound, but also with ʒ.
- I want to be able to pronounce my langs fairly easily, so I tend not to have anything too exotic and non-SAE. I do have a fondness for ejectives though, but only put them in positions where I have no trouble pronouncing them.
- At the same time, I detest anything that makes it sound too Englishy (or Elf-Dragon-Orc fantasy-y), so no approximant rhotics and no dental fricatives. (Although I have always thought about making a conlang with the exact phonology of English so it just sounds like gibberish. Washy top the snarker jumple? Ping! Washing topped in the snarker a jarkins. Oh, tessalation.)

Grammar:
- Heads before modifiers and pretty strict about it, although what counts as a head would sometimes surprise.
- Analytic because of my dislike of prefixes and because suffixes break the branching order unless they actually belong to the following word (like marking the following word with a suffix on the preceding word).
- No lexical noun-verb distinction (generally with content words behaving more nouny, but one lang was more verby)
- Usually weird things with genders, associated with strict gender roles in society (differing pronunciation, gendered action words, derogatory marking of inappropriate behaviour for a gender)
- Frequent use of gerundives, since before I even knew that was a thing. Gerundives frequently infixed although not in the latest lang.
- Simple kinship system (Families! Fuck em!)
- Base ten number system. I'd like to be more exotic, but I hate maths, so, no.
- Clusivity distinctions in pronouns, plural pronouns often formed additively, like "you+I" or "s/he+I" etc.

Vocabulary:
Except for the occasional more novel conlang that I usually give up on quite quickly, most of my conlangs are a nearer approximation of the conlang I really want. They're more or less big overhauls of the same thing. They don't exist in the same world as each other and once I've moved on, the last one is dropped and no longer exists, so I am free to take a lot of vocab that I've grown attached to and simply put it in the new one without worrying about explaining why it's the same as in another language. For about the last ten years, I've had these words or words very like them.

na = 1s
wa = 2s
ba = extreme one
i copula, introduces predicate
da = big one

So basically, "you are very big" has basically been wa i ba da (with small mostly orthographic variations) in every main language of mine, except one where it was ba tta wa (with <tt> representing an ejective, although, even then, with topic fronting, it could be wa iba tta.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I think I agree with almost everything Imralu said (we've previously noted that our conlangs are uncannily similar). I don't have a lot of different conlangs, but I do occasionally overhaul the whole thing and make a new version. The current one is version 20, hopefully the last major version.

A few things, though:

- My main langs are not naturalistic. Among other things, they have no phonetic or syntactic ambiguity.
- I like having pretty big phoneme inventories, but with sounds I can pronounce, so they tend to include some of the oddities of English and Swedish.
- Always base 16. It's the best base.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:07 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I don't have many "standard average me" features in my conlangs; I cherish diversity and avoid doing the same thing twice. What there is is that most of my conlangs are naturalistic and constructed diachronically. Features I like are front rounded vowels, rich inflectional morphologies and active-stative or other split-ergative morphosyntactic alignments - but not all of my conlangs have all of these. My main conlang, , pretty much embodies what I consider a "beautiful" language.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:39 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My conlangs on this site:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:48 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Soap on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 pm 
Smeric
Smeric