An Introduction to Estotian

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

An Introduction to Estotian

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

In the North Atlantic Ocean, about 500 miles south of Greenland and 550 miles east of Newfoundland, lies an island country called Estotiland. Settled as early as 10,000 BCE by people of disputed genetic stock, perhaps an admixture of the earliest Paleo-Indians and Neolithic Europeans, it remained isolated from all surrounding landmasses for millenia, its inhabitants practicing hunting, gathering, and fishing, never undertaking great sea journeys. During the Medieval Warm Period, the people of Estotiland adopted animal husbandry and Christianity from the Norse, and their language was written down for the first time, in the Latin alphabet, by the priests who came to minister to them. Agriculture and increased contacts with other north Atlantic trading peoples such as the Dutch, English, Bretons, and Basques soon followed.

After the discovery of the Americas, Estotiland was for over two hundred years conflated with Labrador, or thought to be connected to the mainland of North America, as first implied by the infamous Zeno Map, and reproduced in others:

Here is the actual location of Estotiland:

The name Estotiland is a Germanic adaptation of the Estotian name Estotjvar [ɛstɔʃfaɾ], a compound of estotj ("people" - esto "person" + tj collective suffix) and var ("land").

Estotian is a language isolate, or, perhaps, a small family of closely-related languages.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Re: An Introduction to Estotian

Phonology

Glossing over some dialectal differences, the Estotian phoneme inventory can broadly be said to consist of the following:

Vowels

/a ɛ eː iː (yː) u oː ɔ/ - /yː/ has merged into /iː/ in most varieties.
/ai̯ au̯ (əi̯)/ - historical /iː/ diphthongizes to /əi̯/ or even merges with /ai̯/ in some dialects, thus "avoiding" a merger with /yː/

Consonants

/p t k/
/b ð/ - /ð/ is devoiced to [θ] in certain environments in certain dialects; /b/ occasionally surfaces as [v] in rapid or casual speech
/f s ʃ (ç) x h/ - while having a long presence in the language, [ç] is not clearly phonemic; it may be regarded as an allophone of certain sequences
/m n/
/l ɾ/
/j/

Syllable structure

Generally, the maximal syllable structure in native Estotian words is sCRVRC, with R including the resonants /m n l ɾ j/ and the fricative /f/; /j/ and /f/ are excluded from the second R; /j/ is excluded from the final C (look I'm bad at these, basically you can have /spjalt/ and /kfamp/ but not /tɾifk/ or /hojɾ/ or /bɛj/ - actually I'm still hardly sure on this part anyways)

Stress

Estotian is syllable-timed with initial primary stress.

Historical sound changes

The reconstructed original vowel system for Estotian was a simple five-vowel system of /a e i o u/, distinguishing long and short. By the time the Latin alphabet arrived in Estotiland, /uː/ had fronted to /yː/, and /i/ had merged with /e/; furthermore, /e/ and /o/ were in the process of lowering to /ɛ/ and /ɔ/.

Shortly after the adoption of the Latin alphabet, /aː/ merged with /ɛ/ in some dialects and /ɔ/ in others,

Early on in the history of Estotian, /hj/ developed the allophone [ç]. Shortly after the adoption of the Latina alphabet, /sj/ also shifted to [ç]. Note that while today /h/ is realized as [h], it the was realized as [x] before the shift described below. Even later, modern /xj/ has largely merged with [ç].

Originally, there was a series of voiced stops /b d g/. However, after the adoption of writing, /g/ was lenited to /ɣ/, and then devoiced to /x/, pushing original /x/ to /h/. /d/ has been lenited to /ð/. /p t k/, particularly /k/, sometimes undergo assimilatory voicing in certain contexts.

Historical /f/ and certain instances of /s/ and /h/ are the result of a consonant-gradation-like process affecting /p t k/; further instances of /f/ have been introduced via loanwords.

Historical /v/ was devoiced to /f/; merging with historical /f/.

After (for the most part) the merger of /i/ with /e/, but before the merger of /yː/ with /iː/, /t/ was palatalized to /ʃ/ before /iː/. Word-finally, before other vowels, and in certain pre-consonantal environments, especially across morpheme boundaries (such as in Estotjvar), the /iː/ "merged" with /ʃ/, or rather was just dropped. Additionally, both before and after the introduction of writing, /k/ has occasionally been palatalized variously to /s/, /ç/, and /ʃ/, depending on the dialect and environment.

The period shortly before the introduction of writing was also characterized by the loss of intertonic vowels and certain word-final vowels.

Duns Scotus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Duns Scotus »

I initially read this as "Estonian."

Anyway, cool stuff, I look forward to reading more about Estotian.
My conlang is Fyrthir.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

It's a good thing you didn't put it on Frisland because that's where my Frislandian is situated!
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Duns Scotus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Duns Scotus »

One question I just thought of: How did you make that last map?
My conlang is Fyrthir.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

duns_scotus wrote:I initially read this as "Estonian."

Anyway, cool stuff, I look forward to reading more about Estotian.
Yeah they kind of have a Slovakia-Slovenia thing going on. Though luckily it isn't too bad since it's Estotiland and not Estotia.
Frislander wrote:It's a good thing you didn't put it on Frisland because that's where my Frislandian is situated!
Haha, I'm glad I didn't. Honestly I feel sorry for Frisland, people must always confuse it with Friesland. Luckily Friesland isn't an independent country, or they'd have an even worse Slovakia-Slovenia thing going on.

duns_scotus wrote:One question I just thought of: How did you make that last map?
It's actually very easy! I do it a lot to plan out the locations of concountries.

1. Download and open Google Earth.
2. Select "Add Polygon".
3. Draw out the shape of your fictional island.
4. In "Properties", set the color of the outline to yellow, to match the shoreline on Google Earth.
5. Set the color to whatever shade of green or brown best matches the surrounding areas.
6. Lower the opacity so the landforms beneath the sea show through and give your island a little bit of "form".
7. Select "Add label".
8. Click where you want your fictional island's label to be.
9. Select the button next to the name box; in the dialogue that pops up, select "no icon"
10. Select the tab "Style, Color"; choose the color for the text of the label that matches the category it's supposed to be - e.g. a sovereign state, yellow; a subdivision, slightly blue-grey white; just an island, very light minty green
11. Organize your polygons and labels in the table of contents on the bar on the left
12. Take a screenshot

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Norwegian and Icelandic Christianisation was in the late 10th and early 1th century. Swedish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 11th or 12th. Danish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 12th. Younger Futhark gave way to Latin in the mid-12th, and even then runes continued to be the primary written system for the native languages of Scandinavia. It gradually faded out from use between the 13th and 18th centuries. This means that any contact with Scandinavians was either over a very long period of time or very late in the period. As the warm period fades, contact is probably lost. (After all, if contact is not lost then the island would be explored enough that Northwestern European countries would know that it is an island.) I would say that the island was rediscovered by Giovanni Caboto is his first voyage to the Americas (1497/1498). With the absence of contact with any ecclesiastical authority, the island's form of Christianity (syncretic traditional beliefs and 13th century Catholicism) would be unrecognisable to the Renaissance Christians and tragicomically persecuted as a pagan faith. The island would probably become an English colony filled with English settlers. However, there are problems with the basic premise: reaching the island at all seems implausible as the Vikings never strayed so far from the coast. In fact, I do not understand how the island could be settled in the first place by a mixed Neolithic European/Paleo-Indian stock at the stated time period. A lower sea level during the ice age sounds plausible, but not one land bridge for every continent that is nearby. Newfoundland would not even be settled until 9000 Before Present. Iceland was not settled until Irish monks came there, and even they came only temporarily. Greenland is not known to have been settled before 2500 BCE. The British Isles are way too far to be a realistic area to settle from, even though they were already inhabited.

You should read about Bermuda, another isolated island closest to America yet far from the coast that was uninhabited before European discovery, as well as Tasmania, whose peoples lost contact with Australia after the Ice Age ended. The land bridge connecting the islands disappeared, and the technology regressed to prevent overhunting.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Orthography

If the historical phonology section didn't confuse you, maybe this will clear some things up. The letters of the Estotian alphabet are as follows:

Aa Bb Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Rr Ss Tt Tjtj Uu Vv Yy

It includes the following digraphs:

aa ee oo ai au
sj hj

Now, an explanation for each of these starting with the vowels:

o - [ɔ] in all dialects
oo - [oː] in all dialects
e - [ɛ] in all dialects; some instances result from historical
ee - [eː] in all dialects
u - , or maybe really more like [ʊ] (except word-finally?), in all dialects
y - [iː] in most dialects, [yː] in some very conservative dialects
i - commonly [iː], but many dialects diphthongized it to [əi̯] or [ai̯] (the latter producing a merger with ai below). Before the fronting of historical [uː] to [yː], [iː] caused palatalization of [t] to [ʃ], which I’ll discuss more below.
ai - an “original” diphthong, [ai̯] in all dialects
au - an “original” diphthong, [au̯] in all dialects
a - [a] or maybe more like [æ] or [æ̞] or [a̝]
aa - Original [aː] merged with [ɛ] in some dialects and [ɔ] in others.

Consonants:

b - b; sometimes lenited to [v] in rapid or casual speech
d - [d]; devoiced to [θ] in certain environments in certain dialects
f - [f] in all dialects
g - [x] in virtually all dialects; the speech of some older people in conservative dialects may retain [ɣ]
h - [h] in all dialects
j - [j] in all dialects; in the speech of some young people it may be pronounced as [ç] or [ʝ] in certain environments
k - [k]; voiced to [g] in certain assimilatory environments
l - [l]; many dialects pronounce it as [j] after t; some dialects vocalize it to [u̯] word-finally or before a consonant
m - [m] in all dialects
n - [n] in all dialects
p - [p] in all dialects; voiced to b in certain assimilatory environments
r - [ɾ], silent word-finally or before a consonant in some dialects
s - [s] in all dialects
t - [t] in all dialects; voiced to [d] in certain assimilatory environments
tj - [ʃ] in all dialects; originates from a variant of the sequence ti; treated as an own letter to all extents, including when alphabetizing
v - [f] in all dialects
sj - [ç] in all dialects
hj - [ç] in all dialects.

Some argue there should be some sort of spelling reform to get rid of the duplicate spellings sj and hj, adn perhaps to consider one or the other as its own letter, as they have been consistently pronounced [ç] for centuries, but it's a contentious issue, and there are also other sequences that are not even officially digraphs that are often pronounced [ç], such as gj /xj/

When the /ti/ > /ʃ/ shift occurred, the convention of using the variant j for i for the sake of avoiding ambiguity was adopted. Tj is now used to represent foreign words with /ʃ/, and in conjuction with t to represent foreign /tʃ͜/ - which is just a cluster, not a true phonological affricate, in Estotian. Examples of various loanwords:

Moktja - moksha, the Hindu paradise
Tjia or Tji'a - Shia or Shi'a, the sect of Islam
Tjamatj - Shamas, the Mesopotamian deity
Patja - Pasha, the Ottoman title
Ttjile - Chile, the country
tjoo - a talk show or variety program on television, from English "show"
sutji - sushi, the food
Last edited by Porphyrogenitos on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

I'll be honest, everything I wrote about the island's history is just a big handwave, and subject to further change.
mèþru wrote:In fact, I do not understand how the island could be settled in the first place by a mixed Neolithic European/Paleo-Indian stock at the stated time period. A lower sea level during the ice age sounds plausible, but not one land bridge for every continent that is nearby. Newfoundland would not even be settled until 9000 Before Present. Iceland was not settled until Irish monks came there, and even they came only temporarily. Greenland is not known to have been settled before 2500 BCE. The British Isles are way too far to be a realistic area to settle from, even though they were already inhabited.

You should read about Bermuda, another isolated island closest to America yet far from the coast that was uninhabited before European discovery, as well as Tasmania, whose peoples lost contact with Australia after the Ice Age ended. The land bridge connecting the islands disappeared, and the technology regressed to prevent overhunting.
Basically, I know about the Soultrean hypothesis, which I know isn't generally accepted, but isn't crackpottery, either - so basically I just said, "Okay, it was them, and whatever Paleo-Indians who joined them." Newfoundland wasn't settled till 9000 BP? Okay, sure, Estotiland wasn't settled will some centuries after that. Let's say it happened because of a raft that got blown off-course in a storm.
mèþru wrote:Norwegian and Icelandic Christianisation was in the late 10th and early 1th century. Swedish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 11th or 12th. Danish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 12th. Younger Futhark gave way to Latin in the mid-12th, and even then runes continued to be the primary written system for the native languages of Scandinavia. It gradually faded out from use between the 13th and 18th centuries. This means that any contact with Scandinavians was either over a very long period of time or very late in the period.
The Norse thing is a definite issue. I am admittedly not well-versed in Norse history. I guess I'll say that Christianity and animal husbandry was introduced in the 1100s by Norse from Greenland or Iceland who were (of course!) blown off-course in a storm and who then attempted to establish trading contacts for some decades but then gave up because of the distance and desolation of the island. And there would definitely be inscriptions early on in runes, but I think the Latin alphabet would have become established for the few who did write because of its use by the priests who were brought to the island.
mèþru wrote:The island would probably become an English colony filled with English settlers.
I would also imagine that the introduction of animal husbandry would have given the natives sufficient population base to avoid extinction and colonization by the English. But even so, look at Labrador today - its population is even more sparse than Newfoundland, and there is still a major indigenous population, despite it having nominally been a "British colony" for centuries. ("Nominally" in the sense that it was so sparsely populated that vast areas would have hardly been subject to any real government control.)
mèþru wrote:As the warm period fades, contact is probably lost. (After all, if contact is not lost then the island would be explored enough that Northwestern European countries would know that it is an island.) I would say that the island was rediscovered by Giovanni Caboto is his first voyage to the Americas (1497/1498).
Undoubtedly, this is basically what I imagine happened.
mèþru wrote:With the absence of contact with any ecclesiastical authority, the island's form of Christianity (syncretic traditional beliefs and 13th century Catholicism) would be unrecognisable to the Renaissance Christians and tragicomically persecuted as a pagan faith.
This is true, but I don't imagine it would have become particularly syncretized. Not to the point of unrecognizability. Greenland still managed to practice Catholicism despite less and less contact with the rest of Christian world during the last few centuries of Norse settlement. More relevantly, I would suggest reading about the case of Socotra, which, despite extreme isolation from the rest of the Christian world, practiced Nestorian Christianity for centuries with a bishop appointed by the Patriarch of the East. Though even when the bishops stopped coming, they still practiced Christianity, though in increasingly "debased" forms which eventually did come to resemble paganism, and were tragicomically persecuted by Portuguese Catholics (who admittedly persecuted Eastern Christians wherever they went, not just the ones who had become "debased").

You know, I was about to argue that Estotian Christianity wouldn't have become distorted to the extent of Socotran Christianity, but I just realized the time frames are actually more in favor of Socotra.

Socotra: ~1300 years of sporadic contact, 350 years of no contact (from the Muslim conquest c. 1500 to the last recorded mention of Christianity on the island c. 1750)
Estotiland: ~50 years of sporadic contact, 350 years of no contact

And I was going to concede the ultimate point anyways, that even if they wouldn't actually be persecuted by Renaissance/Reformation Christians, they would be quickly brought back into the mainstream by whatever means. So okay.

They were probably converted back to mainstream Christianity by the post-Reformation Danish or English. Compare the case of St. Kilda in Scotland, whose few inhabitants essentially practiced a form of paganism mixed with a tiny bit of Christianity all the way up until they were converted to Calvinism in 1822.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:Norwegian and Icelandic Christianisation was in the late 10th and early 1th century. Swedish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 11th or 12th. Danish Christianisation was from the 9th century to the 12th. Younger Futhark gave way to Latin in the mid-12th, and even then runes continued to be the primary written system for the native languages of Scandinavia. It gradually faded out from use between the 13th and 18th centuries. This means that any contact with Scandinavians was either over a very long period of time or very late in the period. As the warm period fades, contact is probably lost. (After all, if contact is not lost then the island would be explored enough that Northwestern European countries would know that it is an island.) I would say that the island was rediscovered by Giovanni Caboto is his first voyage to the Americas (1497/1498). With the absence of contact with any ecclesiastical authority, the island's form of Christianity (syncretic traditional beliefs and 13th century Catholicism) would be unrecognisable to the Renaissance Christians and tragicomically persecuted as a pagan faith. The island would probably become an English colony filled with English settlers. However, there are problems with the basic premise: reaching the island at all seems implausible as the Vikings never strayed so far from the coast. In fact, I do not understand how the island could be settled in the first place by a mixed Neolithic European/Paleo-Indian stock at the stated time period. A lower sea level during the ice age sounds plausible, but not one land bridge for every continent that is nearby. Newfoundland would not even be settled until 9000 Before Present. Iceland was not settled until Irish monks came there, and even they came only temporarily. Greenland is not known to have been settled before 2500 BCE. The British Isles are way too far to be a realistic area to settle from, even though they were already inhabited.
I'm thinking something similar with the Christianity on Frisland. The natives did already have beliefs which made them more receptive to Christianity, strong monotheism in particular. I do, however, have a slightly different reason for the loss of contact: the island periodically disappears off the face of the earth, and the last times it appeared were in about the 9th-10th and 15th-16th centuries, respectively (why this should be the case is another story...). These periods of presence on the planet have left their mark on the language in the form of Norse and Basque loanwords, respectively.

As for the settlement, I think perhaps I will use the conceit of Pre-Indo-Europeans fleeing Britain at some earlier time period, perhaps from the Celts, perhaps from internal conflict.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Frislander wrote: I'm thinking something similar with the Christianity on Frisland. The natives did already have beliefs which made them more receptive to Christianity, strong monotheism in particular. I do, however, have a slightly different reason for the loss of contact: the island periodically disappears off the face of the earth, and the last times it appeared were in about the 9th-10th and 15th-16th centuries, respectively (why this should be the case is another story...). These periods of presence on the planet have left their mark on the language in the form of Norse and Basque loanwords, respectively.

As for the settlement, I think perhaps I will use the conceit of Pre-Indo-Europeans fleeing Britain at some earlier time period, perhaps from the Celts, perhaps from internal conflict.
Where is your Frisland located, out of curiosity? Do you have a map?

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Frislander wrote:the island periodically disappears off the face of the earth
Where does it go when it disappears? What happens to its people? Surely, they have accounts of that?
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I think Labrador was unsettled mainly because it is extremely cold and far away from existing settlements, as well as not being able to support agriculture or having then known resources. The Europeans probably would find it difficult to compete with the Amerinds for food.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Socotra remained in contact with the Eastern Church and was regularly visited by traders. Even in the latter days of the colony, the Pope still appointed bishops for Greenland. Estotiland would not have such contact for four to two and a half centuries.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
Frislander wrote: I'm thinking something similar with the Christianity on Frisland. The natives did already have beliefs which made them more receptive to Christianity, strong monotheism in particular. I do, however, have a slightly different reason for the loss of contact: the island periodically disappears off the face of the earth, and the last times it appeared were in about the 9th-10th and 15th-16th centuries, respectively (why this should be the case is another story...). These periods of presence on the planet have left their mark on the language in the form of Norse and Basque loanwords, respectively.

Where is your Frisland located, out of curiosity? Do you have a map?
Its actually on the map given in the OP (and quite large too). I don't have a map myself (and don't know how to make one), but I think it's about equidistant from the UK and Iceland in a north-westerly and southerly direction respectively.
WeepingElf wrote:
Frislander wrote:the island periodically disappears off the face of the earth
Where does it go when it disappears? What happens to its people? Surely, they have accounts of that?
Well the Frislanders themselves say they go into a place with more direct contact with God, but apart from that nobody knows. Abduction by aliens? Sinking under the sea? Slipping into some parallel universe? Whatever happens the people themselves seem unaffected; the normal patterns of linguistic and cultural change and shift still take place in their absence, though it's worth noting that the only non-Christians on Frisland seem to be restricted to foreign visitors and one or two natives born after they last last returned.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

It is a pun on phantom island.
kårroť