Game: Let's Reform Languages Other than English

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Game: Let's Reform Languages Other than English

Post by StrangerCoug »

Inspired by the Let's Reform English thread, this is for non-English languages. (To answer a question I anticipate, the spirit of this thread was for natlangs, but I don't intend to enforce a prohibition on conlangs.) Most of the rules are the same as in the original game except applied to the language in question. Here, there is the additional rule that the poster who makes a new sentence must also provide a translation and preferably a gloss for each word (so make sure you're familiar with the language you use for the starting sentence!); to save space, subsequent posters are required to repost the gloss only if they make a grammatical change and are not required to repeat the translation.

Let's begin by reforming Spanish:

<En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla de algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino de añadidura los domingos, consumían las tres cuartas partes de su hacienda. El resto della concluían sayo de velarte, calzas de velludo para las fiestas, con sus pantuflos de lo mismo, y los días de entresemana se honraba con su vellorí de lo más fino.>

[e̞n un lu.ˈɣ̞aɾ ð̞e̞ la ˈman.t͡ʃa | de̞ ˈku.ʝo̞ ˈno̞m.bɾe̞ ˈno̞ ˈkje̞.ɾo̞ a.ko̞ɾ.ˈð̞aɾ.me̞ | ˈno̞ a ˈmu.t͡ʃo̞ ˈtje̞m.po̞ ke̞ β̞i.ˈβ̞i.a un i.ˈð̞al.ɣ̞o̞ ð̞e̞ ˈlo̞s ð̞e̞ ˈlan.θa e̞n as.ti.ˈʎe̞.ɾo̞ | a.ˈð̞aɾ.ɣ̞a an.ti.ˈɣ̞wa | ro̞.ˈθin fla.ko̞ i ˈɣ̞al.ɣ̞o̞ ko̞.re̞.ˈð̞o̞ɾ ‖ ˈu.na ˈo̞.ʎa ð̞e̞ ˈal.ɣ̞o̞ ˈmas ˈβ̞a.ka ke̞ kaɾ.ˈne̞.ɾo̞ | sal.pi.ˈko̞n las ˈmas ˈno̞.t͡ʃe̞s | ˈð̞we̞.lo̞s i ke̞ˈβ̞ɾan.to̞s lo̞s ˈsa.β̞a.ð̞o̞s | le̞nˈte̞.xas lo̞s ˈβ̞je̞ɾ.ne̞s | al.ˈɣ̞un pa.lo̞.ˈmi.no̞ ð̞e̞ a.ɲa.ð̞i.ˈð̞u.ɾa lo̞s ð̞o̞.ˈmiŋ.ɡo̞s | ko̞n.su.ˈmi.an las ˈtɾe̞s ˈkwaɾ.tas ˈpaɾ.te̞s ð̞e̞ ˈsu a.ˈθje̞n.da ‖ e̞l ˈre̞s.to̞ ˈð̞e̞.ʎa ko̞ŋ.klu.ˈi.an ˈsa.ʝo̞ ð̞e̞ β̞e̞.ˈlaɾ.te̞ | kal.ˈθas ð̞e̞ β̞e̞.ˈʎu.ð̞o̞ ˈpa.ɾa las ˈfje̞.stas | ko̞n ˈsus pan.ˈtu.flo̞s ð̞e̞ lo̞ ˈmis.mo̞ | ˈi lo̞s ˈð̞i.as ð̞e̞ e̞n.tɾe̞.se̞.ˈma.na se̞ o̞n.ˈra.β̞a ko̞n su β̞e̞.ʎo̞.ˈɾi ð̞e̞ lo̞ ˈmas ˈfi.no̞ ‖]

in ART.INDEF.M place of ART.DEF.F stain, of whose.M name not want-1SG remember-INF-1SG.REFL, not have.AUX-3S much.M time that live.3S.IMPRF ART.INDEF.M gentleman of ART.DEF.M-PL of lance in lance.rack, buckler old.f, hack thin.M and greyhound.M runner.M. ART.INDEF.F pot of something more cow than mutton, salad ART.DEF.F-PL more night-PL, pain-PL and sorrow-PL ART.DEF.M.PL Saturday-PL, lentil-PL ART.DEF.M-PL Friday.PL, some.M pigeon of addition ART.DEF.M.PL Sunday-PL, consume.3PL.IMPRF ART.DEF.F-PL three quarter.F-PL PARTES of 3SG.POSS fortune. ART.DEF.M rest of-3SG.OBJ.F finish.3PL.IMPRF tunic of broadcloth, breeches of velvet for ART.DEF.F-PL party-PL, with 3PL.POSS slipper-PL of ART.DEF.N same, and ART.DEF.M-PL day-PL of inter-week 3.REFL honor-3SG.IMPRF with 3SG.POSS fleece of ART.DEF.N more fine.M.

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, there lived not long since one of those gentlemen that keep a lance in the lance-rack, an old buckler, a lean hack, and a greyhound for coursing. An olla of rather more beef than mutton, a salad on most nights, scraps on Saturdays, lentils on Fridays and a pigeon or so extra on Sundays, made away with three-quarters of his income. The rest of it went in a doublet of fine cloth and velvet breeches and shoes to match for holidays, while on week-days he made a brave figure in his best homespun.

(This took a good while to do... *pant, pant*)

From there:
  1. /s/ becomes /t͡s/ after a pause or nasal, following the same distribution pattern as /b~β̞ d~ð̞ ɡ~ɣ̞ ɟ͡ʝ~ʝ/ for the most part (despite ɟ͡ʝ not being in the sample)
  2. t͡ʃ :> ʃ EXCEPT after a pause or nasal.
  3. ʝ :> ʒ
  4. ɣ̞w :> ɰ
  5. ð̞ :> ɹ
  6. e̞ o̞ :> e o / _$
  7. e̞ o̞ :> ɛ ɔ otherwise.
[ɛn un lu.ˈɣ̞aɾ ɹe la ˈman.t͡ʃa | de ˈku.ʒo ˈnɔm.bɾe ˈno ˈkje.ɾo a.kɔɾ.ˈɹaɾ.me | ˈno a ˈmu.ʃo ˈtjɛm.po ke β̞i.ˈβ̞i.a un i.ˈɹal.ɣ̞o ɹe ˈlɔs ɹe ˈlan.θa ɛn as.ti.ˈʎe.ɾo | a.ˈɹaɾ.ɣ̞a an.ti.ˈɰa | rɔ.ˈθin fla.ko i ˈɣ̞al.ɣ̞o ko.rɛ.ˈɹɔɾ ‖ ˈu.na ˈo.ʎa ɹe ˈal.ɣ̞o ˈmas ˈβ̞a.ka ke kaɾ.ˈne.ɾo | t͡sal.pi.ˈkɔn las ˈmas ˈno.ʃɛs | ˈɹwe.lɔs i ke̞ˈβ̞ɾan.tɔs lɔs ˈsa.β̞a.ɹɔs | lɛnˈte.xas lɔs ˈβ̞jɛɾ.nɛs | al.ˈɣ̞un pa.lɔ.ˈmi.no ɹe a.ɲa.ɹi.ˈɹu.ɾa lɔs ɹɔ.ˈmiŋ.ɡɔs | kɔn.t͡su.ˈmi.an las ˈtɾɛs ˈkwaɾ.tas ˈpaɾ.tɛs ɹe ˈsu a.ˈθjɛn.da ‖ ɛl ˈrɛs.to ˈɹe.ʎa kɔŋ.klu.ˈi.an ˈsa.ʒo ɹe β̞ɛ.ˈlaɾ.te | kal.ˈθas ɹe β̞ɛ.ˈʎu.ɹo ˈpa.ɾa las ˈfje.stas | kɔn ˈsus pan.ˈtu.flɔs ɹe lo ˈmis.mo | ˈi lɔs ˈɹi.as ɹe ɛn.tɾe.sɛ.ˈma.na se ɔn.ˈra.β̞a kɔn su β̞e.ʎɔ.ˈɾi ɹe lo ˈmas ˈfi.no ‖]
More: show
<En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla de algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino de añadidura los domingos, consumían las tres cuartas partes de su hacienda. El resto della concluían sayo de velarte, calzas de velludo para las fiestas, con sus pantuflos de lo mismo, y los días de entresemana se honraba con su vellorí de lo más fino.>

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, there lived not long since one of those gentlemen that keep a lance in the lance-rack, an old buckler, a lean hack, and a greyhound for coursing. An olla of rather more beef than mutton, a salad on most nights, scraps on Saturdays, lentils on Fridays and a pigeon or so extra on Sundays, made away with three-quarters of his income. The rest of it went in a doublet of fine cloth and velvet breeches and shoes to match for holidays, while on week-days he made a brave figure in his best homespun.
Last edited by StrangerCoug on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Alon
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Game: Let's Reform Languages Other than English

Post by Alon »

My far-future English conlang has a phase of rapid change in the 25th century, in which it both undergoes rapid internal change (roughly modeled on JBR's Futurese's Great Vowel Breaking) and absorbs a lot of vocabulary from other languages, especially Spanish and Chinese. For this, I had to have some idea of what Spanish and Chinese would look like by the 25th century.

For Spanish, I came up with a specifically Mexican set of changes, in which unstressed final vowels are blurred into schwas, and then drop, subject to loose phonotactic constraints. This also happens if they are followed by /s/. /ɾ/ tends to undergo metathesis (otros, otras > orts) or epenthesis (otros, otras > oters) or just drop if there's influence from a neighboring language (hombre, nombre > hom, nom). Thus, casa > cas, pastas > pasts, caballos > cabays, but casas > cases. Final /b d g/ in unstressed syllables that would drop if they weren't there tend to vocalize, with /b/ > /u̯/ and /d g/ > either /u̯/ or /i̯/ depending on whether they're preceded by front or back vowels. /ʃ/, already mostly phonemic in Mexican Spanish due to Nahuatl vocabulary, becomes fully phonemic due to borrowings from English, Hindustani, and Chinese. In English borrowings there's a further tendency to borrow /ɲ/ as /jn/ when /nj/ would be phonotactically illegal: thus sueño > sueñ /sweɲ/, borrowed into English as /sweɪn/ before ending up as /swen/ <suen> with internal English changes (similarly, grain > gren, game > gem).

Syntactically, the collapse of final vowels at the same time - rather than centuries apart, as in French - leads to the collapse of the grammatical gender system. Already by the 22nd century, grammatical gender in spoken Mexican is reduced to memorizing which nouns go with which pronouns. As the written standard is updated to reflect changes in the spoken language, reinforced by Mexico's preeminent economic position within Latin America starting in the mid-23rd century, a new pronoun is synthesized, eil, a portmanteau of el and ey < ella. This is also borrowed into English, as il (cf. fate > fid, face > fis). In verb conjugation, pronouns become mandatory, even when the ending is unambiguous, as in French.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Umm... Are people forgetting to read the word "Game" at the beginning of the title? This is supposed to be the foreign-language version of "Let's Reform English" xD

Proto-Wideriver

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I am not really familiar with Spanish, yet I still want to use your text. Is it legal to not post the gloss if it is just a continuation of the previous text's reformation and there are only phonological changes?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

I haven't been following the "Let's Reform English" thread at all, but just looking at the first page it seems all people do is apply phonological changes, even though the opening post said something about changing the grammar too. Ehhh, I added a grammatical change below anyway.

I think the text is a little bit too long: using just the first sentence would've been better...

1. tr, rt -> ʈ
2. ɾɹ, ɹɾ -> ɻ (but not across word boundaries as in lugar de)
3. nr, ɾn -> ɳ
4. añadidura undergoes haplology to añadura
5. articles are dropped after a preposition (note this doesn't include the lo that marks adjectives when they're the head of an NP, as in lo mismo and lo más fino)
6. the preposition de loses the /d/ due to its high frequency

(I also added a stress mark to flaco, which you happened to forget to add. I also syllabified fiestas as [fjes.tas].)
[ɛn lu.ˈɣ̞aɾ e la ˈman.t͡ʃa | de ˈku.ʒo ˈnɔm.bɾe ˈno ˈkje.ɾo a.kɔ.ˈɻaɾ.me | ˈno a ˈmu.ʃo ˈtjɛm.po ke β̞i.ˈβ̞i.a un i.ˈɹal.ɣ̞o e ˈlɔs e ˈlan.θa ɛn as.ti.ˈʎe.ɾo | a.ˈɹaɾ.ɣ̞a an.ti.ˈɰa | rɔ.ˈθin ˈfla.ko i ˈɣ̞al.ɣ̞o ko.rɛ.ˈɹɔɾ ‖ ˈu.na ˈo.ʎa e ˈal.ɣ̞o ˈmas ˈβ̞a.ka ke ka.ˈɳe.ɾo | t͡sal.pi.ˈkɔn las ˈmas ˈno.ʃɛs | ˈɹwe.lɔs i ke̞ˈβ̞ɾan.tɔs lɔs ˈsa.β̞a.ɹɔs | lɛnˈte.xas lɔs ˈβ̞jɛ.ɳɛs | al.ˈɣ̞un pa.lɔ.ˈmi.no e a.ɲa.ˈɹu.ɾa lɔs ɹɔ.ˈmiŋ.ɡɔs | kɔn.t͡su.ˈmi.an las ˈʈɛs ˈkwa.ʈas ˈpa.ʈɛs e ˈsu a.ˈθjɛn.da ‖ ɛl ˈrɛs.to ˈe.ʎa kɔŋ.klu.ˈi.an ˈsa.ʒo e β̞ɛ.ˈla.ʈe | kal.ˈθas e β̞ɛ.ˈʎu.ɹo ˈpa.ɾa ˈfjes.tas | kɔn ˈsus pan.ˈtu.flɔs e lo ˈmis.mo | ˈi lɔs ˈɹi.as e ɛɳ.ʈe.sɛ.ˈma.na se ɔ.ˈɳa.β̞a kɔn su β̞e.ʎɔ.ˈɾi e lo ˈmas ˈfi.no ‖]

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

mèþru wrote:I am not really familiar with Spanish, yet I still want to use your text. Is it legal to not post the gloss if it is just a continuation of the previous text's reformation and there are only phonological changes?
I'll allow it to save space and edit it in the rules.
Serafín wrote:(I also added a stress mark to flaco, which you happened to forget to add. I also syllabified fiestas as [fjes.tas].)
Oops :oops:
  1. Retroactively stripped the /d/ from an instance of <de> that erroneously kept it and moved an accent mark that was in the wrong spot.
  2. ɾ :> d, with subsequent resyllabifications to avoid two stops in the same onset or violations of the sonority hierarchy.
  3. Unstressed final /e o/ becomes /i u/.
  4. Stops, affricates, and fricatives voice when adjacent to nasals.
[ɛn lu.ˈɣ̞ad i la ˈman.d͡ʒa | di ˈku.ʒu ˈnɔmb.di ˈno ˈkje.du a.kɔ.ˈɻad.mi | ˈno a ˈmu.ʃu ˈtjɛm.bu ki β̞i.ˈβ̞i.a un i.ˈɹal.ɣ̞u i ˈlɔs i ˈlan.ða ɛn as.ti.ˈʎe.du | a.ˈɹad.ɣ̞a an.di.ˈɰa | rɔ.ˈθin ˈfla.ku i ˈɣ̞al.ɣ̞u ko.rɛ.ˈɹɔd ‖ ˈu.na ˈo.ʎa i ˈal.ɣ̞u ˈmas ˈβ̞a.ka ki ka.ˈɳe.du | t͡sal.pi.ˈkɔn las ˈmas ˈno.ʃɛs | ˈɹwe.lɔs i ke̞β̞.ˈdan.dɔs lɔs ˈsa.β̞a.ɹɔs | lɛn.ˈde.xas lɔs ˈβ̞jɛ.ɳɛs | al.ˈɣ̞un pa.lɔ.ˈmi.nu i a.ɲa.ˈɹu.da lɔs ɹɔ.ˈmiŋ.ɡɔs | kɔn.d͡zu.ˈmi.an las ˈʈɛs ˈkwa.ʈas ˈpa.ʈɛs i ˈsu a.ˈθjɛn.da ‖ ɛl ˈrɛs.tu ˈe.ʎa kɔŋ.ɡlu.ˈi.an ˈsa.ʒu i β̞ɛ.ˈla.ʈi | ˈkal.θas i β̞ɛ.ˈʎu.ɹu ˈpa.da ˈfjes.tas | kɔn ˈsus pan.ˈdu.flɔs i lu ˈmiz.mu | ˈi lɔs ˈɹi.as i ɛɳ.ɖe.sɛ.ˈma.na si ɔ.ˈɳa.β̞a kɔn su β̞e.ʎɔ.ˈdi i lu ˈmas ˈfi.nu ‖]
Last edited by StrangerCoug on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Proto-Wideriver

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Retroactively stripped the /d/ from an instance of <de> that erroneously kept it and moved an accent mark that was in the wrong spot.
Well, there was a pause before it, so it being [d] was fine...

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I put it back, then.

Proto-Wideriver

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

.//_
ɣ̞/ɰ/_
β̞/w/_
d/t/_#
b/p/_#
g/k/_#
u/ʊ/#C_#
a/ä/#C_#
u//_#/ˈ(C)(C)(C)_
a//_#/V_
ʊ/u/_
ä/a/_
ɰ/ʕ/_
Cʕ/\\/_
aʕ/ɑ/_
ʕ//_C
l/ɭ/_
ɾ/ɽ/_
ɹ/l̪/_
ʎ/j/_
e̞/e/_
/˞/V_(ˈ)[ɳɖʐɻɽɭ]
ɻ/l̪/_
ɭ//_#
ɭ//_C
z/ʐ/_
s/ʂ/_
ð/z/_
θ/s/_
d͡ʒ/ɟ/_
t͡ʃ/c/_
ʃ/ç/_
ʒ/j/_
i/j/_V
l̪/l̪ʲ/_[ieɛ]
ɭ/ʎ/_[ieɛ]
ɭ/ʎ/[ieɛ](˞)_
/ː/ˈ(C)(C)(C)V_
/ʔ/#_V
/ʔ/V(˞)_#/#CV_#
ʂ//_#
ˈ//_
/ˈ/#_
[ˈʔɛn ˈɭuʕaːt ˈʔi ˈɭa ˈmaːnɟ ˈ| ˈdi ˈkuːj ˈnɔːmbdiʔ ˈnoː ˈkjeːd ˈʔakɔ˞l̪aːdmiʔ ˈ| ˈnoː ˈa ˈmuːç ˈtjɛːmb ˈki ˈwiwjaː ˈʔun ˈʔil̪ɑː˞ ˈʔi ˈɭɔː ˈʔi ˈɭaːnz ˈʔɛn ˈʔaʂtijeːd ˈ| ˈʔal̪ɑːd ˈʔandiʕ ˈ| ˈrɔsiːn ˈfɭaːk ˈʔi ˈʕɑː˞ ˈkorɛl̪ɔːt ˈ‖ ˈuːn ˈoːj ˈʔi ˈɑː˞ ˈmaː ˈwaːk ˈki ˈka˞ɳeːd ˈ| ˈt͡ʂa˞pikɔːn ˈɭa ˈmaː ˈnoːçɛ ˈ| ˈl̪weː˞ʎɔ ˈʔi ˈkewdaːndɔ ˈɭɔ ˈʂaːwal̪ɔ ˈ| ˈʎɛndeːxa ˈɭɔ ˈwjɛː˞ɳɛ ˈ| ˈʔa˞ɭʕuːn ˈpa˞ɭɔmiːn ˈʔi ˈʔaɲal̪uːd ˈɭɔ ˈl̪ɔmiːŋɡɔ ˈ| ˈkɔnd͡ʐumjaːn ˈɭa ˈʈɛ ˈkwaːʈa ˈpaːʈɛ ˈʔi ˈsu ˈʔasjɛːnd ˈ‖ ˈʔɛ˞ʔ ˈrɛːʂt ˈeːj ˈkɔŋɡɭujaːn ˈʂaːj ˈʔi ˈwɛ˞ɭaːʈiʔ ˈ| ˈkaː˞sa ˈʔi ˈwɛjuːl̪ ˈpaːd ˈfjeːʂta ˈ| ˈkɔn ˈʂuː ˈpanduːfɭɔ ˈʔi ˈɭu ˈmiːʐm ˈ| ˈiː ˈɭɔ ˈl̪jaː ˈʔi ˈʔɛ˞ɳɖeʂɛmaːn ˈʂi ˈʔɔ˞ɳaːw ˈkɔn ˈʂu ˈwejɔdiː ˈʔi ˈɭu ˈmaː ˈfiːn ˈ‖]

<En lugar 'e la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo 'e los 'e lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla 'e algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino 'e añadura los domingos, consumían las tres cuartas partes de su hacienda. El resto della concluían sayo 'e velarte, calzas 'e velludo para fiestas, con sus pantuflos 'e lo mismo, y los días 'e entresemana se honraba con su vellorí 'e lo más fino.>

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

in almost no dialect of spanish, maybe some people in peru and a few marginal others, is there ʎ.
and the vaaaast vast majority of hispanohablantes speak without the θ thing.
jussayin

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Also, aren't like all the nasal and oral stops supposed to be dental rather than alveolar?

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Torco wrote:in almost no dialect of spanish, maybe some people in peru and a few marginal others, is there ʎ.
and the vaaaast vast majority of hispanohablantes speak without the θ thing.
I decided to transcribe it in a conservative variety of Castilian (i.e. you have distinción, and yeísmo is not in effect).
Vijay wrote:Also, aren't like all the nasal and oral stops supposed to be dental rather than alveolar?
Didn't want to transcribe THAT narrowly. After all, it's just a game and we're supposed to have fun :P

Proto-Wideriver

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

StrangerCoug wrote:
Vijay wrote:Also, aren't like all the nasal and oral stops supposed to be dental rather than alveolar?
Didn't want to transcribe THAT narrowly. After all, it's just a game and we're supposed to have fun :P
Well, if you have [e̞] and [ð̞] and what not...:P

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Pretend they're there, then.

Proto-Wideriver

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Sound changes: (long)
  1. Vowels lose length in monosyllables.
  2. /wj/ becomes /w/ before back vowels, /j/ everywhere else.
  3. /ʕ/ is lost at the end of a diphthong. Preceding vowels lengthen (long vowels become overlong).
  4. Open-mid vowels become close-mid in all syllables except closed syllables. Close-mid vowels become open-mid in closed syllables. (This rule stays productive for the rest of my list.)
  5. All cases of <de> are now elided.
  6. Front vowels become near back vowels before or after /ʔ/, and back vowels partially lose rounding. /ʔ/ is lost except intervocalically, including across word boundaries.
  7. Vowels in a falling diphthong with /w/ or /j/ become round or front vowels respectively. The triggering semivowels are lost. Preceding vowels lengthen (long vowels are made overlong) . All vowels are now clear - remaining /j w ʕ/ are now interpreted as simply being part of the onset rather than part of the vowel.
  8. Back (not near-back) unrounded vowels (except for /ɑ/) shift to the center. Near-back vowels become rounded, but remain distinct from back vowels.
  9. /ɒ̟/ becomes /wɑ/.
  10. /ɶ/ becomes /ø/
  11. Long rhotacised central vowels become /ə/.
  12. All rhotacised vowels become /ɚ/ and lose lengthening, unless if stressed. In that case, they only lose lengthening. /ɚ/ is derhotacised if it has a coda.
  13. /ʕɑ/ becomes /ɑː/. /ʕɑ˞/ becomes /ɑː/
  14. Long vowels become short unless if they are stressed. Overlong vowels become long. (This rule stays productive for the rest of my list.)
  15. Consonants (except for pharyngeanls, glottals and glides) become long after a long vowel. The vowel becomes short. This happens across word boundaries.
  16. Dentals/Alveolars + /j/ create true palatals (stops and nasals), palato-alveolar (fricatives and affricates), or stay the same (other sounds). /j/ becomes /h/ intervocalically.
  17. /ŋɡ/ become /ɲ/.
  18. /x ʕ/ become /h/.
  19. /i/ lengthens before another short vowel.
  20. /j/ becomes /i/ before one vowel. The new syllable is never stressed.
  21. /h/ becomes [ç] before front unrounded vowels, /w/ before front rounded vowels.
  22. Front rounded vowels become back vowels after /w/.
  23. /ɭ/ becomes palatal before front vowels,/ɑ/ and consonants, /l̪/ otherwise.
  24. Rhotacised vowels other than /ɚ/ become derhotacised.
  25. Retroflexes become palatals. Affricates become fricatives.
  26. /ʒ ʝ/ become /ʑ/.
  27. Central vowels become front vowels.
  28. Orthography reform.
  29. /ʔ/ is inserted intervocalically, including across word boundaries.
/ˈɤ̟n ˈl̪u.hat ˈu̟ ˈʎa ˈmanɟ | ˈu̟ ˈkyː ˈnoː.meb.du̟ ˈno kiˈed ˈwɑ.kɚ.l̪ad.mu̟ | ˈno ˈa ˈmuç ˈcemb ˈki ˈwyːha ˈin ˈu̟.l̪ɑ ˈu̟ ˈlo ˈu̟ ˈʎanz ˈɤ̟n ˈaç.ti.çed | ˈwɑ.l̪ɑd ˈwɑn.di | ˈro.sin ˈfʎak ˈu̟ ˈɑː ˈko.re.l̪ot ‖ ˈin ˈøː ˈu̟ ˈɑ ˈma ˈwak ˈki ˈkɚ.ɲed | ˈçɚ.pi.kon ˈʎa ˈma ˈnoː.çe | ˈl̪we.ʎo ˈu̟ ˈkøː.dan.do ˈl̪o ˈçaː.wa.l̪o | ˈʎen.de.ha ˈl̪o iˈe.ɲe | ˈwɚ.l̪un ˈpɚ.l̪o.min ˈu̟ ˈwɑ.ɲa.l̪ud ˈl̪o ˈl̪o.mi.ɲo | ˈkon.ʑu.mi.an ˈʎa ˈce ˈkwaː.ca ˈpaː.ce ˈu̟ ˈsu ˈa.ʃend ‖ ˈɤ̟ ˈreçt ˈeː ˈkoɲ.l̪u.çan ˈçaː ˈu̟ ˈwɚ.ʎa.cu̟ | ˈka.sa ˈu̟ ˈwe.hul̪ ˈpad fiˈeːçta | ˈkon ˈçu ˈpan.du.fl̪o ˈu̟ ˈl̪o ˈmiʑm | ˈi ˈl̪o ˈʎa ˈu̟ ˈəɲ.ɟe.çe.man ˈçi ˈɚ.ɲø ˈkon ˈçu ˈwe.ho.di ˈu̟ ˈl̪u ˈma ˈfin ‖/
[ˈʔʌ̟n ˈl̪u.hat ˈu̟ ˈʎa ˈmanɟ | ˈdi ˈky ˈnːo.mːɛb.du̟ ˈno kiˈʔɛd ˈwɑ.kɚ.l̪ad.mu̟ | ˈno ˈʔa ˈmuç ˈcɛmb ˈki ˈwyːha ˈʔin ˈu̟.l̪ɑ ˈʔu̟ ˈlo ˈʔu̟ ˈʎanz ˈʌ̟n ˈaç.ti.çɛd | ˈwɑ.l̪ɑd ˈwɑn.di | ˈro.sin ˈfʎak ˈʔu̟ ˈʔɑː ˈko.re.l̪ɔt ‖ ˈʔin ˈøː ˈʔu̟ ˈʔɑ ˈma ˈwak ˈki ˈkɚ.ɲɛd | ˈçɚ.pi.kɔn ˈʎa ˈma ˈno.çːe | ˈl̪we.ʎo ˈʔu̟ ˈkœ.dːan.do ˈl̪o ˈçaː.wa.l̪o | ˈʎen.de.ha ˈl̪o ʔiˈʔe.ɲe | ˈwɚ.l̪un ˈpɚ.l̪o.min ˈu̟ ˈwɑ.ɲa.l̪ud ˈl̪o ˈl̪o.mi.ɲo | ˈkɔn.ʑu.mi.ʔan ˈʎa ˈce ˈkwa.cːa ˈpa.cːe ˈʔu̟ ˈsu ˈʔa.ʃɛnd ‖ ˈʔɤ̟ ˈrɛçt ˈe ˈkːɔɲ.l̪u.han ˈçaː ˈʔu̟ ˈwɚ.ʎa.cu̟ | ˈka.sa ˈʔu̟ ˈwe.hul̪ ˈpad fiˈʔeçːta | ˈkɔn ˈçu ˈpan.du.fl̪o ˈʔu̟ ˈl̪o ˈmiʑm | ˈi ˈl̪o ˈʎa ˈʔu̟ ˈʔəɲ.ɟe.çe.man ˈçi ˈʔɚ.ɲø ˈkɔn ˈçu ˈwe.ho.di ˈʔu̟ ˈl̪u ˈma ˈfin ‖]
Ọn luhat ụ lja Mandj, ụ kyy noombdụ no kjed vạkerladmụ, no a muhj tjemb ki vyyha in ụlạ ụ lo ụ ljanz ọn ahjtihjed, vạlạd vạndi, rosin fljak ụ ạạ korelot. Un øø ụ ạ ma vak ki kernjed, hjerpikon lja ma noohje, lvelo ụ køødando lo hjaavalo, ljendeha lo jernje, verlun perlomin ụ vạnjalud lo lominjo, konzjumian lja tje kvaatja paatje ụ su asjend. Ọ rehjt ee konjluhjan hjaa ụ verljatjụ, kasa ụ vehul pad fjeehjta, kon hju panduflo ụ lo mizjm, i lo lja ụ ĕnjdjehjeman hji ernjø kon hju vehodi ụ lu ma fin.
Original:
[e̞n un lu.ˈɣ̞aɾ ð̞e̞ la ˈman.t͡ʃa | de̞ ˈku.ʝo̞ ˈno̞m.bɾe̞ ˈno̞ ˈkje̞.ɾo̞ a.ko̞ɾ.ˈð̞aɾ.me̞ | ˈno̞ a ˈmu.t͡ʃo̞ ˈtje̞m.po̞ ke̞ β̞i.ˈβ̞i.a un i.ˈð̞al.ɣ̞o̞ ð̞e̞ ˈlo̞s ð̞e̞ ˈlan.θa e̞n as.ti.ˈʎe̞.ɾo̞ | a.ˈð̞aɾ.ɣ̞a an.ti.ˈɣ̞wa | ro̞.ˈθin fla.ko̞ i ˈɣ̞al.ɣ̞o̞ ko̞.re̞.ˈð̞o̞ɾ ‖ ˈu.na ˈo̞.ʎa ð̞e̞ ˈal.ɣ̞o̞ ˈmas ˈβ̞a.ka ke̞ kaɾ.ˈne̞.ɾo̞ | sal.pi.ˈko̞n las ˈmas ˈno̞.t͡ʃe̞s | ˈð̞we̞.lo̞s i ke̞ˈβ̞ɾan.to̞s lo̞s ˈsa.β̞a.ð̞o̞s | le̞nˈte̞.xas lo̞s ˈβ̞je̞ɾ.ne̞s | al.ˈɣ̞un pa.lo̞.ˈmi.no̞ ð̞e̞ a.ɲa.ð̞i.ˈð̞u.ɾa lo̞s ð̞o̞.ˈmiŋ.ɡo̞s | ko̞n.su.ˈmi.an las ˈtɾe̞s ˈkwaɾ.tas ˈpaɾ.te̞s ð̞e̞ ˈsu a.ˈθje̞n.da ‖ e̞l ˈre̞s.to̞ ˈð̞e̞.ʎa ko̞ŋ.klu.ˈi.an ˈsa.ʝo̞ ð̞e̞ β̞e̞.ˈlaɾ.te̞ | kal.ˈθas ð̞e̞ β̞e̞.ˈʎu.ð̞o̞ ˈpa.ɾa las ˈfje̞.stas | ko̞n ˈsus pan.ˈtu.flo̞s ð̞e̞ lo̞ ˈmis.mo̞ | ˈi lo̞s ˈð̞i.as ð̞e̞ e̞n.tɾe̞.se̞.ˈma.na se̞ o̞n.ˈra.β̞a ko̞n su β̞e̞.ʎo̞.ˈɾi ð̞e̞ lo̞ ˈmas ˈfi.no̞ ‖]
En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla de algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino de añadidura los domingos, consumían las tres cuartas partes de su hacienda. El resto della concluían sayo de velarte, calzas de velludo para las fiestas, con sus pantuflos de lo mismo, y los días de entresemana se honraba con su vellorí de lo más fino.
Last edited by mèþru on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

ʎ/ʝ/_
.//_
ʌ̟/ɛ/_
ɤ̟/ɔ/_
o/ə/_
u/o/_/_̟
u̟/u/_
ː/ˀ/_/V_
w/o̯/ˈ_
C//ˈ_(̪)w
ˈ̪/ˈ/_
o̯ɑ/\\/_
ɑ̯/ʕ/_
[ˈʔɛn ˈl̪ohat ˈu ˈʝa ˈmanɟ | ˈdi ˈky ˈnˀəmˀɛbdu ˈnə kiˈʔɛd ˈʕokɚl̪admu | ˈnə ˈʔa ˈmoç ˈcɛmb ˈki ˈo̯yːha ˈʔin ˈul̪ɑ ˈʔu ˈlə ˈʔu ˈʝanz ˈɛn ˈaçtiçɛd | ˈʕol̪ɑd ˈʕondi | ˈrəsin ˈfʝak ˈʔu ˈʔɑː ˈkərel̪ɔt ‖ ˈʔin ˈøː ˈʔu ˈʔɑ ˈma ˈo̯ak ˈki ˈkɚɲɛd | ˈçɚpikɔn ˈʝa ˈma ˈnəçˀe | ˈweʝə ˈʔu ˈkœdˀandə ˈl̪ə ˈçaːwal̪ə | ˈʝendeha ˈl̪ə ʔiˈʔeɲe | ˈo̯ɚl̪on ˈpɚl̪əmin ˈu ˈʕoɲal̪od ˈl̪ə ˈl̪əmiɲə | ˈkɔnʑomiʔan ˈʝa ˈce ˈwacˀa ˈpacˀe ˈʔu ˈso ˈʔaʃɛnd ‖ ˈʔɔ ˈrɛçt ˈe ˈkˀɔɲl̪ohan ˈçaː ˈʔu ˈo̯ɚʝacu | ˈkasa ˈʔu ˈo̯ehol̪ ˈpad fiˈʔeçˀta | ˈkɔn ˈço ˈpandofl̪ə ˈʔu ˈl̪ə ˈmiʑm | ˈi ˈl̪ə ˈʝa ˈʔu ˈʔəɲɟeçeman ˈçi ˈʔɚɲø ˈkɔn ˈço ˈo̯ehədi ˈʔu ˈl̪o ˈma ˈfin ‖]

<En lohat ʔu ļa Manḑ, ʔu kü n̉øm̉bdu nø kiʔed ạokɇƚadmu, nø ʔa moḩ ţemb ki oüüha ʔin ulạ ʔu lø ʔu ļanz en aḩtiḩed, ạolạd ạondi, røsin fļak ʔu ạạ k̉øreløt. ʔIn öö ʔu ʔạ ma oak ki kɇņed, ḩɇpikøn ļa ma nøøḩ̉e, uelø u kööd̉andø lø ḩaaualø, ļendeha lø ʔiʔeņe, oɇƚon pɇƚømin u ạoņalod lø lømiņø, kønz̧omiʔan ļa ţe uaţ̉a paţ̉e ʔu so aşend. ʔỌ reḩt e k̉øņloḩan ḩa ʔu oɇƚ̧aţu, kasa ʔu oehol pad fiʔeḩ̉ta, køn ḩo pandoflø ʔu lø miz̧m, i lø ļa ʔu ẹņḑeḩeman ḩi ɇņö køn ḩo oehødi ʔu lo ma fin.>

EDIT:<En lugar 'e la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo 'e los 'e lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla 'e algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino 'e añadura los domingos, consumían las tres cuartas partes de su hacienda. El resto della concluían sayo 'e velarte, calzas 'e velludo para fiestas, con sus pantuflos 'e lo mismo, y los días 'e entresemana se honraba con su vellorí 'e lo más fino.>
Last edited by opipik on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Why must you guys reform the orthography for languages? That makes it so much harder to tell what present-day word a future word corresponds to.

(Also, I think we have established that <ɇ> is a horrible grapheme, reflecting poor orthographic taste on the part of those who use it.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

No, that may be what you established. I stopped using it because I realised that a breve is better as reduced vowels and short vowels are often conflated and that the slash-e should, if I really stick to slash/bar front vowel=back unrounded pattern in some orthographies, be reserved for a back unrounded vowel, not a central vowel. The original orthography thing has a point though... I will put the original below the reform for comparison
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

New text:
This is is the first story from the Cambridge Latin Course Unit 1 4th edition. The location of the story is Pompeii before the explosion and one of the upper class in this booj is the main character of the second book, so I have tried my best to write the Latin of the time period as would have been spoken by the upper class. The words have been rewritten (u > V and so forth) to match the conventions of the time period, but the punctuation is written as in the book.
I'm not great at Classical Latin. There are probably mistakes, so I recommend on waiting for someone else to check on this. In the meanwhile, continue the Spanish game or add your own texts. If my post has mistakes, I will edit it.
This is my first gloss that I have shown to other people, so my glossing skills may be in need of improvement.
Characters:
Caecilius, a moneylender who owns the house of the story
Clemens, unnamed in the story, a slave owned by Caecilius
Metella, Caecilius' wife
Quintus, Caecilius and Metella's son
Cerberus - their dog
Grumio - their cook, also a slave owned by Caecilius
CAECILIVS EST IN HORTÓ. CAECILIVS IN HORTÓ SEDET. SERVVS EST IN ÁTRIÓ. SERVVS IN ÁTRIÓ LABÓRAT. METELLA EST IN ÁTRIÓ. METELLA IN ÁTRIÓ SEDET. QVꟾNTVS EST IN TABLꟾNÓ. QVꟾNTVS IN TABLꟾNÓ SCRꟾBIT. CERBERVS EST IN VIÁ.
COQVVS EST IN CVLꟾNÁ. COQVVS IN CVLꟾNÁ DORMIT. CERBERVS INTRAT. CERBERVS CIRCVMSPECTAT. CIBVS EST IN MÉNSÁ. CANIS SALIT. CANIS IN MÉNSÁ STAT. GRVMIÓ STERTIT. CANIS LÁTRAT. GRVMIÓ SVRGIT. COQVVS EST ꟾRÁTVS. "PESTIS! FVRCIFER!" COQVVS CLÁMAT. CERBERVS EXIT.
/kae̯ˈkɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈhɔr.toː ‖ kae̯ˈkɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈɪn ˈhɔr.toː ˈsɛ.dɛt ‖ ˈsɛr.wʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ‖ ˈsɛr.wʊs ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː läˈboː.rät ‖ mɛˈtɛl.lä ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ‖ mɛˈtɛl.lä ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ˈsɛ.dɛt ‖ ˈkʷiːn.tʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn täˈbliː.noː ‖ ˈkʷiːn.tʊs ˈɪn täˈbliː.noː ˈskriː.bɪt ‖ ˈkɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈwɪ.äː ‖
ˈkoː.kʷʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn kʊˈliː.näː ‖ ˈko.kʷʊs ˈɪn kʊˈliː.näː ˈdɔr.mɪt ‖ ˈkɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɪn.trät ‖ ˈkɛr.bɛ.rʊs kɪr.kʊmˈspɛk.tät ‖ ˈkɪ.bʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈmeːn.säː ‖ ˈkä.nɪs ˈsä.lɪt ‖ ˈkä.nɪs ˈɪn ˈmeːn.säː ˈstät ‖ ˈɡrʊ.mɪ.oː ˈstɛr.tɪt ‖ ˈkä.nɪs ˈläː.trät ‖ ˈɡrʊ.mɪ.oː ˈsʊr.ɡɪt ‖ ˈkoː.kʷʊs ˈɛst iːˈräː.tʊs ‖ ˈpɛs.tɪs ‖ ˈfʊr.kɪ.fɛr ‖ ˈkoː.kʷʊs ˈkläː.mät ‖ ˈkɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɛk.sɪt ‖/
[kʰae̯ˈkɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈhɔr.toː ‖ kʰae̯ˈkɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈɪn ˈhɔr.toː ˈsɛ.dɛt ‖ ˈsɛr.wʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ‖ ˈsɛr.wʊs ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː läˈboː.rät ‖ mɛˈtɛl.lä ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ‖ mɛˈtɛl.lä ˈɪn ˈäː.trɪ.oː ˈsɛ.dɛt ‖ ˈkᶣʰiːn.tʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn täˈbliː.noː ‖ ˈkᶣʰiːn.tʊs ˈɪn tʰäˈbliː.noː ˈskriː.bɪt ‖ ˈkʰɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈwɪ.äː ‖
ˈkʰoː.kʷʊs ˈɛst ˈɪŋ kʰʊˈliː.näː ‖ ˈkʰoː.kʷʊs ˈɪŋ kʰʊˈliː.näː ˈdɔr.mɪt ‖ ˈkʰɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɪn.trät ‖ ˈkʰɛr.bɛ.rʊs kʰɪr.kũːˈspɛk.tät ‖ ˈkʰɪ.bʊs ˈɛst ˈɪn ˈmẽː.säː ‖ ˈkʰä.nɪs ˈsä.lɪt ‖ ˈkʰä.nɪs ˈɪn ˈmẽː.säː ˈstät ‖ ˈɡrʊ.mɪ.oː ˈstɛr.tɪt ‖ ˈkʰä.nɪs ˈläː.trät ‖ ˈɡrʊ.mɪ.oː ˈsʊr.ɡɪt ‖ ˈkʰoː.kʷʊs ˈɛst iːˈräː.tʊs ‖ ˈpʰɛs.tɪs ‖ ˈfʊr.kɪ.fɛr ‖ ˈkʰo.kʷʊs ˈkʰläː.mät ‖ ˈkʰɛr.bɛ.rʊs ˈɛk.sɪt ‖]
Caecilius-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in garden-m.s.abl ‖ Caecilius-m.s.nom in garden-m.s.abl sit-3s.pres.indic ‖ slave-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in "reception hall"-n.s.abl ‖ slave-m.s.nom in "reception hall"-n.s.abl work-3s.pres.indic ‖ Metella-f.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in "reception hall"-n.s.abl ‖ Metella-f.s.nom in "reception hall"-m.s.abl sit-3s.pres.indic ‖ Quintus-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in study-n.s.abl ‖ Quintus-m.s.nom in study-n.s.abl write-3s.pres.indic ‖ Cerberus-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in street-f.s.abl ‖
cook-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in kitchen-m.s.abl ‖ cook-m.s.nom in kitchen-m.s.abl sleep-3s.pres.indic ‖ Cerberus-m.s.nom enter-3s.pres.indic ‖ Cerberus-m.s.nom "look around"-3s.pres.indic ‖ food-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in table-f.s.abl ‖ dog-m.s.nom jump-3s.pres.indic ‖ dog-m.s.nom in table-f.s.abl stand-3s.pres.indic ‖ Grumio-m.s.nom snore-3s.pres.indic ‖ dog-m.s.nom bark-3s.pres.indic ‖ Grumio-m.s.nom "get up"-3s.pres.indic ‖ cook-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic angry-m.s.nom ‖ pest.f.s.voc ‖ scoundrel.m.s.voc ‖ cook-m.s.nom shout-3s.pres.indic ‖ Cerberus-m.s.nom "goes out"-3s.pres.indic ‖
Caecilius is in the garden. Caecilius is sitting in the garden. A slave is in the reception hall. The slave is working in the reception hall. Metella is in the reception hall. Metella is sitting in the reception hall. Quintus is in the study. Quintus is writing in the study. Cerberus is on a street.
A cook is in the kitchen. The cook is sleeping in the kitchen. Cerberus enters. Cerberus looks around. Food is on the table. The dog jumps. The dog stands on the table. Grumio snores. The dog barks. Grumio gets up. The cook is angry. The cook shouts "Pest! Scoundrel!" Cerberus goes out of the kitchen.

Changes:
  1. Double short vowels and short vowel + long vowel combinations simplify to long vowels.
  2. Ablative, genitive, locative and vocative merge. All genitive becomes DÉ + ablative. All vocative becomes ECCE + ablative. Demonstrative pronouns keep genitive forms, but use the new vocative construction.
  3. Vocative construction loses prominence, merging with nominative.
  4. /kʷ/⟶/kw/.
  5. /wɪ wiː/⟶/yː/, which also comes from Greek words
  6. /uː/⟶/wu/
  7. /ou̯ ʊ/⟶/u/
  8. /oe̯/⟶/o.eː/
  9. /w/ geminates in between vowels.
  10. /w/⟶/ʷ/. /bʷ/⟶/wː/, /pʷ/⟶/bːu/. /rʷ lʷ/⟶/w/ before /u oː ɔ/ and /r l/ elsewhere, /sʷ/⟶/f/ (rule stays productive).
  11. /we/⟶/oː/
  12. /ae̯/⟶/ɛː/
  13. Nasal vowels within a word merge with long vowels. /ũ/ becomes /um/ before /f/, /un/ otherwise. Nasalisation stops as a productive process
  14. Loss of light unstressed syllables
  15. /ɛː/ loses length.
  16. Degeminiation of glides
  17. Monosyllable prepositions lose stress.
  18. In all words with four or more syllables, primary stress is on the first syllable and secondary on the penultimate. In other words, the first syllable gets primary stress.
  19. /ɪ/⟶/eː/⟶/ɛ/⟶∅ and /äː/⟶/ä/⟶/ɛ/⟶∅ in unstressed syllables. /ä/ is inserted in syllables to break up clusters (both final and initial) other than obstruent + liquid, /s/ + voiceless stop or /s/ + voiceless stop + /r/.
  20. /yː ʏ/ merge with /u/.
  21. /t/ is inserted between two vowels.
  22. a-umlaut: All long vowels lose phonemic length in a syllable before /ä/ and all close or near-close vowels lower to mid-open vowels.
  23. Final vowels are lost in words with at least three syllables. If this gives an illegal coda, delete extra consontants.
  24. /ä/⟶/ɐ/
  25. Long vowels lose phonetic length in non-stressed syllables.
  26. All consonants degeminate.
  27. Short vowels rise to merge with long vowels in open final syllables.
  28. Short vowels + /r/ in the same syllable become long vowels and lengthen succeeding consonants.
  29. /r/ in the coda becomes [ɽ]. After , it becomes [ɢ̆].
  30. Long vowels become phonemically short in all closed syllables except for monosyllables.
  31. /ɪ iː/⟶/i/
  32. If the penultimate vowel is long, so is the final.
  33. /au̯/⟶/ɛ/, labialises succeeding alveolar or velar stop.
  34. U-umlaut: any syllable with /u/, not /o/, causes the vowel of the preceding syllable to become rounded. Rounded short vowels then merge with the long vowels. /ɐ ä/ are not affected.
  35. /eu̯/⟶/ø/
  36. [ɢ̆], /t/ in onsets of unstressed closed syllables with short vowels or /i y u/, [kʰ] and [h]⟶/ʔ/. /ʔ/ becomes low tone when in the coda or in an onset cluster (rule stays productive).
  37. Low-tone long vowels lower and lose length.
  38. /f/⟶/h/ before any vowel except /y u/
  39. [kʷʰ]⟶[kʰ]
  40. Loss of aspiration and /h/
  41. /u/⟶/o/ in closed and open final syllables
  42. /o/⟶/u/ in open syllables except for final syllables
  43. /wo/⟶/u/
  44. /ɔ/⟶/o/
  45. /ʔ/ inserted between vowels, even between word boundaries
  46. /y/⟶/ʷi/ before consonants, /ø/ elsewhere. /ʔʷ/⟶/w/
  47. /t/⟶/˨n/ in codas
  48. All coda consonants except for /m n/ become low tone.
  49. /ɛ/⟶/ɜ/
  50. /ɐ/⟶/ɜ/ in unstressed syllables, /ä/ otherwise
  51. All vowels are phonetically long when stressed and short when unstressed, phonemic length has been gone as contrast for a while by now
  52. Long low tone vowels become middle tone vowels. Long middle tone vowels become high tone vowels.
  53. Completely different orthography
Ɂékyɂò en een ɂúto. Ɂékyɂò een ɂúto sédèn. Sýɂù en een áto. Sýɂù een áto búrèn. Ɂe en een áto. Ɂe een áto sédèn. Ɂónɂò en een blíno. Ɂónɂò een blíno skríbèn. Ɂýrò en een óta.
Ɂúkvò en een léna. Ɂúkvò een léna dúmèèn. Ɂýrò íntrèn. Ɂýrò wíkonspeɂèn. Wíbò en een mésa. Ɂánè sálèn. Ɂánè een mésa san. Grúɂo stéétèèn. Ɂánè látrèèn. Grúɂo sugèn. Ɂúkvò en éreɂò. "Peɂè! Fúɂa!" Ɂúkvò ɂlámèèn. Ɂýrò esèn.
/ˈʔɜ˦.kø˧.ʔo˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈʔu˦.to˧ ‖ ˈʔɜ˦.kø˧.ʔo˨ en˧ ˈʔu˦.to˧ ˈsɜ˦.dɜn˨ ‖ ˈsø˦.ʔu˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈä˦.to˧ ‖ ˈsø˦.ɂu˨ en˧ ˈä˦.to˧ ˈbu˦.rɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔɜ˧ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈä˦.to˧ ‖ ˈʔɜ˧ en˧ ˈä˦.to˧ ˈsɜ˦.dɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔon˦.ʔo˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈbli˦.no˧ ‖ ˈʔon˦.ʔo˨ en˧ ˈbli˦.no˧ ˈskri˦.bɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔø˦.ro˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈo˦.tä˧ ‖
ˈʔu˦.kʷo˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈlɜ˦.nä˧ ‖ ˈʔu˦.kʷo˨ en˧ ˈlɜ˦.nä˧ ˈdu˦.men˨ ‖ ˈʔø˦.ro˨ ˈin˦.trɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔø˦.ro˨ ˈwi˦.kon˧ˌspɜ˧.ʔɜn˨ ‖ ˈwi˦.bo˨ ˈɜn˧ en˧ ˈmɜ˦.sä˧ ‖ ˈʔä˦.nɜ˨ ˈsä˦.lɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔä˦.nɜ˨ en˧ ˈmɜ˦.sä˧ ˈsän˧ ‖ ˈɡru˦.ʔo˧ ˈste˦.ten˨ ‖ ˈʔä˦.nɜ˨ ˈlä˦.tren˨ ‖ ˈɡru˦.ʔo˧ ˈsu˧.ɡɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔu˦.kʷo˨ ˈɜn˧ ˈɜ˦.rɜ˧.ʔo˨ ‖ ˈpɜ˧.ʔɜ˨ ‖ ˈfu˦.ʔä˧ ‖ ˈʔu˦.kʷo˨ ˈʔlä˦.men˨ ‖ ˈʔø˦.ro˨ ˈɜ˧.sɜn˨ ‖/
[ˈʔɜː˦.kø˧.ʔo˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈʔuː˦.to˧ ‖ ˈʔɜː˦.kø˧.ʔo˨ ʔen˧ ˈʔuː˦.to˧ ˈsɜː˦.dɜn˨ ‖ ˈsøː˦.ʔu˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈäː˦.to˧ ‖ ˈsøː˦.ɂu˨ ʔen˧ ˈäː˦.to˧ ˈbuː˦.rɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔɜː˧ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈäː˦.to˧ ‖ ˈʔɜː˧ ʔen˧ ˈäː˦.to˧ ˈsɜː˦.dɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔoːn˦.ʔo˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈbliː˦.no˧ ‖ ˈʔoːn˦.ʔo˨ ʔen˧ ˈbliː˦.no˧ ˈskriː˦.bɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔøː˦.ro˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈoː˦.tä˧ ‖
ˈʔuː˦.kʷo˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈlɜː˦.nä˧ ‖ ˈʔuː˦.kʷo˨ ʔen˧ ˈlɜː˦.nä˧ ˈduː˦.men˨ ‖ ˈʔøː˦.ro˨ ˈʔiːn˦.trɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔøː˦.ro˨ ˈwiː˦.kon˧ˌspɜː˧.ʔɜn˨ ‖ ˈwiː˦.bo˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ en˧ ˈmɜː˦.sä˧ ‖ ˈʔäː˦.nɜ˨ ˈsäː˦.lɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔäː˦.nɜ˨ ʔen˧ ˈmɜː˦.sä˧ ˈsäːn˧ ‖ ˈɡruː˦.ʔo˧ ˈsteː˦.ten˨ ‖ ˈʔäː˦.nɜ˨ ˈläː˦.tren˨ ‖ ˈɡruː˦.ʔo˧ ˈsuː˧.ɡɜn˨ ‖ ˈʔuː˦.kʷo˨ ˈʔɜːn˧ ˈɜː˦.rɜ˧.ʔo˨ ‖ ˈpɜː˧.ʔɜ˨ ‖ ˈfuː˦.ʔä˧ ‖ ˈʔuː˦.kʷo˨ ˈʔläː˦.men˨ ‖ ˈʔøː˦.ro˨ ˈʔɜː˧.sɜn˨ ‖]
Ekewo-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in garden-m.s.abl ‖ Ekewo-m.s.nom in garden-m.s.abl sit-3s.pres.indic ‖ slave-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in "reception hall"-n.s.abl ‖ slave-m.s.nom in "reception hall"-n.s.abl work-3s.pres.indic ‖ E-f.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in "reception hall"-n.s.abl ‖ E-f.s.nom in "reception hall"-m.s.abl sit-3s.pres.indic ‖ Ono-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in study-n.s.abl ‖ Ono-m.s.nom in study-n.s.abl write-3s.pres.indic ‖ Ewro-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in street-f.s.abl ‖
cook-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in kitchen-m.s.abl ‖ cook-m.s.nom in kitchen-m.s.abl sleep-3s.pres.indic ‖ Ewro-m.s.nom enter-3s.pres.indic ‖ Ewro-m.s.nom "look around"-3s.pres.indic ‖ food-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic in table-f.s.abl ‖ dog-m.s.nom jump-3s.pres.indic ‖ dog-m.s.nom in table-f.s.abl stand-3s.pres.indic ‖ Gruo-m.s.nom snore-3s.pres.indic ‖ dog-m.s.nom bark-3s.pres.indic ‖ Gruo-m.s.nom "get up"-3s.pres.indic ‖ cook-m.s.nom be-3s.pres.indic angry-m.s.nom ‖ pest.f.s.nom ‖ scoundrel.m.s.nom ‖ cook-m.s.nom shout-3s.pres.indic ‖ Ewro-m.s.nom "goes out"-3s.pres.indic ‖
Ekewo is in the garden. Ekewo is sitting in the garden. A slave is in the reception hall. The slave is working in the reception hall. E is in the reception hall. E is sitting in the reception hall. Ono is in the study. Ono is writing in the study. Ewro is on a street.
A cook is in the kitchen. The cook is sleeping in the kitchen. Ewro enters. Ewro looks around. Food is on the table. The dog jumps. The dog stands on the table. Gruo snores. The dog barks. Gruo gets up. The cook is angry. The cook shouts "Pest! Scoundrel!" Ewro goes out of the kitchen.
kårroť

xroox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xroox »

It doesn't look like Latin already :o
Queso: ¿qué es eso? -- Eso es queso

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I know.
kårroť

xroox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xroox »

• øː>eː
  • ɜː>eː>iː>ɨː
  • ø>e>i
  • ɜ>ɨ
  • V>∅/V́C(ʔ,h)_#, tone goes to the stressed vowel.
  • VCʔ{V,#}>VʔC{V,#}
  • kʷ>q
  • ʔ>∅/#_V
/ˈe˦.ke˧.ʔo˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈut˦˧ ‖ ˈe˦.ke˧.ʔo˨ in˧ ˈut˦˧ ˈse˦.dɨn˨ ‖ ˈsiʔ˦˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ‖ ˈsiʔ˦˨ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ˈbu˦.rɨn˨ ‖ ˈe˧ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ‖ ˈe˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ˈse˦.dɨn˨ ‖ ˈoʔn˦˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈblɨn˦˧ ‖ ˈoʔn˦˨ in˧ ˈblɨn˦˧ ˈskrɨ˦.bɨn˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈot˦˧ ‖
ˈuq˦˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈlen˦˧ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ in˧ ˈlen˦˧ ˈdu˦.min˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈɨn˦.trɨn˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈwɨ˦.kon˧ˌspe˧.ʔɨn˨ ‖ ˈwɨb˦˨ ˈen˧ in˧ ˈmes˦˧ ‖ ˈän˦˨ ˈsä˦.lɨn˨ ‖ ˈän˦˨ in˧ ˈmes˦˧ ˈsän˧ ‖ ˈɡruʔ˦˧ ˈsti˦.tin˨ ‖ ˈän˦˨ ˈlä˦.trin˨ ‖ ˈɡruʔ˦˧ ˈsu˧.ɡɨn˨ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ ˈen˧ ˈe˦.rɨ˧.ʔo˨ ‖ ˈpeʔ˧˨ ‖ ˈfuʔ˦˧ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ ˈlä˦.min˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈe˧.sɨn˨ ‖/

Ékexò en in üt. Ékexò in üt sédỳn. Sîx en in ät. Sîx in ät búrỳn. E en in ät. E in ät sédỳn. Ôxn en in blÿn. Ôxn in blÿn skrýbỳn. Îr en in öt.
Ûq en in lën. Ûq in lën dúmìn. Îr ýntrỳn. Îr wýkonˌspexỳn. Wŷb en in mës. Ân sálỳn. Ân in mës san. Grüx stítìn. Ân látrìn. Grüx sugỳn. Ûq en éryxò. pẽx! Füx! Ûq xlámìn. Îr esỳn.
Queso: ¿qué es eso? -- Eso es queso

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

1. b d ɡ :> v ð ɣ / V_V
  2. p t k :> b d ɡ / V_V
  3. Stressed /e o/ becomes /je wo/.
  4. j w :> ʒ v EXCEPT after a consonant.
/ˈʒe˦.ɡe˧.ʔo˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈut˦˧ ‖ ˈʒe˦.ɡe˧.ʔo˨ in˧ ˈut˦˧ ˈsje˦.ðɨn˨ ‖ ˈsiʔ˦˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ‖ ˈsiʔ˦˨ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ˈbu˦.rɨn˨ ‖ ˈʒe˧ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ‖ ˈʒe˧ in˧ ˈät˦˧ ˈsje˦.ðɨn˨ ‖ ˈvoʔn˦˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈblɨn˦˧ ‖ ˈvoʔn˦˨ in˧ ˈblɨn˦˧ ˈskrɨ˦.vɨn˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈot˦˧ ‖
ˈuq˦˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈljen˦˧ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ in˧ ˈljen˦˧ ˈdu˦.min˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈɨn˦.trɨn˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈvɨ˦.ɡon˧ˌspe˧.ʔɨn˨ ‖ ˈvɨb˦˨ ˈʒen˧ in˧ ˈmjes˦˧ ‖ ˈän˦˨ ˈsä˦.lɨn˨ ‖ ˈän˦˨ in˧ ˈmjes˦˧ ˈsän˧ ‖ ˈɡruʔ˦˧ ˈsti˦.din˨ ‖ ˈän˦˨ ˈlä˦.trin˨ ‖ ˈɡruʔ˦˧ ˈsu˧.ɣɨn˨ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ ˈʒen˧ ˈʒe˦.rɨ˧.ʔo˨ ‖ ˈpjeʔ˧˨ ‖ ˈfuʔ˦˧ ‖ ˈuq˦˨ ˈlä˦.min˨ ‖ ˈir˦˨ ˈje˧.sɨn˨ ‖/

Proto-Wideriver

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

˦/˥/_
˨/˩/_
˥˩/˩/_
ˈ//_
e/ɛ/_
jɛ/e/_
wo/u/_
s/ʰ/_S
n/̃/_T
ʔ̃/\\/_
[ðɣq]/ʕ/_
.//_
ä/a/_
Vr/ɚ/_T
[td]/n/_T
[kɡ]/ŋ/_T
[pb]/m/_T
Ṽ/O/_
ɛ̃/ə/_
ɨ̃/ɨ/_
ɨ/ɯ/_
ʰS/\\/_
ʰr/\\/_
Sr/t͡ʂ/_
Zr/d͡ʐ/_
t͡ʂʰ/ʂ/_
tʰ/θ/_
pʰ/f/_
kʰ/x/_
/ʰ/S_/_͡ʂ
t͡ʂ/t͡ʂʰ/_
Z/Sʰ/_
tʰ͡ʐ/t͡ʂ/_
ʰl//_

V=aeiou
O=ɑəɪɔɔ
L=āēīōū
C=ptcqbdgmnlrhs
F=ie
B=ou
S=ptk
Z=bdɡ
T=˥˦˧˨˩
[ʒɛ˥kʰɛ˧ʔo˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ un˥˧ ‖ ʒɛ˥kʰɛ˧ʔo˩ ɪ˧ un˥˧ se˥ʕɯ˩ ‖ siʔ˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ an˥˧ ‖ siʔ˩ ɪ˧ an˥˧ pʰu˥rɯ˩ ‖ ʒɛ˧ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ an˥˧ ‖ ʒɛ˧ ɪ˧ an˥˧ se˥ʕɯ˩ ‖ vɔʔ˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ pɯ˥˧ ‖ vɔʔ˩ ɪ˧ pɯ˥˧ ʂɯ˥vɯ˩ ‖ ɚ˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ on˥˧ ‖
uʕ˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ lə˥˧ ‖ uʕ˩ ɪ˧ lə˥˧ tʰu˥mɪ˩ ‖ ɚ˩ ɯ˥t͡ʂʰɯ˩ ‖ ɚ˩ vɯ˥kʰɔ˧ˌfɛ˧ʔɯ˩ ‖ vɯm˩ ʒə˧ ɪ˧ mes˥˧ ‖ ɑ˩ sa˥lɯ˩ ‖ ɑ˩ ɪ˧ mes˥˧ sɑ˧ ‖ t͡ʂuʔ˥˧ θi˥tʰɪ˩ ‖ ɑ˩ la˥t͡ʂʰɪ˩ ‖ t͡ʂuʔ˥˧ su˧ʕɯ˩ ‖ uʕ˩ ʒə˧ ʒɛ˥rɯ˧ʔo˩ ‖ pʰeʔ˧˩ ‖ fuʔ˥˧ ‖ uʕ˩ la˥mɪ˩ ‖ ɚ˩ e˧sɯ˩ ‖]