Riograndense

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Riograndense

Post by Daedolon »

It is spoken in the fictional Rio Grande Republic, around 2100 AD.

The origin:
This is based on an alternate history, where Argentina and Cisplatina lost the Cisplatine War(1825-1828) to Brazil, and therefore Cisplatina continued to be part of Brazil. Fast forward to the Ragamuffin War (1835–1845), with the aid of a vengeful Argentina, the rebels (consisting of Cisplatina, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul) manage to win the war against Brazil and become independent under the name of Banda Oriental. Fast forward to the Paraguayan War (1864-1870), Band Oriental joins the war on Paraguay's side and win against Argentina and Brazil, and robbing Misiones, Entre Ríos and Corrientes from Argentina, and therefore it is renamed to Rio Grande, while Paraguay robs Parana and the southern part of Mato Grosso do Sul from Brazil. Later on, Paraguay is defeated at the Chaco War (1883-1886), and loses the whole Gran Chaco region and its part of Mato Grosso do Sul to Bolivia. Even later on, Paraguay is defeated at the Second Paraguayan War (1899-1903) by Rio Grande and is annexed by it.

My idea is for it to be a mix of Spanish and Portuguese. The lexicon will mostly Portuguese and the phonology mostly Spanish, to achieve this I will apply the expressive sound changes from Spanish to Old Portuguese words. The will be grammar like a creole out of them. Well, ~300 years seems to me too little time to differentiate it enough from either to allow it be called a new language and the time frame doesn't really fit but anyway let move on.

/m n ɲ/ <m n ñ>
/p b t d~ð k g~ɣ/ <p b t d c g>
/tʃ/ <ch>
/β f θ s ʃ x/ <v f z s x j>
/j w r ɾ l ʎ/ <y ü rr r l ll>

/i u e o a/ <i u e o a>

Some examples:

Numbers
unu, doüs, tres, cüatro, sej, syete, ocho, nüeve, dyez

Months:
xaneyro, fevreyro, marzo, abril, mayo, xuño, xullo, agosto, setembro, ochubro, novembro, dezembro

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Riograndense

Post by mèþru »

Read about Uruguayan Portuguese, which has a lot of Spanish influence, Portuñol, which is an unstructured form of your basic concept and Galician, which is the sister language of Portuguese with heavy amounts of Castilian influence. Old Portuguese is considered to be before the 15th century.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

youkai01
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Riograndense

Post by youkai01 »

how do you say o sul é o meu país in this lang lmao