[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Life on a gas giant, the conworld

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:43 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Ever wondered if a gas giant might harbor life? intelligent life even? here's your chance to find out!

yup, here it is. it is extremely barebones as of now, but I thought I'd share and get some feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I've always been fascinated by this possibility.

I look forward to details.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I can't find it now, but a while ago, I saw a documentary that at least partially touched on the subject of this possibility. On Jupiter, specifically. Beings spoken off were ones with, for example, air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below. There were others, but I can't remember them now. Everything was flying, anyway.

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
I read a scifi book with some aliens that were, as you say Skomakar'n, "air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below". Can't remember what book it was now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Now that I recall, I do remember coming across it somewhere... there was a book, or website, or something, where someone hypothesized what life on other planets in the solar system might be like. I think he/she took some liberties because there were hypothesized life forms for every planet.

Anyhow, intersting stuff. Moar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I imagine they would probably be very big since the density of air is so low. Though some scientists believe Jupiter has liquid deep inside it, and maybe even solid rock at the very center, the temperature (36000°C) and pressure (3 million times more than Earth's surface) would be too severe to support anything like what we could call life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Will any species in this conworld be able to use language?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

i'm having trouble imagining what it looks like. do you have any drawings or anything?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Attachments:
Greenclouds.jpg
Greenclouds.jpg [ 14.27 KiB | Viewed 19616 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:05 am 
Sanci
Sanci

A couple interesting links I found about life on gas giant worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Have all the cells in this world, both of single and multi-cellular life developed structures similar to the large central vacuoles in plant cells, but filled with gas instead of fluid?

And do any of the organisms (most likely larger creatures) have a way to change their buoyancy and thus not be confined to one layer of atmospheric pressure?

Lastly, are there any floating biomass islands, perhaps on which not floating/swimming creatures could evolve?

This may be one of the most intriguing conworlds Iv'e come across.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am 
Sanci
Sanci

This is looking very promising. Please sir, may I have some more?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Okay, first illustration-like thingie of this world. It's a species of glider that's flying inside the cloudmoss layer.

Attachments:
gliders gonna glide.jpg
gliders gonna glide.jpg [ 90.17 KiB | Viewed 19494 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I really like this - eagerly anticipating more development. Is it in the same star system as Suenu?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Would the most intelligent of species on your conwolrd, the Nephelai I believe you call them, have any real type of technology or tool use? I think that could pose a problem for creating such a thing as culture, with the absence of any sort of stone, wood, metal etc. And what physical shape would they have? Similar to that of the creature you posted in this thread?