Game: The conlang dictionary

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Game: The conlang dictionary

Post by Jonlang »

This may have been done here before, but I don't recall seeing it. The idea is to make this a kind of game where people can share snippets of their conlangs, so please don't let it spiral into long debates or arguments which seem to happen around here, there are other threads and PMs for that.

Rules of the game:
1. There will be a list of 5 random English words, you tell us what these are in your conlang(s).
2.. Once a fair amount of time has passed someone can post another list of words (no more than 5 at a time).
3. You don't have to post the IPA for your conlangs, but you can. But it can be a pretty tedious job.
4. You can, if you wish, give etymologies and additional info for your translations.
5. If you haven't got a word for one in the list yet, just leave it, or use the opportunity for some word-building :wink:
6. This may be obvious, but try not to include words already done in future lists.

Sound good?

The first five words are (keeping it simple):

Cat
Dog
Drink (verb)
Eat
Red

I'll post mine translations later, when I have more time.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Game: The conlang dictionary

Post by Vijay »

Meow
Bow
Agrrr
Agrrr ('drink' is the same as 'eat')
Xrrap rrang (literally 'blood color')
:D

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Game: The conlang dictionary

Post by hwhatting »

We're doing something like this already in the "Lexicon Building" thread; do we really need a second thread with slightly different rules?