Native American survival scenario

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Native American survival scenario

Post by mèþru »

The island of Tabarka is taken by Tunisian forces. The population fled to Pegli, which is where they had com from in 1541.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The national instrument of Minguanne is the Boha electronique, invented in the early 1960s as a joke instrument. It was then popularised by a band that does whatever the ATL equivalent of folk rock and avant-garde.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Music among the French-Indian upper class of 17th to 19th centuries Madagascar: the main musical styles are instrumentals from the 1670s-1680s French classical music and devotional music from northern India. The main instruments are fortepiano (a status symbol, as even the cheapest ones are imported at high cost from France), tambura and swarmandal. These are called pano, tampura and swarmandel in the pidgin. Thus, the two Indian instruments are borrowed as tampouré and soirmandel in French, which then spreads to other European languages as the names of those instruments:
  • Castilian tampuro y suarmandal
  • English tampoure and ſoirmandel
  • Gaelic tampuroi agus suarmandal
  • German tampur und ſwarmändel
  • Pamplonese tampure eta swarmandel
  • Russian тампурэ и свармандел
  • Traatung tampɥre and swomandel
  • Yiddish טאַמפּורע און שװאַרמאַנדעל
The devotional music is used as settings of Catholic hymns, as the Indian settlers are converts to Latin Rite Catholicism from Hinduism.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Barbados is colonised by the Dutch. It is called Bebaarde in Dutch, and this becomes its main name internationally. The original name is preserved in the local creole (Dutch seems to have been the initial lexical base, but Portuguese and African influences have produced a creole with no dominant “base”). The local creole is called Barbados Tuba (“Bajan Talk”, tuba coming from kiKongo).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The Ottomans are kicked out of Sicily in 1671. They will retain Malta, Pantelleria and the Pelagie Islands. Spain won't give the Knights of St. John a new base, which leads to their end as a political power and as a territory-holding power, but their organisation remains.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The sanjak is renamed the Sanjak of Malta. The Pelagie islands were transferred to the Eyalet of the Archipelago as the Sanjak of Pelecie. Greek sponge divers were brought over from the Eyalet to colonise the then uninhabited islands. Due to a lack of contact and influence from Turkish sailors, soldiers and traders, the islands' dialect is hard for other Greek speakers to understand - about 80% intelligible. It is also written in Arabic script (as the islanders were illiterate until the end of the early 20th century). 73% of the population is Orthodox, the rest being Sunni. 80% of the population has a basic understanding of Turkish, while 35% can speak it fluently. The islands were transferred back to Tunisia in the 19th century. Along with Malta, Djerba and Tabarka, the Pelagie islands have considerable autonomy. The islands have the same bishop as Kalymnos. The islands are now a significant tourist site, famous for its scenic beaches, diverse marine life and the Museum of the Pelagies. The museum is run by the government of the islands. It is both a museum of history, a sanctuary for the breeding grounds of loggerhead turtles and a museum of sea life in the Mediterranean. The name of the language spoken on the islands is Romaikos. It is known as Rumaikan in English, Roumaiquenne in French and Rumaikés in Spanish. Names of the islands: Labudiza, Lenuza, Labiuni.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Anyone has information relevant to late 17th century Greek in the area of Kalymnos? I'm making a document for Rumaikan, and I want to avoid using features of Modern Standard Greek that didn't exist on the island at the time.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AGF ... HcfFk/edit
I don't think I'm developing the conlang further. I don't know what exactly where the gemination happens, so I give two forms for a lot of native vocabulary. I'm also not sure if the base dialect even has aspiration on the geminates, or if that's just a Cypriot feature. Same in regards to whether the long rhotic is trilled. It's supposed to be very informal and entirely demotic.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Russo-Persian War lasts until 1655. Kakheti becomes a Russian vassal and expands its southern border to the Kura river west of Gəncə. In this new land, a Georgian based pidgin arises. Not including modern era words, the language's lexicon splits something like this: Georgian 47%, Ossetian 28%, Azerbaijani 18%, Arabic 6%, Russian 1%. Most modern era words are Russian borrowings.

Phonology:
More: show
/p b t d k ɡ
m n
r
f v s z ʃ ʒ x ɣ h
t͡ʃ d͡ʒ
j w
l/

/i u
ɛ ɔ
ä/
In the meanwhile, the Mughals manage to regain Qandahar in 1652 using cannons sold to them by the French. They then retake Samarqand from the Uzebks in 1653, which cause the Uzbeks to surrender. The capital is moved from Delhi to Samarqand, a move that would be reversed when Dara Shukoh becomes sultan. In 1654, the Safavids give up, ending the war.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

In OTL Safi I was succeeded by his second son. In ATL, he is succeeded by his first son, who is crowned Abbas II. He dies in late 1654 with no children. He had blinded all of his brothers at that point, leading to a succession crisis. I'm not sure if there are even any remaining dynasts at that point. During all of this, a rebellion starting in Abadan lead by Lurs and Arabs succeeds. Even through it started in the mainly Arab areas, a Lur was chosen as the Shah of Sheikhs. He immediately began forging alliances with Sunni states in the Gulf who were tributaries to the Safavids and with the enemies of the Ottoman Empire in the northern part of Saudi Arabia. This puts the new state in opposition with the French, who are cooperating with the Ottomans. Bukhara, in the meanwhile, seizes everything that was still under Safavid control from Gomishan to Baghlan. I'm going to revise the Russo-Persian war again to include even more gains for Russia.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The Russo-Persian continues into 1657. Instead of expanding Kakheti the way I mentioned previously, Russia expands all the way to the Alborz mountains. They give the ethnic Georgian parts of Azerbaijan back to Kakheti. Iranian Armenia becomes a vassal of Russia with religious freedom. During the war, at least 30% of Azerbaijan's population flees to Iranian Azerbaijan. Russian colonies are founded in the emptied lands. The Kingdom of Kartli is left surrounded by enemies and would be conquered by Kakheti during 1660-1662. Kakheti then moved its capital to Tbilisi, where the king is symbolically recrowned as the King of Georgia. This threatened the legitimacy of the King of Imereti, an Ottoman vassal. Georgia then attacked Imereti in 1665, causing the Third Ottoman-Russian War.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Unprepared and with the bulk of the nation's resources committed to the Sicily War, the Ottoman Empire lost most of Georgia. The Turkish settlers in Meskheti were kicked out by the Russians. I'm changing the War in Sicily so that the Ottomans evacuate themselves from Sicily in 1667 and negotiate a peace in 1668. WIth the 1668 campaign, they manage to push the Georgians out of the southwestern half of Meskheti. The border then stayed stable for 3 years. At that point, attrition began wearing the Georgians down while the Ottoman supply lines kept being destroyed or seized by Armenians. The Ottomans began deporting Armenians from eastern Erzurum and Kars to Van and western Erzurum. The Georgians were completely pushed out of Meskheti and faced rebellions by pro-Imereti nobles and bribed members of the army. The Ottomans and Georgians agreed to status quo antebellum in the end of 1671. The Ottomans then had to deal with the Khuzestan Arabs, who invaded Iraq in March 1671. That war lasted until December 1673 before status quo antebellum was agreed to as well. Many in the Ottoman Empire felt that the wars were handled incompetently. As Ibrahim had been getting old and wanted to see a smooth succession, he abdicated in favour of his oldest son, Mehmed.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Just found out that the ruler of Imereti's regent and step-mother was the daughter of the King of Kakheti. I'll have the kingdom voluntarily become the vassal of Georgia. That pushes the war back to 1660. The Ottomans aren't as committed in Sicily, so I'll have them fight in Sicily rather than evacuate, with the war ending in 1669 or 1670. The Georgians find it much harder to take over Meskheti, only going as far as Lake Çıldır. The war ends with a victory for the Georgians, who manage to conquer all of Georgia except for Meskheti, of which they only take the northern and eastern third. The Ottomans surrender in 1671 in order to deal with the Khuzestan Arabs, and everything else proceeds as in the last post. The deportation of the Armenians doesn't happen.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Various Kurdish tribes pledge allegiance to the Ottomans to protect themselves from each other, the Lurs and the Azeris. In 1675, Mehmed leads a campaign to conquer the Azeris and northern Iran, which is ruled by one of the successor states of the Safavids and the area of Markazi province and northwestern Isfahan province, which is ruled by a buffer state. The campaign ends in 1701. The new conquests are split into four eyalets: Kaşan Eyalet, Kum Eyalet, Sari Eyalet and Tebriz Eyalet. The Ottomans then demand the Uzbeks to give tribute as Mehmed is their Caliph, which the Uzbeks agree to.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Before all of this, Shah Jahan sent Aurangzeb to invade the other half of Persia, starting with the mainly Sunni areas of Balochistan and the Hormuz. They then moved to take everything between Herat, the Uzbeki area, their lands before the war and the Hormuz. They also take over Shiraz and Bushehr. By Shah Jahan's death (which I'm going to say is about 1674 in ATL), the Mughals stretch all the way to Bayazeh. During the Ottoman invasion, they take over Gorgan, Sari, Amol and Tehran, so there is no Sari eyalet. The remnants of Persia then seek the protection of the Shah of Khuzestan. The Shah upgraded his title to Shahanshah after that. Luri and Arabic both served as court languages of Khuzestan. The Shahs promoted Usuli Twelvism and tried to end the presence of mystical sects and non-Muslim faiths.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Abadan was under the semi-independent and at the time Sunni Banu Ka'b, so replace every mention of Abadan with Mahshahr. The Banu Ka'b are made obedient to Khuzestan after its independence and were allowed to keep their religion. After the Khuzi-Ottoman War, Khuzestan gave up authority over the subgroups of the Banu Ka'b living in the Ottoman Empire. The Bani Khalid and Banu Tamim, however, were recognized as subject nations of Khuzestan. Also, I think that Dara Shukoh will keep the capital in Samarkand.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

I like the look of Basa Basar, but why do you have a change /e o/ > /i u/ when the vast majority of languages of New Guinea have mid vowels?

Aside from that I don't really have much else to say; I have neither the history nor conworlding chops to really comment (which is why I threw this out into the wider community to begin with), and I would try and bone up so I can try and contribute myself but then I don't really have the time for that anymore. So the best thing probably is to assume my approval of anything new, but try and seek others to join in who have more experience than myself. Maybe try some of the people on the CBB.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'd rather keep this on one board because I don't want to have to juggle between two overlapping conlang communities. If anyone here wants to collaborate, email me at methru.glenpleksalutu at gmail.com and I'll give you editing privileges.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

guêlin /ɡeˈlɪ̃/ is the name of the language spoken by the descendants of the Irish settlers in France, as well as their name for the Irish ethnicity. The people and language are generally called gueline in French, but irlandais is often used in formal contexts. What would the people and language be called in English? They need to be distinguished in English from other Irish people who live in France.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:guêlin /ɡeˈlɪ̃/ is the name of the language spoken by the descendants of the Irish settlers in France, as well as their name for the Irish ethnicity. The people and language are generally called gueline in French, but irlandais is often used in formal contexts. What would the people and language be called in English? They need to be distinguished in English from other Irish people who live in France.
The Gallo-Irish perhaps? (Also yeah, that's an interesting idea, I was wondering what that was)

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Thanks. I like Gallo-Irish much better than "Guelinese" or "Guelinan". The deal behind Basa Basar's vowels is the original contact area lacked /e o/. I don't remember the languages though.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Never mind, it's because of Philippine influence.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:Never mind, it's because of Philippine influence.
Where's the Philipine influence coming from though? Are you saying there's enough of a Filipino presence on Ternate and adjacent islands in ATL to pull the languages in that direction? If so then why is the stop voicing contrast lost? Also I have strong doubts that Philippine influence would be responsible for this change, given how the Philippine languages in OTL were more than happy to phonemicise mid vowels themselves, unless you're also proposing reduced European presence in the Philippines as well, which is understandable.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Yes, but Filipino has not actaully completely phonemicised /e o/. They serve as marginal phonemes and are absent in several sociolects. There is a heavy influence of Philippine languages in general rather than any specific one as these were major trade languages, were more familiar to the Spanish than Malay and because many of the traders were non-Spaniards from the Philippines. The Spanish influence is more or less the same, except that it continues to a much greater extent in the 20th century as the Philippines are probably still part of Spain.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Also, some Papuan languages lack a voicing distinction.
kårroť