zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ooh, great big Iroquoian punch-up!

With the China and Taiwan thing, are you proposing a greater foreign presence in these areas than OTL?

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ooh, great big Iroquoian punch-up!

With the China and Taiwan thing, are you proposing a greater foreign presence in these areas than OTL?

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Kind of? I didn't really think that hard into it. It's just the Dutch could throw more weight int colonising as they don't have Spain to worry about (well, they are worrying about Spain but less because of that peace treaty and Charles I is a reliable ally to them in this althist)

The Dutch and Spanish colonised Taiwan in real life during this time period for pretty much the same reasons, but I'm giving them a heavier presence. Also, the Dutch are going to cooperate with the Qing dynasty against the very pirates they made friends with during the Ming in order to get more trade privileges. The Ducth side of Taiwan is still mostly settled by the Hoklo, but the Spanish side is mainly settled by the Spanish with a Macanese minority and an even smaller Han minority (not certain what subgroups, probably some Hoklo). The Hakka presence on the island is practically nonexistent in ATL.

The Mughals will remain the main power of India, and the French will be the major conduit of trade between India and Europe, not the English.

While France is currently no longer the major anti-Habsburg power, it might be that France will be the big empire of the 19th century rather than the British! Or maybe even the Spanish! With the way things are going on, I feel like the union between the Portuguese, Castilian and Aragonese crowns will stay even into the modern day. Modern-day Spain might be a federation with one state for each major linguistic group (of course, within the Castillian state there would be devolution to autonomous regions, like Extremadura, Andalusia and La Mancha) and much less separatism.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I'm currently working on Pamplonese. Here's a translation of Pere urek - Ke ei?:
More: show
Batida! Una guiçona abre lo ate.
“Jay, Juan!” Dize la guiçona xoven. “Como estás?”
“Ben, ben. Mas… por favor, xoven señor, quin forjú?”
“Formí Miguel!”
“Forjú Miguel? Mas quin Miguel?”
“Mas forjú no sabés? Túo cusino! Papáy mío Nicolás.”
“Forjú cusino mío? Eta Nicolás, quin forjé?”
“Nicolás… mama súa Rebeca.”
“Rebeca Torres? Forjé realmente tía! Eta entonces forjú deve cusino mío. Ben dater!”
“Rebeca Torres? Eç! avola mía Rebeca Gaçtía. Lo sinto, Juan. La mèson correcta eç.”
“Sí, lo sinto. Eta ademés, nome mío Juan eç! Formí Antonio!”

In English:
More: show
Knock! A man opens the door.
“Hello, Juan!” says the young man. “How are you?”
“Fine, fine. But… please, young man, who are you?”
“I'm Miguel!”
“You're Miguel? But who's Miguel?”
“But don't you know? Your cousin! My father is Nicolas.”
“You're my cousin? And Nicolas, who is he?”
“Nicolas… his mother is Rebeca.”
“Rebeca Torres? She is indeed my aunt! So you must be my cousin. Welcome!”
“Rebeca Torres? No, my grandmother is Rebeca Garcia. I'm sorry, Juan. I must have the wrong house.”
“Yes, I’m sorry. And besides, my name isn’t Juan! I'm Antonio!”
It's a draft. I changed the grammar something like seven times while writing this, and it will probably change more. Don't count on the words being the same either. The speakers probably come from near the capital, judging by the word choice and syntax. While they are both fluent, Miguel is a native speaker; Antonio is not.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8