Agglutinative Morphemes

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Škjakto
Niš
Niš

Agglutinative Morphemes

Post by Škjakto »

I'm sort of new to conlanging and I want to make a language just to get a feel for it. I'm thinking of making it an agglutinative language with few morphemes (along the lines of Finnish and most if not all Algonquin languages) and was wondering which morphemes to use. I do own all 3 of the Zompist's linguistics books, so feel free to reference any of those.
toki! mi nimi li Sajiman Petu. mi olin toki en sitelen en Toki Pona.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Agglutinative Morphemes

Post by Frislander »

Škjakto wrote:...an agglutinative language with few morphemes (along the lines ... most if not all Algonquin languages)
What? I've got an Algo-lang in development and I can tell you that a lot of morphology goes on in Algonquian!
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Škjakto is referring to the number of roots.
If you want an easy start with conlanging, make an altlang (short for alternate language, it is a language which developed differently due to an alternate history, This concept is known by many other names.)
Here is a link describing how to make one (the author calls it a bogolang).
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

I recommend using these morphemes: this, that, I, him, cat, semen, broil, dodecahedron, trilobyte, neodymium filing, Bolshevik, and a suffix marking the antipassive.

This should serve well enough for most languages.

(Bonus conjunction: and)

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I use the Leipzig-Jakarta list as a starter for the lexicon, but it doesn't necessarily apply for alien languages.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť