[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Trigender Biology Inquiry

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:47 pm 
Niš
Niš

The other day, I was thinking about a hypothetical mammalian species that somehow ended up with 3 genders. Gender A bears the sperm and fertilizes the egg. Gender B bears the egg. Once it is fertilized by A, it is moved to gender C which nurtures the egg and gives birth. My question is, hypothetically speaking, what would their reproductive systems look like? I don't think Gender A deviates at all from typical male genitals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

More likely is that either more than one gender gives birth or impregnates, as Gender C needs to pass on its genes so that there would be future generations of C. As some species are known for having dominant and submissive subgroups among males, it might no tbe hard to make the submisive group Gender C.
Transferred pregnancy seems like an unnecessary and risky feature. Perhaps Gender C takes care of the young in their early stages. The closest equivalent of carrying the pregnancy would be to carry the young in a pouch and feed them regurgitated food.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:34 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Isn't it already possible to see humans as having three genders? There is such a thing as intersex people, after all (for example).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:17 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Intersex people are rare and not really a biological sex as much as a group of various gender disorders.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:24 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I hate to be that guy but you're actually talking about trisexual biology. Gender is a facet of a sentient being's personal viewpoint on their identity, and is a cultural construct.

As for your mammals, OP, I don't see why C would really be needed. But if such a system did exist, I'd assume that both A would have masculine genitals (i.e a phallic injecter of seminal fluid). Then B would have both feminine and masculine genitals: a vagina-like orifice for accepting sperm from A, and a phallic one for injecting the now-fertilized egg into C (which would be solely feminine).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:57 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I agree with methru and Chagen, a transferred pregnancy looks like an unnecessary risk to me. A scenario with a 3rd sex nurturing the young after birth looks similar to what happens with state-building insects like ants or bees. IIRC, the workers (= nurturers) of these insect species are sexually stunted females.

Last edited by hwhatting on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:58 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Iain M. Banks' novel The Player of Games has a humanoid alien race with three sexes. If I recall correctly, their equivalent of your B-gender had some kind of invertible genitalia that could function as both vagina and ovipositor.

Apropos of nothing, however, did you know that female spotted hyenas have super-sized clitorises called "pseudo-penises" which they use for mating, giving birth, and urinating, and which are nearly as large as regular penises on males, making the two sexes almost impossible to distinguish visually?

Last edited by Xephyr on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Actually, you can distinguish them by size. A hyena clitoris is much bigger than a hyena penis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:02 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Really? Guess I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:38 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I am not sure how to say it in terms that are not offensive, but I don't mean to say that anything is wrong or unnatural about intersex people:
Intersex people tend to have some genetic disorder and/or hormone imbalance. Other then that, they have X chromosomes and sometimes Y chromosomes, just like females and males. Their rareness is completely irrelevant. I have no idea about why I said it, so I feel stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:33 am 
Lebom
Lebom

There is of course another possible option...at least genetically. Correct me if I'm wrong, here, but we rely for determination of male or female on the X and Y chromosomes, yes? Is it possible, therefore, to have a second set of chromosomes, the combinations of which might provide an extra variation? So, for example, if one were to have chromosome pair HT (hypothetical) as well, providing the possibility of either parthenogenesis or perhaps equal ability to pass or receive gametes, and have T as only being active when combined with an XX pair in the other set, this would give us:
HHXX--full female
HHXY--full male
HTXX--meel™ "third form" (originally mieler /mi:lǝɹ/, from 14C French mielieur /miɛliœr/ 'better [form]', derived from Latin melior)
HTXY--"hidden third form" (indistinguishable from male)
That said, we're all looking at a standardized third sex at the same stage of the life cycle. Is it possible, for example, to have an animal that is sexually active and capable of reproduction at one stage of its life cycle in a hermaphroditic manner, which then undergoes metamorphosis and becomes either male or female? The cultural implications (assuming that a species with this system achieved sapience) might be interesting...

*And yes, I'm copyrighting it; don't know if I can, but I'm trying.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:36 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Switching sex is actually pretty common for fishes. For instance, many grouper species, individuals are first female then male.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:16 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am 
Smeric
Smeric

link provides nice, possibly inaccurate at times explanations of gender roles in various animals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Well, one easy way to do this would be to have a caste based biology as in many colonial insects.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I thought that the OP meant chromosomal sexes rather than behavioral groups.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:59 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 pm 
Sanno
Sanno