The SAE Grammar Test

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
HoskhMatriarch
Sanci
Sanci

The SAE Grammar Test

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

A while back there was the SAE (Phonology) Test. However, the SAE Sprachbund was initially defined primarily, if not exclusively, by grammatical features, and anyways, I get bored as hell of talking about phonology all the time when we can talk about syntax, morphology, pragmatics, and all the fun stuff (what inspired me to make a conlang was pretty much my love of grammar, as for a while the phonology in my favorite conlang at the time was pretty much just a German dialect with a few sounds added and taken away because I didn't GAF about the phonology, but the grammar was most certainly not). I'm also not going to title this "how not make an non-SAE grammar" or something because who cares if your grammar is SAE if that's what you want. This test was made by someone on the CWS Chat after I took the "SAE Test" and was like "where the hell are the grammar questions? It isn't titled 'SAE Phonology Test' so I expected lots and lots of grammar questions :/" (I even renamed the "SAE Test" to the "SAE Phonology Test" for a while when no one was looking but then changed it back so people wouldn't kill me if they saw it, and I might change it back too, because it is the SAE Phonology Test. Nothing wrong with a phonology test, but there's way more to a language than that).

Anyways, here is the SAE Grammar Test aka the real one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: The SAE Grammar Test

Post by Ser »

I think question 6 could be worded much better:
6. Anticausitive prominence: the intransitive verb is derived from the transitive. (e.g. The flame melts the ice -> The ice melts) [full marks for over 70% of intransitives derived from transitive; half marks for over 50%]
It's spelled "anticausative", but besides that, in Indo-European most intransitive verbs are NOT derived from the transitive. Haspelmath was specifically referring to what he calls "inchoative-causative alternations", like "boil", "melt", "get lost/lose", "rise/raise". The study Haspelmath refers to (which he himself carried out) compared only 31 such alternations. I happen to have access to the study, and the 31 pairs were:
  1. wake up
  2. break
  3. burn
  4. die/kill
  5. open
  6. close
  7. begin
  8. learn/teach
  9. gather
  10. spread
  11. sink
  12. change
  13. melt
  14. be destroyed/destroy
  15. get lost/lose
  16. develop
  17. connect
  18. boil
  19. rock
  20. go out/put out
  21. rise/raise
  22. finish
  23. turn
  24. roll
  25. freeze
  26. dissolve
  27. fill
  28. improve
  29. dry
  30. split
  31. stop
It'd be good if this list could be provided, so that if a language has anticausatives for > 50% or > 70% of the verbs of this list they could appropriately receive some points for SAE-ness.

I have similar criticism regarding the wording of question 10.
10. Equative constructions based on an adverbial-relative clause structure. (e.g. French grand comme un élephant).
It's spelled éléphant, but besides that, it's just confusing. But this is not necessarily you guys' fault as it is of the Wikipedian who added this to the article on SAE. (EDIT: I have edited the Wikipedia article improving its wording.)

The construction Haspelmath refers to is actually French si grand comme un éléphant, so, the equivalent of "[is/are] as big as an elephant", i.e. comparisons of equality, not the equivalent of "big like an elephant". Haspelmath refers to French comme, German wie (from so...vie), Russian kak (from tak zhe X kak Y), etc., as "adverbial relative pronouns", presumably because these are related to adverbial pronouns (notably interrogative ones?). (No idea why he calls them "relative" though.)

A much better wording would be, for example:
"10. The construction for comparison of equality is based on what Haspelmath calls adverbial relative pronouns, such as the equivalent of 'how'. (E.g. French si grand comme un éléphant, meaning "as big as an elephant", literally "so big how an elephant")."

I found question 24 confusing. What is a "specific" neither-nor construction exactly? What would be an example of a "non-specific" neither-nor construction?

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

we already have one of these

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42393&hilit=SAE+grammar
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Serafín wrote:I think question 6 could be worded much better:
6. Anticausitive prominence: the intransitive verb is derived from the transitive. (e.g. The flame melts the ice -> The ice melts) [full marks for over 70% of intransitives derived from transitive; half marks for over 50%]
It's spelled "anticausative", but besides that, in Indo-European most intransitive verbs are NOT derived from the transitive. Haspelmath was specifically referring to what he calls "inchoative-causative alternations", like "boil", "melt", "get lost/lose", "rise/raise". The study Haspelmath refers to (which he himself carried out) compared only 31 such alternations.
The English example is misleading: it's not clear, in English, if the transitive is derived from the intransitive or vice versa or neither - both intransitive and transitive alternants have the same form. Haspelmath is interested in pairs where the intransitive alternant is morphosyntactically marked in relation to the transitive: e.g. if you have transitive boil but intransitive ANTICAUS-boil. This contrasts with the more usual pattern outside Europe where you'd have something like intransitive boil and transitive CAUS-boil.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The SAE Phonology Test is really useful for people who are still working out their grammar. I feel like most people who have enough information about their language to take a grammar test can also take a phonology test. There should really be an Overall SAE-ness Test.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Thank you for posting that page. I originally came to ask a different question, but I see the qnswer now. Still, Im curious about something else, if any one knows. One of the menuitems says:

7. External possessors in dative case. (e.g. German Die mutter wusch dem Kinde die Haare, lit. the mother washes the child the hair)
What would the meaning be if "Kinde" was in the genitive instead? Would it just be ungrammatical and have no meaning? This question goes for any language, not just German.

I had never efven considered such a setup. Currently, in my main conlangs (all of them have simialr case setups), using the genitive here would be the appropriate choice, and if the dative* were used it would be "the mother washes the hair for the child" ... e.g. perhaps this kid is studsying to be a hairstylist but she outsources the job of actually washing people's hair to her mom. An odd supposition, yes, but I just stuck with the sentence provided.

-----

*My conlangs dont have a dative case, jsut a dative construction, but it behaves as if it was a case.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Soap wrote:
7. External possessors in dative case. (e.g. German Die mutter wusch dem Kinde die Haare, lit. the mother washes the child the hair)
What would the meaning be if "Kinde" was in the genitive instead? Would it just be ungrammatical and have no meaning? This question goes for any language, not just German.
I don't know about German, but Spanish uses external possessors as indirect objects too: La madre le lava el pelo al niño. Using an internal possessor, la madre lava el pelo del niño, wouldn't be ungrammatical IMO, but it's not as common or idiomatic, and IMO it'd tend to imply a different meaning (namely that the child is not personally affected by the washing, perhaps because the hair is not attached to his head (say, maybe the mother had her child's hair cut and is now washing it for some purpose)).

Hmmm... Let's try to look at another example where the above interpretation is more difficult.
  • ¡Maestra, Juan me jaló el pelo!
    'Ms. [name], Juan pulled my hair!' (said by a girl with a ponytail)
If we changed this to an internal possessor, Maestra, Juan jaló mi pelo... it'd still mean the hair is not attached to her head, or that she's not as equally affected by the hair pulling in some way like that.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Nothing wrong with a phonology test, but there's way more to a language than that).
mind

blown

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

cromulant wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:Nothing wrong with a phonology test, but there's way more to a language than that).
mind

blown
We can all be glad we have Hoskh around to share these breakthroughs with us.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I don't understand how this document works. The data that's already there, is it from various conlangers who have added it themselves?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Qwynegold wrote:I don't understand how this document works. The data that's already there, is it from various conlangers who have added it themselves?
Look at the language names bro, those are obviously conlangs. You can spot em a mile away. Also check out the comments below the data, how "Pach'o is getting particles or something now." It is unusual for such comments to be made about natlangs.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I added Khasoítoí, which is my conlang.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

garysk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by garysk »

Sorry for bumping this thread, and sorry for my ignorance. In my ken, SAE is an acronym for the Society of Automotive Engineers, which is commonly seen in the grading of motor oil (in the US anyway). Clearly, this is the TLA of some other entity. Anyone know?

Also, the SAE Phonology Test is mentioned without any link. Is this an internet entity that may be viewed?

Thanks in advance!
(Avatar is an electric motor consisting of a bit of wire, a couple of paper clips,
two neodymium magnets, and a pair of AA batteries. A very cute demo of
minimal technology, and likewise completely useless for any practical purpose.)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Uhhh standard average European.

The phonology test is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38945 I believe.

garysk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by garysk »

Thank you! I figured that it had something to do with European something, and now I recall reading the full phrase in other posts. And thanks for the link to the topic.
(Avatar is an electric motor consisting of a bit of wire, a couple of paper clips,
two neodymium magnets, and a pair of AA batteries. A very cute demo of
minimal technology, and likewise completely useless for any practical purpose.)

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

I think there is actually at least one European grammatical feature that is not listed by them: the tendency to use "adposition+verb" compound verbs or phrasal verbs, Germanic languages, Slavic languages and Latin do all show such a way to create new verbs, although I am not sure the situations about Romance languages. In other languages, at least in Asian languages, "verb+verb" compound verbs seem to be more common.

I personally think the tendency to use "adposition+verb" compound verbs or "spatial adverb+verb" compound verbs can be listed as a SAE grammatical feature
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

HazelFiver
Sanci
Sanci

Post by HazelFiver »

k1234567890y wrote:I think there is actually at least one European grammatical feature that is not listed by them: the tendency to use "adposition+verb" compound verbs or phrasal verbs, Germanic languages, Slavic languages and Latin do all show such a way to create new verbs, although I am not sure the situations about Romance languages. In other languages, at least in Asian languages, "verb+verb" compound verbs seem to be more common.

I personally think the tendency to use "adposition+verb" compound verbs or "spatial adverb+verb" compound verbs can be listed as a SAE grammatical feature
Celtic languages also have the adpositional verb prefixes (or had -- I'm not sure how productive they are anymore, and some of them no longer correspond to actual prepositions e.g. "di" and "cyf"), and I would guess that they are found in other IE branches as well. Celtic isn't considered part of SAE, though, so even that is enough to suggest that if anything it's an IE feature rather than SAE.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'm confused by 54. After careful reading of the WALS link in the document (23A), I thought I finally understood it, but now I'm not sure again. If a verb agrees with the subject in number and person while case on nouns are not marked/marked with prepositions depending on the case (completely unmarked on the verb), is it dependent marking, double marking or both? English, French and Spanish all have this situation and are shown in WALS as being dependent marking, no marking and double marking, respectively, without any examples.
kårroť

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

mèþru wrote:I'm confused by 54. After careful reading of the WALS link in the document (23A), I thought I finally understood it, but now I'm not sure again. If a verb agrees with the subject in number and person while case on nouns are not marked/marked with prepositions depending on the case (completely unmarked on the verb), is it dependent marking, double marking or both? English, French and Spanish all have this situation and are shown in WALS as being dependent marking, no marking and double marking, respectively, without any examples.
WALS 23A is strictly about how the Patient is marked. Subject marking is irrelevant. So if your language ever marks objects with a preposition, it is dependent marking. (Cases and adpositions are treated equivalently in this chapter, unlike other WALS chapters.) If it ever marks the object on the verb, it is head marking. If it does both of these things, it's double marking. Neither = no marking, even if it has an otherwise rich case system that doesn't distinguish A and P, and marks the A on the verb.

English should be "no marking." WALS isn't always consistent (or accurate).

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

English marks the dative with prepositions. So do French and Spanish. As far as I'm aware, none of them mark verbs for this, so they shouldn't they all be dependent marking? If you mean by patient the O argument, shouldn't all of them be no marking?
kårroť

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

The chapter looks solely at direct objects. Dative are not part of the equation:
WALS 23A wrote:By removing the points most prone to follow universal tendencies, we can distill the morphosyntactic range down to two phrase types: possessive phrase with noun possessor (e.g. neighbor's house, the color of grass) and direct or primary object in the transitive clause (e.g. wrote books, broke a glass).
I don't know French. The Spanish preposition a used with human direct objects meets the "dependent marking" criterion, and don't Spanish object pronouns sometimes glom onto verbs? This may earn it "head marking" points as well.

But like I said. WALS is a great resource for learning about linguistic typology, and getting a broad strokes picture of the geographic distribution of certain features, but when you get down to specifics...I have seen a lot if data points on WALS that didn't check out, or that were logically incompatible with other data points (if you apply their criteria rigorously).

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I have an equivalent posposition to Spanish a in Khásoitoi/Proto-Kkasetean with mostly the same usage (including that specific one), but the object does not "glom" onto verbs (at least I think it doesn't... What do you mean by "glom"?) .What does that make my conlang?
kårroť

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

By "glom" I mean they are enclitics. This is the only way I can think of the Spanish could be said to mark objects on the verb--though they aren't used with finite verbs.

I don't know why WALS considers Spanish to meet the conditions (as defined by WALS) for head marking. It could be a mistake, or there could be criteria they are applying that they don't mention in the chapter.

Hard to say about your conlang without examples. It sounds like it is at least dependent marking, and probably not double marking.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Thanks. I've figured it out.
kårroť