Ilosean Shayana, AKA this is your English on space drugs.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Ilosean Shayana, AKA this is your English on space drugs

Post by mèþru »

Knit Tie wrote:Mèþru, I doubt that the allophony shift can make sense if it occurs before the vowel deletion - I can see the yod-insertion arising spontaneously, but nothing else.
It occurs between the first and second elisions, of which the latter is the same as your current elision except sound changes I've introduced before it have made it affect more vowels.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Knit Tie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Knit Tie »

And here we go! Ilosean Shayana V 3.0, and I'm thinking of naming one of the famous in-universe poets Mètru (or, if you wish, Mèsru) in honour of your contribution to my conlang - perhaps he will be one of the pioneers of literature written in the colloquial speech of his time, as opposed to the older form of language that will have been dominating the writing until his advent?

Although I must ask you a question regarding your terminology, what exactly did you mean by
mèþru wrote:To compensate, /e̞ ɛ̃/ become short when between stressed syllables
and by
mèþru wrote:In addition, /i ĩ/ lower to /ɪ̆ ɪ̃̆/ when between stressed syllables
? I wrote these sound changes as occuring before stressed syllables in the document.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I didn't read over it close enough. I forget exactly what I meant, but I think it was shortening both between two long vowels and between a stressed short vowel and a long vowel.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Knit Tie wrote:I'm thinking of naming one of the famous in-universe poets Mètru (or, if you wish, Mèsru) in honour of your contribution to my conlang - perhaps he will be one of the pioneers of literature written in the colloquial speech of his time, as opposed to the older form of language that will have been dominating the writing until his advent?
I am deeply honoured. mèþru is pronounced as /ˈmɛθ̟.ru/ (I try to be exact with IPA, like I will not use /r/ to represent a phonemic non-trill. This is a phonemic, not phonetic, representation, but I think that it won't be that different when I finish the allophony of agefaqeg). If you give a specific period after I finish with Shayana 3.0, I can try to find the best phonetic representation of the time period. It might be tough on your end to find a good etymology explaining it.
kårroť

Knit Tie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Knit Tie »

Seeing how Shayana borrowed heavily from other languages (via assimilation of other peoples into the Liin society), I'd say that we need not bother with any etymology at all - we just say that it's a loanword. As for the phonetics, it's probably going to be pronounced as [mʲɛɐdɾ] (standard dialect), [mʲe:ʈ] (local Cockney analogue and related dialects), [mʲɛɐtɾ̥] (the Phoenicians) and [mʲi:dɾ] (the nomads) by the time the story takes place in-universe.