I have rough coastlines; where to go next?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
MysteryMan23
Sanci
Sanci

I have rough coastlines; where to go next?

Post by MysteryMan23 »

Okay, so I've come into a bit of a conundrum. I have rough shapes for my world's coastlines, but I don't know what to do next. I want to roughen up my coastlines a little before I continue, but so far, I've had little success in getting what I want. I'm considering just sticking with the coastlines I have for now, moving on to a height map, and using Wilbur to roughen the whole terrain, making the coastlines that way.

Any ideas? Advice? Thanks.

sam
Sanci
Sanci

Re: I have rough coastlines; where to go next?

Post by sam »

I came across this tutorial by way of the Cartographers' Guild (if you've never checked out that forum, they're really into all things map-related and have lots of useful stuff):

http://oldguygaming.com/realistic-coastlines-revisited

I did this to my map several times in sequence with different settings each time. Just keep messing around with it until you get what you want. You can do the whole planet, just parts of it, scale things around then do it again, anything to make it look even more random.

Post a picture when you're done. I love seeing maps of people's conworlds.

This is part of mine, zoomed in:
Attachments
I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turned out. Even way zoomed in it looks realistic enough for me.
I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turned out. Even way zoomed in it looks realistic enough for me.
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 2.18.45 PM.png (240.56 KiB) Viewed 1845 times